[Poll] Spacing after a period

Spacing after a period  

100 members have voted

1. 1. How many spaces do you use after a period?

I used to use one, but in the past four or five years I have used two. I can't stand it when people use one now :/

I am sure two is the correct way :/ There's a simple way to check, get a good book, something fairly widely used and check :)

I guess using two just looks a bit neater:

This is a rather long couple of sentances using only one space after the full stop. That's another thing, why do they call it a period in America. Surely period means something like period in time. I decided not to use question marks where I was supposed to. This would give more to what this paragraph is actualyl about. That is the spacing after the full stop!

This is a rather long couple of sentances using only one space after the full stop. That's another thing, why do they call it a period in America. Surely period means something like period in time. I decided not to use question marks where I was supposed to. This would give more to what this paragraph is actualyl about. That is the spacing after the full stop!

I guess it falls into the same category as people putting things like: "i am writing this sentance i am." instead of "I am writing this sentance I am".

It is considered to be old fashioned to use two spaces after a period since that derives from the days of typewriters.

If anyone has taught you guys to use two spaces then likely it was because they had gray hair.

All the papers I had to write in undergrad and grad school required two spaces. I had no idea that it was even a possibility to only have one.

EDIT: All my scholarly work had to follow APA Style:

http://www.docstyles.com/apacrib.htm#Details

Space once after all punctuation (APA, 2001, p. 290). When spacing twice at the end of a sentence would "improve readability," it is encouraged (APA, p. 325). Be consistent.

I used to use one, but in the past four or five years I have used two. I can't stand it when people use one now :/

I am sure two is the correct way :/ There's a simple way to check, get a good book, something fairly widely used and check :)

I guess using two just looks a bit neater:

I guess it falls into the same category as people putting things like: "i am writing this sentance i am." instead of "I am writing this sentance I am".

The forum displays it correctly despite you trying to wrongly add a second space :p

Okay, so this poll like many others took a different direction than intended!

Woah, am I the only one that thought this poll was about spacing out after a period of staring at an object and how long it takes you? :laugh:

anyway, I use one space..

I was taught (only one teacher strictly taught this rule - 6th grade), and she told us to use 2 spaces. But, I have only used one space throughout every other class, including college writing classes, and one space is generally the standard.

The Chicago Manual of Style, the American Psychological Association, Modern Language Association, and the Turabian Citation Style guide say 1 space after a period. These are the most common writing standards in western Universities and I'm honestly not aware of any other popular style guide that says to use more (can somebody link any?)

Using two spaces after a period because that is what you were taught is like saying "I spell phoenix as "pheonix" because that is what I was taught" (you could make equally absurd claims to justify racism, but that's a bit dramatic for a simple typography thread).

Do the right thing: one period, one space.

EDIT: when quoting style guides make sure you check the most recent edition. I've got two copies of the CMS (6 and 12) and they differ. I recall MLA being two spaces when I was in University but apparently they changed recently.

APA 5, CMS 15, Turabian 6, and MLA 7 are the editions I was referring to.

Edited by evn.