• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

headless_armadillo    0

dixons want to charge me ?80 for repairing my minidisc unit! It is damaged and i still have a guarentee. I bought it online at askdirect.co.uk and sony told me to give to to your nearest sony dealer!!

anyone know how i could get it repaired for less than ?80! I dont need any visual damage repaired, i just need to be able to record again!!

tom

Gism0    0

rma it with askdirect?

Diata    0

what a rip!

Poser    0

call sony and give em ****

azn_ricer    0

I think you could also mail it in to sony...

headless_armadillo    0

yes, but how will i know if i have to pay until i get it back. Or they send me a bill, with no MD unit! A half-working MD is better than no MD at all!!

im confuddled!

i should tell them the damage happened AFTER it started recording faultily. Which it did. But whether they believe me.......

any ideas?

tom

TheLegendOfMart    1,558

i dont get it, you bought it online from askdirect.co.uk and your trying to return it to your local dixons, of course they wont accept it back and give you a replacement

headless_armadillo    0

sony said, "please return to your local sony dealer"

Inertia    41

they should, dixons are an official sony dealer,

think about nokia, you buy a 3310 from the local corner shop, he wont take it back when it goes faulty, so you phone nokia , and they tell you to take it to your nearest nokia dealer, which 9 times ou of 10 is the carphone warehouse.

headless_armadillo    0

yes, dixons were telling me how much sony would charge. they would post it to sony.

AHH

tom

cesardrgn    0

That's just Bull crap man. just call sony...

headless_armadillo    0

if i knew sony's number i would, but theyve hidden it very well on their site. And im in the UK

tom

LiGhTfast    6

get a tape walkman cost ya like ?5 plus you wont care if it breaks or someone robs it:pp

headless_armadillo    0

yes, but tapes are crap.

headless_armadillo    0

does anyone know where to get the sony number?

Zip    0

i just pulled this off my sony "european guarantee" card i got with my net-md (im in the UK)

0870 511 1999

Sony UK ltd

Pipers Way

Thatcham

Berkshire

RG19 4LZ

www.sony.co.uk

headless_armadillo    0

wow! cheers :)

tom

Zip    0

no probs mate, good luck

altezza    0

I think you'll better contact your local Sony dealer. I'll do that if I were you ;)

headless_armadillo    0

hmm, i suppose, but they sed it would cost ?80...ill just mail i to my vendor i think

Sleeper    2

do u not have a Sony Centre local to you that you could call into?

=NickJ=    0

I think i may be able to help here, seeing as I work in a Sony Centre. For starters, yes of course dixons want to charge you for repairing your unit, you didnt buy it from them, why should they lose money? Just because someone is licensed to sell Sony, doesnt mean they represent the company. They dont get it refunded from Sony, its not their problem. You have to RMA it with AskDirect.

Second of all, ALL Sony Centres are FRANCHISES. They are licensed Sony Dealers who are allowed to trade under the Sony name provided they only sell products made by Sony, or alternative manufacturers in an area of the market Sony dont sell under (for examples cables, the only cables Sony make are iLink cables so SCART leads, audio leads etc can be sold from different manufacturers.)

Because Sony Centres are all franchises, they are simply a shop operating under an owner not affiliated with Sony, they will tell you exactly the same thing as Dixons, they can fix it (not even done directly, Sony Centres have repair agents they refer you to), but the repair agent will charge you for it (?80 is standard price, roughly ?20 inspection fee, then labour + parts).

Whenever you buy something, it is always done through the retailer, not the manufacturer, Sony themselves may be able to help but they still might tell you to go to AskDirect. If AskDirect refuse to repair it, then you have a case to take things up with Sony.

Hope this help:):)

=NickJ=    0
i just pulled this off my sony "european guarantee" card i got with my net-md (im in the UK)

0870 511 1999

Sony UK ltd

Pipers Way

Thatcham

Berkshire

RG19 4LZ

www.sony.co.uk

hehe thats customer service, be prepared to wait in a looooooooong queue then get told to go back to AskDirect

Zip    0

whats ask direct?

headless_armadillo    0

they were very good actually, took me no time at all to get connected, after waiting for the "press 1..."

finally i pressed 5, and immediately, "welcome to sony customer support, how may i help"... <impressed>

hmm maybe i should make this a bit clearer... I took it to Dixons, they told me that SONY would charge me ?80, not them directly. Apparently i can take it to any sony dealer and they will make it to sony centre for me free...weird....

???

tom