Windows 7 Punkbuster *FIX* Tutorial

Here is a post I did of a solution that worked for me, im not sure if it still works but you can give it a try. This tutorial is done for BattleField 2

Battlefield 2 and other Punkbuster Games That Don't Work Online Under WINDOWS 7 FIXED!!!

tlogo.gif

Hey guys,

Ive recently installed Windows 7 Beta Build 7000. Ive noticed some problems with Battlefield 2 and Battlefield 2142 after installing them onto WINDOWS 7 and did some research on the problems that were coming up here are the 2 problems I had:

Battlefield 2: Punkbuster Kick for Inadequate O/S Privileges (Which means administrative rights are not set, no admin rights?)

and

Battlefield 2142: Punkbuster Kick for Unknown Windows API funtion Error Code: 131131

So after doing a bunch of reading on the net, a lot of people were talking crap to the people with Windows 7 Beta Build 7000 and telling them oh what are you doing playing games on betas and basically complaining and not giving any help so I decided to figure it out and help those people that like WINDOWS 7 and just dont want to go back to crappy VISTA or the outdated XP so here is the fix step-by-step:

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Right click on the BF2 shortcut on desktop and click properties, (im sure your not a noob since you have windows 7 beta) so set your admin privileges to full control for bf2 and make sure you have "run as administrator" checked.

2. Right click on the shortcut on the desktop and click open file location and then do the same admin privileges on the actual BF2.exe

3. Last most important step, I think Battlefield 2 and Battlefield 2142 somehow dont allow Punkbuster update under Windows 7 so you have to do it manually.

Go to this link and download PBSetup:

http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=pbsetup.php

Install it and select your game and update Punkbuster through that program.

Thats it!!! It works flawlessly for me! and i hope it works for you!

P.s.

Also I almost forgot make sure your firewall and antivirus software isnt blocking any of the games or programs. I have Kaspersky and i made sure BF2 and BF2142 were under the TRUSTED section....

I dont know if this will work for everyone but I posted this because it worked for me under Window7 Beta 1 Build 7000

Post your results in this thread THX

I tried this last week, but I still kept getting kicked. It would be better if the PB devs would just support Vista/Windows 7 already because apparently the same issue happens on Vista too. Also, I got that Unknown Windows API function call error on Battlefield 2 as well as the Inadequate O/S Privileges error. I also got an error about bad drivers or something like that too. It's really annoying.

nice... i installed wolf et to test out and was getting annoyed i kept getting kicked.. lol

lol, yea i was getting annoyed also. i hope this tutorial fixes the issue

I tried this last week, but I still kept getting kicked. It would be better if the PB devs would just support Vista/Windows 7 already because apparently the same issue happens on Vista too. Also, I got that Unknown Windows API function call error on Battlefield 2 as well as the Inadequate O/S Privileges error. I also got an error about bad drivers or something like that too. It's really annoying.

Yea, ive also had problems with vista, but as for my windows 7 x64, most of my devices and drivers were installed automatically and work great but 1 or 2 couldnt be installed and I have used drivers from manufacture websites and just downloaded Vista x64 drivers for that device, it seemed to work. no problems as of yet.

Well, I installed the Windows 7 beta drivers from ATI for my Radeon 4870. Apparently PB doesn't like that, or it doesn't recognize that the drivers are fine. I may just uninstall BF2 though, I'm getting tired of messing with it. This is one of the biggest reasons I got a Xbox 360 lol.

• 3 weeks later...
This worked for me! :D Punkbuster was the only reason I've been dual-booting XP and 7. Now I will be able to switch completely to windows 7! Thanks!!!

your welcome! im glad it worked for you!

• 1 month later...

Running Build 7068, doesn't work for me (I'm assuming the guide was written for later versions or something has changed along the way).

I get the BF2142 error in BF2.

Here is a post I did of a solution that worked for me, im not sure if it still works but you can give it a try. This tutorial is done for BattleField 2

I dont know if this will work for everyone but I posted this because it worked for me under Window7 Beta 1 Build 7000

Post your results in this thread THX

BF 2 and BF2142 both worked for me from the get go with Punkbuster... The only problem i have with Punkbuster is with COD4, and i have tried replicating this process but applied to that, yet it still has a problem making calls to the API.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've tried everything still didn't work, I'm facing the same problem. When I connect to a non-PB server the game runs perfectly (that confirms that the problems is from PB).

I really don't feel like installing the game again, 5 cds ughh!