New dad needs camera suggestions

Hey there, I was just wondering if anyone had any particular digital cameras they would like to recommend? I know it's a vague question and I've been searching the forum for cameras to look up but I'm not a camera person and figured I'd give it a shot to just ask someone for a suggestion. I used dpreview.com to compare cameras with features I want but I don't know what every variable really is so I came here.

I need a better camera and the motivator is to get better pictures of our first baby. The wife wants something nicer that will take great pictures and possibly a video here and there. I just want the best camera in my price range, as versatile and durable as possible. Easy to use but feature rich, nice LCD viewscreen, things like that. I do admit I'd like a camera that will take 720p and 1080p pictures in proper aspect ratio, not just huge 3000x2000 files. Of course if I could, I'd like to get a camera that I could use for a while and is good enough to play around with for general photography use. I'd like to get into photography as a hobby but I don't think I have the budget for the camera I would need.

I've been looking around Amazon, NewEgg and Costco. And since I'm not looking for anything spectacular, my budget would be in the $ 200 range. Maybe a bit more when considering cables, cases, memory, etc. Of course if I can get a great camera for a decent amount more feel free to let me know. I'm also open to ideas for cases, storage media, etc.

LOL. It always ****es me off when people do this. I could see this if his max price was $350, but $400 is TWO TIMES his limit...

I wonder if people are stupid or don't read...

LOL. It always ****es me off when people do this. I could see this if his max price was $350, but $400 is TWO TIMES his limit...

I wonder if people are stupid or don't read...

haha yeah. Its like... I canafford a 300 F/2.8, its just I cant justify it....

yet.....

:)

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I don't mind the occasional weird recommendation(s) disregarding budget :laugh:

My wife wants something decent and our budget is $ 200 but if I can spend $ 300-500+ and get a nice camera that I could also use to start a photography hobby then that's fine with me.

I thought about entry level DSLR but I don't really know what's good to go with or what features I might need to get the most out of the camera. I didn't mean to imply that I want HD video. I meant a camera that might take high quality 720p and 1080p pictures in proper aspect ratio. I just don't want to take huge 3000x2000 px pictures and try to crop/ resize them just to get a 1920x1080 image.

I would like to add that I want a camera with a rechargeable battery/ charger. It seems that some of the cameras I was looking at only accept AA batteries.

Edited by thenut

im doing something similar for my dad for his birthday :)

i currently looking at the sony t77 (because its slim and looks good, so its flashy, but not expensive)

and the Canon 8mpx camera (both from amazon.co.uk), they arent that expensive are are SIMPLE , which is the main thing for me and its got to look a bit more expensive than it is :D

I thought about entry level DSLR but I don't really know what's good to go with or what features I might need to get the most out of the camera. I didn't mean to imply that I want HD video. I meant a camera that might take high quality 720p and 1080p pictures in proper aspect ratio. I just don't want to take huge 3000x2000 px pictures and try to crop/ resize them just to get a 1920x1080 image.

I just think that's a really odd request; i've never heard anybody ask for that.

3000x2000 is only 6mp, which is kinda small by today's standards. ALL digital cameras let you take pictures at different sizes. There's always a S, M1, M2, L or something similar.

The best cameras which are not DSLRs are from Panasonic. They have amazing picture quality. So if you don't need a DSLR get Panasonic. With DSLRs I'm biased since I'm a not a fan of Canon.

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electro...000000000005702

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electro...000000000005702

3000x2000 is only 6mp, which is kinda small by today's standards. ALL digital cameras let you take pictures at different sizes. There's always a S, M1, M2, L or something similar.

Sorry, I was just replying as quickly as possible. I wasn't giving true dimensions, just throwing out an example on why I want a camera that can take actual 1080p pictures so that I wouldn't have to edit them from a huge source file that's in the wrong aspect ratio.

No congratulations from anybody? :( Congratulations fella, I'm sure you'll enjoy every sour-milk-vomit moment! :p

We're doing fine so far. The baby's on the boob and has only throw up a few times since birth, and they're always small. :D

Title made me lol. "New dad needs camera suggestions" What happened to your old dad?

Har Har. :p

thats why i clicked, lol. title sounds like hes looking for a camera for HIS new dad.

I thought the title was pretty specific. Should have said "Just had our first baby, need a good camera." ;)

--------

Anyway, I'll probably end up getting a sub $ 200 digital camera for the wife to use and I'll look into the cameras everyone else recommended for my own use. I can't see myself getting a nice camera and letting her use it around the house. :laugh:

Not sure if I should just start another thread but hopefully some of you will read this post.

Is the PowerShot SD880IS any good? I was thinking about picking it instead of the A1000IS that someone else here recommended.

I need a quality camera that the wife can use without worrying about dropping an expensive DSLR. But I'd also like a camera I can play around with that's a cut above other point and shoots.