[Canon EOS 400D] Lens Suggestions

Hi all,

I'm off for a holiday to Scotland in May, and will be taking my Canon EOS 400D with me for the first time. :happy: I currently (and only) have the standard 18-55mm lens currently which is a fantastic lens but I would also like to have something for those the Scotland landscape shots; and general use.

I haven't been to Scotland yet, but I can imagine I will be taking photos of landscapes mostly/few odd buildings so a lens which can focus on that kind of thing would be more ideal than a 'close-up' lens. I will be taking my 18-55mm lens with me as well so I could use that at times as well.

I suppose my budget (low I know) would be a maximum of ?300.

If you need anymore information from me, do say because I don't know a whole lot about lenses yet!

Thanks

What a lens! Looking at just a few of the Flickr photo's taken with it, it looks fantastic. (Y) Only problem is, on Amazon it was ?325 last night but now has gone up to ?389!

Any other decent retailers that sell this Lens cheaper? As I won't have the money to buy this until the end of April, might just have to wait and see what Amazon's price is at that time.

Thanks Giga.

Good, it's definately what I plan to get (if I can save up enough before May). ;) Some reviews are saying that they get a lot of vignetting on photo's, do you lot experience the same? If so, what's the best way to get around it?

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone,

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but no point in opening another thread for the same thing! I was planning to buy the lens last month, but having to build a new computer put a sharp halt on that. I am looking at purchasing the Sigma 10-20mm lens this month, but it's shot up in price on Amazon too ?369 as the cheapest so I was wondering does anyone know of some decent UK suppliers which have this lens for less?

I know I will have to spend at least ?300 which is fine, but I don't want to buy it off Amazon and see it somewhere else lots cheaper. (Credit Crunch you see!:p:p) Anyone know of any companies? Just a reminder to other people who don't want to read the whole thread; I need it to be Canon fit!

Thank:happy:y:

http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/

?360 seems the cheapest you'll find it. You can try looking for a second hand copy? I seem to remember that Canon has a nice UWA 10 to 22mm, although that seems to be closer to ?600. Normally I'd suggest looking at imports if all else fails, but with the pound being so shoddy even that is ridiculous...

I'm looking to sell my Canon 10-22mm if you're interested? It's in great condition.

I would want to look up more details on the Lens, but how much are you thinking of to buy it?

I looked over at the review of the 10-20 at dpreview and it doesnt seem to give any rave reviews like people here. Whats up with that?

DPreview recommended the Sigma 10-20 and gave it 8/10 on all criteria except a 7.5 on one (I forget which specifically)...

Don't fixate yourself on judging lens quality based on their MTF graphs either. Go on flickr, look at the Sigma 10-20 group (I know there has to be at least 5 of them) and look at the samples provided there. Go on pixel-peeper and do the same as well, pp has a few more search options.

Do YOU find that the lens produces acceptably sharp/contrasty images? That is what counts, not a machine that measures line pairs.