How mayn ppl use Linux (or any other unix)

neowin_hipster

How many of you you a unix based OS.If it is linux, which distro do you use?

I personally use mandrake 8.1

YahoKa

Depends on what you use it for... desktop? Well it would HAVE to be mandrake for desktop...

Quboid

I have a Linux machine at home. I don't use it directly - it acts has a file server and it sits in a cupboard, on 24/7.

I have a sucky 44Kbps dailup connection (phone lines are too old and too far from the exchange for 56Kb - I don't think DSL will work :) ) for my whole home LAN. The modem is in the Linux machine and when I want to use the net I SSH in (like Telnet, but more secure) and run the dailer program. As the file server is Linux, all machines on the LAN (which are Windows) can share the net connection without expensive software which you need to do with with Windows.

I'd a sort of in betweener. I love Linux, love the stability and the morality behind it. But I still use Windows because I love Office, love my games, love the acres of freeware apps (not that Linux is sort of those) and love the up to dateness of it. For example I use Opera for a web browser - I don't think the latest version of Opera is out for Linux yet.

Linux is great, but I can't get round the slightly shoddy, unfinished air to it. Linux diehards are probably swearing at me while reading this, telling their monitor that it's Windows that suffers from those problems. I disagree. Everyone is welcome to their own opinion, but I'm right and their not. :roll:

I do prefer Linux on the whole (as you can tell me from the message below my username, above my avatar ;) ), despite writting this in Win2k. It's debian Linux, of course.

fr33k

I wouldn't mind useing mandrake but my computer is all win stuff

kirk26

dudes, i tried using linux red hat and mandrake, but you need a damn manual just to open 1 file! I can't even figure out how to open a file!

hareball82

I dualboot winxp pro and mandrake 8.1, i tend to spend most my time on the linux half of my HDs though

Originally posted by kirk26

dudes, i tried using linux red hat and mandrake, but you need a damn manual just to open 1 file! I can't even figure out how to open a file!

you've got troubles if you can't use mandrake...its as easy as it gets. you've been blinded by your windows ways :D

MulletRobZ

Linux-Mandrake 8.0! :) Not upgrading until 8.2 or 9.0 comes! :)

Sub

I use Slackware. Mainly for FTP and irc services.

configure

I used to use one. If there was a need for going back, it would definitely be Slackware! :)

need a damn manual just to open 1 file!
Don't feel bad, it's totally different, I was prolly doing that too when I first move to Linux :) btw, it's cat | less under console :p
  • 2 weeks later...
me101

Debian, been using it for so long I feel like i've grown up with it. Have tried all the rest, suse, mandrake, redhat and have always drifted back to my Debian box, which acts as my firewall and my general messing box and play computer.

I use Windows XP most of the time, but use SSH, or VNC to hop onto the Debian box to run certain apps when I need to. Most of the time it's console stuff thou.

3nd3r

Dual Boot, Mandrake 8.1 and windows XP

MulletRobZ

Personally, I haven't used Red Hat, Slackware, or any other distro besides Mandrake. But I will once I get high-speed! :D

3nd3r

its not hard it just takes time "then youl be 1337":D

Michael

FreeBSD 4.4 all the way :> way more stable than linux.

X
Originally posted by 3nd3r

lmao thanks! i got it from u

rofl i know heh...