Audio Hook-Up Help!

Hey everyone,

I have a question, I think I have it but I want to know if there are any other ways to do it. My brother and I just got a new Samsung TV to replace our old Sony. Long story short I am left with an audio hook-up issue.

Basically we have an audio receiver, cable box, and xbox 360. I want sound to work through the xbox and cable box on my non-tv speakers properly and hopefully with out having to change inputs(that's where my question comes into play).

Here is my setup currently:

Cable Box -> TV through HDMI input

Cable Box -> TV with an RCA - Red/White Cable

XBOX -> TV through HD Component Cables (Sadly my xbox was manufactured before September 07 so there is no HDMI input option.

TV Speakers turned off.

Now with this set up, only the cable box works obviously.

However, before without the cablebox RCA cords, the xbox worked properly with the speakers(Receiver to TV RCA cords)

Is there any way I can hook up the audio for both with out having to use two inputs on the receiver as my attached image shows?

Sorry for the drawing, I am horrible lol.

post-61054-1234307466_thumb.jpg

My receiver is not located near my xbox component cables.... Basically what I'm going to have to do is get an RCA extension from the xbox component cables to go to the receiver I think.

I have my HTPC, DVD, and Sat Box audio going into the TV (on various inputs) with 1 set of audio cables out to my Receiver. All I have to do to get sound out of the receiver is just turn it on, no switching inputs on it, I just have to switch to the device I want from the TV.

You'll want to use the audio out plugs on your tv, either with an optical cable or rc from the tv to the receiver, then you just have to have the receiver on and set to aux/whatever input you've plugged it into and the tv will feed the sound to it with that

So I could change my cable box to use HDMI sound (Something I didn't even think about)

Then hook up the xbox through component normally

Turn off the TV Speaker

And all should go well? That's how it worked on my old TV....

Yeah, it should. Even if you turn the TV speakers off, it should still pass the audio out to your receiver as long as you have either a optical or RCA (Red/White) going from your TV's output to the Reciever's input.

I had it set like that before and I was only getting XBOX sound through RCA to my sat/tv input on the receiver, I guess I can try the other inputs after I get home from work.

I'll keep you updated.

I had it set like that before and I was only getting XBOX sound through RCA to my sat/tv input on the receiver, I guess I can try the other inputs after I get home from work.

I'll keep you updated.

PM me if you need to.

Give me the model of your TV and Receiver and I'll grab the manuals and be able to give you an exact diagram of the best (and easiest) way to connect everything how you want it. The basic idea is to connect all your devices (both audio and video) to your TV, then have the TV pass the audio (either analog (RCA) or digital (coax/optical) cable) out to the Receiver depending on what your TV and Receiver support. This way you have the choice of audio coming out of the TV or the Receiver or both at the same time.

Edited by CrashGordon

I got it working properly. I just had to set up the HDMI to push sound to the TV. I have RCA cables from the receiver to the tv, then the xbox hooked up through component and the cable box hooked up through HDMI. Thanks for your help!

Now all I need to do is figure out the proper settings on the display, I kinda do not like how futuristic stuff looks so I started messing with the 120hz stuff and other settings. Does any one know of a place that offers optimum display settings for the LN52A650 Samsung tv?