What You Would Like To See in Windows 7

The question was What would you like to see in Windows 7. That is what I would like to see. I believe that there is a current lawsuit requesting this.

Ohh.. is it? If thats so i want Office 14 to be included in Windows 7 :rofl:

The ability to install other browsers from the DVD such as:

1. Firefox.

2. Opera

3. Google Chrome

4. ...etc!

IE should not be the only choice. That is the sole reason that it has the market share that it does. MS is a monopoly and should practice fair business practices.

While you want MS to bundle alternative browsers, why not take that a little further? I want Microsoft to bundle every free software ever made ON THE DISC(S). Then charge the same price for the Microsoft Windows 7 300-DVD Freeware and Open Source Edition as Home Basic. Shouldn't take too much effort, and it's free so it shouldn't increase the price of Windows at all!

Oh wait! I can just download them manually after I install it.

The ability to change the Windows startup sound: It's annoying being forced to a startup sound. I'd like to be able to change it like you could in Windows XP and prior versions.

The ability to install Windows 7 on more than one PC: This is especially true if you ever have to reinstall Windows. For the price, I think one should be able to install Windows on say, up to 3 PCs for example.

The ability to change the Windows startup sound: It's annoying being forced to a startup sound. I'd like to be able to change it like you could in Windows XP and prior versions.

Was i living under the rock? You can change startup sound with a bit of hacking

http://neosmart.net/blog/2007/how-to-chang...-startup-sound/

Yeah.... but its annoying that it was easy on XP. They decided to not let user use a custom startup sound on Vista because Robert Fripp spent 18months and umpteen replays on sound. So they didnt want it to go waste :p

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15656246

The ability to install Windows 7 on more than one PC: This is especially true if you ever have to reinstall Windows. For the price, I think one should be able to install Windows on say, up to 3 PCs for example.

Never happen ....

While you want MS to bundle alternative browsers, why not take that a little further? I want Microsoft to bundle every free software ever made ON THE DISC(S). Then charge the same price for the Microsoft Windows 7 300-DVD Freeware and Open Source Edition as Home Basic. Shouldn't take too much effort, and it's free so it shouldn't increase the price of Windows at all!

Oh wait! I can just download them manually after I install it.

Now you are being obtuse. The EC and EU are suing Microsoft for exactly what I posted. Whine to them.

I'd like the ability to uninstall components like Media Center, Natural Language support, and other features that are useless to me personally. I know you can do this with software such as vLite but it messes things up.

I'd also like the OS footprint reduced. The 64-bit version of Windows 7 takes up almost 10GB, and that's not counting the hibernation and pagefile files.

@Kevin. :Can't you do that in Windows Vista/7?

The only option you're given in Windows Vista/7 is to be able to turn the startup sound on or off. Yes, the startup sound can be changed with some hacking, but not everyone wants to go through the process of doing so.

Glamours walls of hawt girls

:laugh: :laugh:

No specific babes? Were you ironic since Microsoft bundles new wallpapers and people just go crazy assuming it as a new feature... There are so many wallpapers on internet... and bundling walls of hot girls would be great if it came OOTB

The 64-bit version of Windows 7 takes up almost 10GB, and that's not counting the hibernation and pagefile files.

how come no one complains about the size of a Mac OS X installation

4) Ability to somehow pin batch files (or shortcuts to batch files) to the taskbar.

You can sort of pin them:

1. Pin something else to the taskbar (not already pinned obviously)

2. Go to C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar\

3. Find the shortcut that you just pinned, change the shortcut details (right click -> properties)

Clicking it on the taskbar will launch the .bat file but will become active whenever a cmd window is opened.

The above will work on programs that are on network shares too (they also can't be pinned like other programs)

The first improvement that comes to mind would be a more consistent and coherent form of software management. I have some cross-platform experience, dabbling with varieties of Linux that included systems like APT and RPM. I think Windows would benefit from a more centralized approach to the installing and uninstalling of software. Hypothetically, this would have to support standalone .exe and .msi files in addition to some form of repository (Microsoft already has a hosting system for software projects, I'm sure they could maintain a proper social software repository). The major upside to this would be a unified update system. As it is, all your Microsoft software is updated through Windows Update, and everybody else has to integrate their own mechanism for keeping the software up to date; thus you get dozens of redundant services like "Google Updater" running in the background. It should be possible for Windows Update to integrate with the aforementioned repository mechanism.

My next idea is graphical. In Windows Vista, when you maximize a window, the aero glass becomes darkened and opague. I like that, it makes it easier to focus on the contents of the window. If you think about it, when you maximize a window, you are effectively saying "I want to devote my attention to the content of this window alone, and I want no distractions". I feel this should be brought back into Windows 7, even if only as a toggle option.

Moving right along, temporal file/task management. By this, I mean that there should be a way to display in a timelike fashion the things one has worked on; be they files, web sites visited, emails, whatnot. A more developed proposal along the same concept exists, it is called Lifestreams. The PDF this page links to is rather long, but some google searches should reveal a more concise version of the idea.

While we're discussing file management, I really like the task-based explorer introduced in Vista, but part of me misses the Windows 95 way of doing things. By that I mean, there should be an option to use explorer as a spatial file manager, rather than a browser. I would also like an option either in the tool-bar or on right click to open a cmd/powershell window to the current directory.

Windows DVD Maker. It stinks. Move it into the Windows Live Essentials and then make it not suck.

A more capable disk partitioner in the installer would be appreciated. Related to this, a somewhat more user-friendly and less aggressive bootloader would be appreciated. Multibooting should not be a chore.

Finally, while I'm a bit unclear on how the implementation would work, a means to extend a window in a given direction to the edge of the monitor would be appreciated. For example, double clicking on the left side of the window would expand that side to the left edge of the monitor.

That's all for now...

Something simple...I don't know if it's been fixed, because it's something that should never have been changed from XP to Vista. But I want Windows 7 to be able to play animated gifs in the Photo viewer again. I don't know why that was changed at all. Because it's "an unpopular format" doesn't mean it needed to be taken out.

One thing i would like to see is custom icons for libraries... Place the glass plate under the icon and rotate the icon to match the others.

Few other suggestions but cant think of them now.

Hey,

Exactly....Less Pirating

Dump Aero, give me a compiz-fusion for eye candy, wobbly windows, desktop cube and all. And if I want it to start with Windows just need to put the icon in the startup folder. :laugh: I already use Vista system start and system exit sounds on Linux :o

Dump Aero, give me a compiz-fusion for eye candy, wobbly windows, desktop cube and all. And if I want it to start with Windows just need to put the icon in the startup folder. :laugh: I already use Vista system start and system exit sounds on Linux :o

Aero can probably handle all of those things just fine, and with greater quality. It just needs a proper API so that interested third parties can make it happen.

The ability to always combine and show labels on the taskbar icons.

The ability to change taskbar icon sizes in increments like it's done with the desktop icons, or at least an option for medium icons along with large and small icons. I find sizes 22 to 24 to be almost perfect to create the right icon and taskbar look for myself.

The ability to enable the sidebar for those of us who like and use the sidebar.

Anyone else dissapointed that the taskbar doesn't have a fully featured explorer place to customise it? Instead we get one new option in a legacy property box :/

I never thought of this, but now you mention it, it would be nice to have something better in order to change the settings of the new taskbar.