Why are widescreen TVs the new standard?

Ah, well good to know. I was wondering why more shows weren't being more readily updated to HD. I see that Hogan's Heros is now in syndication in Universal HD and it looks stunning, so sharp and crisp film transfers for a show from the 60s. The Seinfeld episodes, while much better quality than standard definition, still don't look near as sharp as Hogan's Heros which made think it was a post processing upscaling of some type.

Edited by Budious

I have quite a lot of DVD's in 4:3 as well as a lot of movies that are in 2:40:1...

That's the problem though with widescreen TVs. If you watch a lot of classic shows or a lot of movies (like The Matrix, LOTR, X-Men, etc), you're going to be watching stuff with black bars most of the time. I guess whatever type of TV you get now, you're screwed either way because they have soooo many different aspect ratios now. IMHO, they should have just had one widescreen aspect ratio, i.e. 1.85:1 only and not 2.40:1.

why do you care so much? seriously...just enjoy whatever you are watching. Who cares about black bars at the top and bottom. I'd rather see everything as it was intended than have the sides cut off to fill a screen.

The only things i hate is regular 4:3 television content that has black bars at the top and bottom making the actual viewing image a little rectangle in the middle of the tv.

why do you care so much? seriously...just enjoy whatever you are watching. Who cares about black bars at the top and bottom. I'd rather see everything as it was intended than have the sides cut off to fill a screen.

Well, like I said earlier, image retention scares me. I know you told me before that your Samsung TV doesn't suffer from that issue, but you never know. Maybe, after watching 4:3 or 2.40:1 content long enough, image retention just might occur. I doubt they'll bring up that problem in the manual if it doesn't occur. I kind of annoys me though. I thought the biggest advantage with LCDs over Plasma is the fact that they don't suffer from that problem. But I guess they do.

The only things i hate is regular 4:3 television content that has black bars at the top and bottom making the actual viewing image a little rectangle in the middle of the tv.

Yeah, I'm hoping as time goes by and widescreen TVs becomes more popular, they'll fix that.

Yeah, I'm hoping as time goes by and widescreen TVs becomes more popular, they'll fix that.

It has more to do with the broadcasts than anything. Just about everything that is forced "wide" on the 4:3 sd channels were shot in HD. If the cable companies would just carry the HD channels we wouldn't have a problem.

• 2 weeks later...
and only things they don't still that I've noticed from time to time is tv ads which who cares really..

because when vince with slap chop says slap away and all that stuiff ITS GOTTA BE 1080P HD 120hz so we can see it all

/joke off

because when vince with slap chop says slap away and all that stuiff ITS GOTTA BE 1080P HD 120hz so we can see it all

/joke off

What about those Cover Girl commercials? Those MUST be in HD so we can see all the beautiful women clearly. :D