Apple Safari 4 Beta

Hahaha, nice job copying Google. But despite that, I really like what I'm seeing here. I didn't want to bother with the previous Windows version of Safari, but I'm actually interested in trying this one out.

I'm not too convinced of the location of the tabs in the Mac version. Aren't Apple violating their own HIG here?

Screenshot:

Picture%201.png

Big problem for me. I can't force new windows to open in tabs as near as I can tell. If someone can help, great. If not, I will still use Firefox on PC and Safari on OSX.

Well I wanted to try this.... but the PC download is 26MB... so obviously I didn't, not because of time and space but I just know Apple will install some nasty stuff on my PC.

How does the size of the download lead you to believe that Apple will install something nasty?

And to those saying that Safari 4 is copying Chrome, please remember what Chrome is based on to begin with.

OMG. I just realised it has Full Page Zoom as pointed in the main post. I mean, even IE had it since IE7 I think?

Man, they really did put everything into this version, and it's just a beta!

It's been in the core engine for over a year I think, Apple have finally gotten around to hooking up the UI for it.

And why wouldn't they put it in the beta?

I'm just testing it out now. I like the start page and the new look interface. Very minimal as well. I like having the tabs on the top bar. It's very quick as well now, possibly quicker than Firefox!

My only gripes with it are the lack of an ad-blocker, you can't middle-click to close tabs, and there's no add-ons.

Here is it on xp, ugh glad I'm a mac user :p

screenshot_b192d97e275c2c2f5.png

Classic doesn't look that bad,

screenshot_7d75b61eeb9a3877a.png

I actually think it looks pretty nice on xp. Granted Luna is pretty crap, but it fits in nicely.

Someone find a way to get the blue progress bar back (the resources are still there).

Toolbar is extremely lighter

screenshot_204bd524ff5d427ee.png

Forgot about the blue progress bar, I'd really like that back, the spinning wheel is nice, but offers no timeline, the blue bar did at least. Also I think the gradient seems so much lighter because there is now a "titlebar" before it was all blended into one so the gradient no longer carries over.

Big problem for me. I can't force new windows to open in tabs as near as I can tell. If someone can help, great. If not, I will still use Firefox on PC and Safari on OSX.

Launch terminal and paste this

defaults write com.apple.Safari TargetedClicksCreateTabs -bool true

Worked with Safari 3, haven't tried with the new version though.

Trying it out on Windows now. :)

First impressions, in no particular order of significance: :D

- I like the user-selectable font rendering, for ClearType if you want to.

- I like finally being able to drag the window on all edges, not just the lower right. :p

- Tabs takes some getting used to, and yeah, it's similar to Chrome there. Not a bad thing though IMHO.

- Windows "native" controls aren't native, but just made to look native. Combo box controls don't recognize double clicks, so you need to take it slow if you accidentally open a combo box to close it again, and such things. Also, odd OS X focus borders that doesn't fit at all with the Windows look.

- The font selection dialog looks like crap and has bugs in it too (too long vertical scroll bar for me), which leads me to believe it's among the unfinished work in this beta. Hopefully. ;)

- The developer features to analyze web site performance bottlenecks, all the way from image loading to Javascript function performance is awesome and unparalleled.

- It has not only a text box spell check integrated, but a grammar check too. Another unique feature.

- Memory usage has been a very serious problem for me in Safari 3, and that's still worrying, currently with two tabs open here on Neowin, and 200+ MB RAM usage. Especially the memory usage over time has been a problem earlier.

- (Still) no extension support, or adblocking support, so this will still involve waiting for third party apps to be updated for Safari 4 and "crowbar" their way into Safari, or use adblocking proxies, which are ugly and unfortunate solutions.

- Crazy fast, easily on par with Chrome, if not faster, likely in large thanks to SquirrelFish Extreme, I believe now marketed as "Nitro" in the more finished product. (and this implies that it's easily as fast as Firefox 3.1 of course, and leaps beyond IE 8)

- "View source" can do with some major improvements for color coding and hyperlink detection to be on par with Firefox. This would help in web development and analyzing web sites.

- That you can't close tabs by middle-clicking on them sucks. I don't like having to click on those tiny close buttons. Especially with this design with looong horizontal bars with a huge "click area" to close them, why not make better use of i...? Hopefully this is a beta thing, or it's just a stupid UI design decision. You don't exactly accidentally middle click either, so that's not a good reason, IMHO.

- I know, I know, Acid3 doesn't matter much since web devs have to follow the weakest link (= IE), but yeah, extra gold star in the margin for being a 100/100 Acid3 compliant browser. This doesn't, to the contrary of what some seem to believe, indicate very good CSS/CSS3 support, but rather readiness for complex web services. It's a test of DOM standards and JavaScript/ECMAScript compliance. Which will be very important in the future as we move into more and more complex sites. Think web operating systems or software on the level of Office applications, and the like. This browser is already there now, IE need to get there in IE 9.

Edited by Jugalator

- Windows "native" controls aren't native, but just made to look native.

It'll be hard to find a browser that doesn't do it that way, IE does custom drawing, so does Firefox, Safari (duh), etc.

The checklist of features seems to read very much like Google Chrome's ;)

It does look very slick though, and not so horrid looking on Windows!

Edit: They finally changed to the Vista style of only showing the menu bar when the alt key is pressed! Very nice. Hopefully iTunes will receive a similar makeover.

Chrome and Safari are basically one and the same though ;)

first impressions are wow.. It's smoking fast.. I actually like the look now. (using it on XP at work want to see it on Vista)

Had a problem with importing my bookmarks from FF for some reason.. It wouldn't import the ones that were on my bookmarks bar.

Unsure about placements of things but overall it's a great improvement for Windows users.

Anyone using Vista with it and can show us a screenshot?

ewww. got a question.. Is there a way to show a hover link in Safari? I don't have the status bar turned on, but when I hi-light something like for example my 2 icons in my sig, I want it to show me where those links are actually pointing too.. Is there a way to do this?

Isn't there a way to change the scrolling speed in Safari also? I just noticed that

I noticed one bug so far where some pinned sites in the Top Sites section aren't saved after quitting Safari. Very annoying.

I really dislike the tabs on the top. Is there a feedback page?

Just use the "Report Bug" button. Also located in the Menu Bar under Safari > Report Bugs to Apple...

Looks pretty good so far. Don't care for the fact that 1Password isn't integrating with this one, but the two shall meet I am sure later on. ;) I was about scared out of my seat when the welcome page loaded up for the first time since my speakers were up a bit. lol

I just loaded up Lifehacker.com to do a quick test, and noticed that it cached all the content before it displayed on the page, In FF, it loads almost instantly, so a minus partly there, but I am not a regular Safari user so it is probably just my end.

Am I the only one that thinks that looks awful?

The tab position is horrible. It breaks Windows skins. Don't know about the Mac-version, but this isn't very nice at all.

Maybe I'll give it a try later though.