Identifying Yourself As A Lesbian Gets You Banned On XBOX Live

Teresa says that she was harassed by other players and later suspended from XBOX Live because she identified herself as a lesbian in her profile. When she appealed to Microsoft, she says they told her that other gamers found her sexual orientation "offensive."

Teresa says:

I just recently saw a thing on your site about someones gamer tag being banned because it had the word gay in the tag.

I had a similar incident, only my account was suspended because I had said in my profile that I was a lesbian. I was harassed by several players, 'chased' to different maps/games to get away from their harassment. They followed me into the games and told all the other players to turn me in because they didn't want to see that crap or their kids to see that crap.

As if xbox live is really appropriate for kids anyways! My account was suspended and xbox live did nothing to solve this, but instead said others found it offensive.

Today I received a message from another gamer calling me a ***. I am a lesbian, so they aren't too smart if they cant get their anti-gay slurs right.

Microsoft does nothing to stop this or prevent it, but instead sides with the homophobes. No one will help me get the word out about Microsoft's anti-gay policy. Not even the HRC who says Microsoft has a positive image with them. Not to me it doesn't!

We've heard of gamers being suspended for identifying themselves as gay in their GamerTag, and even one case of a guy whose name was actually "Richard Gaywood" but his tag was suspended anyway because apparently the word "gay" is so offensive that it doesn't matter if its actually your name.

As far as we know, Microsoft is unwilling to reconsider this position.

Source: THE CONSUMERIST

Lesbians dont celebrate "Gay pride" festivals? Clearly not because they are Lesbians and not "Gays"

Eitherway its pretty crap that MS decided to give her the ban hammer especially since she was on the recieving end..

BUT Its not exactly something you want to broadcast to the world when your gaming..

Why do other gamers need to know her sexual orientation? They dont, so it shouldnt be in her profile

Myself :- I dont have "Ride my Pussywagon ladies, The Magic sticks waiting" or anything

I'm doubtful that's the reason she got banned... and even question the likelihood that people would "follow her around" and harass her because of that, not unless she was doing something to provoke them.

I'm doubtful that's the reason she got banned... and even question the likelihood that people would "follow her around" and harass her because of that, not unless she was doing something to provoke them.

After reading this, I'm not doubtful.

and even one case of a guy whose name was actually "Richard Gaywood" but his tag was suspended anyway because apparently the word "gay" is so offensive that it doesn't matter if its actually your name.

Though I agree that there is no reason to put your orientation in a gaming profile, I feel it was wrong of MS to ban her. I personally have nothing against gays/lesbians as long as they dont attempt to come on to me........but theres no reason to ban someone off anything because they like people to know up front that they are gay/lesbian.......

I have a feeling some religious nut at MS saw this and decided to take action....and MS, not wanting to get an angry influx of people against gays/lesbians, refuse to do the right thing and un-ban the person.

have you seen guys following "girls" in PS3 Home (mainly US one, lol) and sending friend requests with "you're sexy" or "i think you are hot". some guys see a girl avatar and go mad... I was with a female friend recently - both dressed as girls - we both got lots of requests. even when walking into a new space, before my game even loaded, I got requests. they just hang around the doors...

You're amazed that people might pick on someone without provocation? Did you ever exist, in human form, between the ages of 8 and 18? I'm no longer surprised at how low people will go for no reason at all. Adults, too.

There are people that post on this site in the Gamers Hangout that no matter what they post about the same group of people come in an start arguments with them. Anyone else can post and there's no issues, but let certain people post and there's issues every time. So, yes, I think it's more than likely that she got harassed aver it. I also believe that she was banned for wrong reasons. If someone got banned because of their real last name then I think she could have got banned for saying she was a lesbian.

Speak with your wallets. If anyone feels that this sort of action on behalf of Microsoft is unjustified, don't buy Microsoft products. At least not from affected product lines (Xbox). If anyone has connections with major broadcast news networks, please contact them and let them know about this. Facebook decided to change their terms of service due to public outcry and major media coverage, Microsoft will do the same. The consumer will have the last laugh.

How about just banning others who can't keep their racial/homosexual slurs to themselves?

Or is Microsoft afraid of losing their homophobic gamer base?

I doubt anyone would really care...

+1

That is too bad for her. Homosexuals identify themselves by their sexuality more than heterosexuals, so it isn't surprising that a lesbian would say so in her profile.

Aren't there different gamer "zones" that MS has setup for people seeking interaction with like minded individuals. For instance, you'd get in trouble for cussing on Live in the "Family" zone, but not the "Underground." Idk..i don't subscribe to Live Gold anymore. Computer games online are fine, because you type back and forth...i don't really want to have to communicate via voice for online multi player.

I seem to remember World of Warcraft warning players who mentioned they were homosexual in general chat.

Query: Why do I care?

Query: Why do you post OT nonsense on Neowin? Don't care about the thread topic, move on. Someone doesn't rub you right? There is an ignore feature (which I will now be taking advantage of).

I agree with the decision.

It's a games site so there is no need to declare your a homosexual as I can't imagine that someone would

state they were heterosexual on their profile.

If it asked in drop down menus when you create your account your sexual preferences then fair enough.

We do have morons on this planet that hang ups about other peoples sexual orientation.

Homosexual men and women have been around as long as heterosexual men and women, so I get the feeling

it's part of creation.

There was no need for the gamer to express their sexual orientation.

Edited by leesmithg

It's a games site so there is no need to declare your a homosexual as I can't imagine that someone would

If it asked in drop down menus when you create your account your sexual preferences then fair enough.

We do have morons on this planet that hang ups about other peoples sexual orientation.

Homosexual men and women have been around as long as heterosexual men and women, so I get the feeling

it's part of creation.

There was no need the the gamer to express their sexual orientation.

That's justification for removing it from her profile, not banning her.

I agree with hjf288, there's no real point in putting your sexual orientation in your gamer profile.

Thats not really the point guys. The point is she could have a harassment case agenst Microsoft.

it's part of creation.

There was no need for the gamer to express their sexual orientation.

That's justification for removing it from her profile, not banning her.

+1

It seems like MS are saying ''You're a lesbian, GTFO!''.

I don't support the gay/lesbian lifestyle, (I can say a lot about it, but all I will say now, is I find it sick) but they do have the right to be treated equally. May be these kids who she told this to, wanted to cause trouble, we don't know,

A warning would have been better but I do agree with no need for having that in your profile.

Question: Who cares if you are gay or not?

Answer: gays and lesbians.

For some reason it gets used as a fashion statement for many gays and lesbians and I for one do not need to know if you are or not.