Error when pinging router: "PING: transmit failed, error code 1231&quo

Hey

Im trying to ping my DD-WRT Asus WL-500W after activing the USB function and now it gives me a "PING: transmit failed, error code 1231". I tried a 30/30/30 but still nothing. How can I fix it?

Hey

Im trying to ping my DD-WRT Asus WL-500W after activing the USB function and now it gives me a "PING: transmit failed, error code 1231". I tried a 30/30/30 but still nothing. How can I fix it?

Why would you access your router through USB? AFAIK you can use it only as a modem through USB, not router

Why would you access your router through USB? AFAIK you can use it only as a modem through USB, not router

?

I think you are confused. The USB ports are for connecting mass storage devices, printers, webcams, etc...

Not sure what you are talking about.

No one wants to help you.

No comment.

So if you turn the USB function off do the pings start to work again?

I can't access the router anymore (tried but as you know the pings fail) so I can't turn it off.

I can't access the router anymore (tried but as you know the pings fail) so I can't turn it off.

The previous comment counds correct. It sounds like activating USB has frozen the modem.

However, do you know if you where using a static IP or dynamic (DHCP) addressing? If you where using static, doing an ipconfig /all will not really show anything out of the ordinary.

If you release the IP and renew it, does it work?

As you activated the USB function, can you connect to the device using USB instead of network? If that works, can you get in the routers console and see if anything else changed since activating USB?

Other than that, try either simply powering the device off and on again after about 10 seconds and see if it comes back up, otherwise a hard reset physically from the device may be the only other method left to try.

Some routers allow it, however why you would want to i dont know, its just an extra driver and device for Windows to activate during startup, whereas connecting through CAT5 would mean just using the existing network card to connect to the router.

Can you (hard) reset it manually? What do you have plugged into the USB ports?

And what OS are your running out of interest?

Ive already reseted and hardreset it. I have nothing plugged into the USB ports.

On my PC or my router? Im running on the PC Windows Vista.

Sounds like your router is frozen and your computer has no IP address on the network it is connected to...

What is the output of: ipconfig /all

?

Im going to RMA but if I remember I believe it didnt show a gateway and it just showed the same IP and 255.0.0.0

The previous comment counds correct. It sounds like activating USB has frozen the modem.

However, do you know if you where using a static IP or dynamic (DHCP) addressing? If you where using static, doing an ipconfig /all will not really show anything out of the ordinary.

If you release the IP and renew it, does it work?

As you activated the USB function, can you connect to the device using USB instead of network? If that works, can you get in the routers console and see if anything else changed since activating USB?

Other than that, try either simply powering the device off and on again after about 10 seconds and see if it comes back up, otherwise a hard reset physically from the device may be the only other method left to try.

The router has a DHCP server. I manually set a static IP thru Windows (since the router didnt assign a IP) and still nothing

Ive tried renewing but nothing happens. Same thing

The USB function is to attach a printer, mass storage device, webcam, etc to share with the network.

Ive already turned it off/reset/etc. Explain a "hard reset physically" as maybe I havent done that.

Ive already turned it off/reset/etc. Explain a "hard reset physically" as maybe I havent done that.

That is where you take a pen and push and hold the little reset button on the back of the router in for about 10 seconds or usually until the power light flashes. This rests the router back to the default settings, as opposed to unplugging it and plugging it back in which just restarts the router (soft reset) just as you would restart your pc.

The hard reset usually means finding a pin or something and placing it in a hole round the back of your router with Reset underneath. Once you've done that it'll probably reset everything to factory defaults and you may be good to go

Edit: Beat me to it :)

That is where you take a pen and push and hold the little reset button on the back of the router in for about 10 seconds or usually until the power light flashes. This rests the router back to the default settings, as opposed to unplugging it and plugging it back in which just restarts the router (soft reset) just as you would restart your pc.
The hard reset usually means finding a pin or something and placing it in a hole round the back of your router with Reset underneath. Once you've done that it'll probably reset everything to factory defaults and you may be good to go

Edit: Beat me to it :)

Understood and yes I have done this :)