• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Windows 2000 VS Windows XP

Funaho    0

I came back to this thread on a fluke. After reading the addenum of posts I decided to post again :laugh:

With the 6 Month back and forth XP - 2000 deal, I figure it's something to try out new things, and since typically after messing up windows (doesn't matter which version) you would have to reinstall est. every 3 months anyway. That statement really isn't bad as it seems so cut the guy some slack.

I don't know what enviornment you use the OS in paticular but the above should still hold.

Myself, I have been using windows since Version 2, and have gotten pretty use to the way the OS works after being with it for so long. But with Microsoft making semi-radical changes to the OS and Mac OS.X new (innovative, some have said) interface, it's hard not to wanna jump OS as far as OS is concerned. The reason I haven't is because in addition to the OS there are many programs I use that only run on windows. Over-time I may switch to a mac simply because my needs have changed, and mac is more stable because apple only needs to support it's own hardware. Everything apple is guranteed to work, just like everything made for sony by sony works, this is what makes mac a mac.

Now that I went off on a tangent... Windows XP ~ Windows 2000 ~ Longhorn are all based off Windows 2000 thus far. Longhorn will probably be to Windows 2000 what Windows 95(OSR2.1) was to Windows 3.11 WFW. But if you are using Windows XP you are basically using Windows 2000 anyway just with the luna interface and some code changes to make programs execute faster. Also consider Windows 2000 is behind 3 going on 4 Service packs and a lot of the bugs have been fixed or curtailed; which is the reason I use it still. Windows XP is behind 1 Service Pack and still has a lot of bugs left; preceive this statement anyway you want.

Windows 2000 - More tried and tested.

Windows XP - More user-friendly, faster, flexible. This is what Windows Me should have been to Windows 98 :whistle:

John    7

i disagree, i have had the same installation of xp for 6 months now, and it is running quite well. the only reason i reinstalled it last time was because of a mistake on my part and i screwed up something really bad. if it weren't for that, i would have been running the same installation for.... about 16 months.

Funaho    0

16 Months isn't bad for an installation of NT. I have had my server running for 23 months.

eXPeriences may differ depending on how you use the OS. I only wrote what mine were... of course I run a network at home and the kids like to beat up on windows :angry: I should of added that in there.

dpanda    0

xP hAs gOt tO bE tHe bEst oF wiNdowS...iTs eYe-pLeAsIng... :) and it has numerous sites that teach u how to tweakxp(www.tweakxp.com) to make it rocket fast man....love it...juz try it..u will love it too...

blackice912    0

XP - Good

2K - Good

Though I like XP's start menu better and how fricken easy it is to skin right off the bat.

But honestly, they both have their advantages. My sister's computer is running 2000 and I think she had it on for a month straight before I restarted it today. Best I could get out of XP is a week before it started flipping out on me.

But I'll stick with XP, just because it's so pretty :D

Furet    0

I think all that is just a matter of personnal preference.

Anyway, for now I stick to 2k.

I can install XP, but I'm too lazy :p and as it works fine and answers all my needs, I won't switch to XP before a while.

Just remember old computer rules...

-If it works, don't touch

-If it fits you wishes, don't change

And the most inportant : computer workers are lazy...

bonobozoot    0

I have had only 1 experience with Win2K when i got my laptop. It had RC2 and was really badly screwed up. THe Wi-Fi card did not respond because the proper drivers were not available.

On switching to XP, it only supported my wireless card but made sure it was working. Also, most of my software was on Win98. So, running compatibility for some of them actually made them work while in Win2K I had problems running some of the apps.

Ricardo Gil    0

Windows 2000 SERVER. And that final.

dpanda    0
I think all that is just a matter of personnal preference.

Anyway, for now I stick to 2k.

I can install XP, but I'm too lazy :p and as it works fine and answers all my needs, I won't switch to XP before a while.

Just remember old computer rules...

-If it works, don't touch

-If it fits you wishes, don't change

And the most inportant : computer workers are lazy...

i agree wif the if it works dun touch it...but we got to improve sometimes...why not go try comp tt uses win xp and see if it suits u be4 u decide on it...

Paixao    1

XP SP2 :D

lchazl    0

go for WIN 2000, yes it takes longer to start up, but once it's up, it's as solid as a ROCK

i have had win2k up for 5 WEEKS and a few days without any problems whatsoever.

the only reason why i had to restart was because i needed to install some hotfixes.

darkmark327    0

Wow, big deal, same thing with XP

PF Prophet    0

2k or 2k3 xp is crap :)

LUTZIFER    473

Windows 2000??? Kinda old and outa style now isn't it? lol.

sssqqq    0

How naive.

daveoc64    0

Go for XP. The XP machine I am on now has been up for 2 weeks (got restarted after a hotfix). Also it has more support for stuff and will be better supported in the future.

Edited by daveoc64

Batfink    36

I would say Windows 2k SP4... Its more secure and stable... but look @ how shiny and nice XP is...

Duel BOOT!!!!

John    7

xp. newer technology is better IMO. xp can be tweaked to look/feel just like 2000 if you want, and it runs just as fast or faster on any machine i put it on. plus, xp has new things that 2000 doesn't.

nosocks    0

what's style got to do with a professional operating system?

(one of the reasons i don't like XP "pro")

krazeguy    0

XP has,

WAY BETTER NETWORKING

Others can control the Dial Up connection if you are host, so you dont have to keep dialing up each time! - And they can disconnect when finnished

SYSTEM RESTORE

Nice safety feature, so if a naughty program or hardware driver screws up your comp. Just restore that bi@tch.

COMPATABILITY

Not that many programs need it now, but XP is way better than 2k with older programs.

STREAM LINED

There are so many things that make XP easier to use, and quicker. Its more customizable.

LOOKS BETTER

I for one don't use that downy new XP rounded look, but I like features such as lock taskbar, transparent icon text background, which makes ur desktop look way better!

AND SO MUCH MORE

Theres just so much stuff I cant think of now.

WIN2K

But one thing about 2K is that programs seem to run faster and thats true! - Well they load faster anyway.

Something bout 2k loads all Dll's and things when booting up, and XP loads them when needed.

Edi    0

Win 2k...

XP is for beginners (rookies :p).

Redestium    1
Win 2k...

XP is for beginners (rookies :p).

Yeah right...:rolleyes:

Seriously though, XP has much better support for SMP, which is enough for most people with multiple CPUs to use that OS. I know from personal experience.