Why does it have to be this painful

Ummm, you can double click on a package and install it. Of course there is lots of software out there that isn't put in packages and you need to compile it yourself, but once you do it a few times it's cake. As for you arguing (somehow) that you can't download wallpapers and stuff, well, what crack are you smoking? It works exactly the same in linux.
It depends what kind of package. As I said in the first post, I first went to java.com and downloaded the .bin file they offer for Linux installation. Double-clicking it does nothing, making it executable didn't help either. So, is it as streamlined as on Windows ? No.

I didn't argue that you can't download wallpapers and stuff on Linux, you missed the whole point. I said installing programs on Ubuntu isn't intuitive because it doesn't work the same way as other files such as wallpapers, unlike on Windows where you just download and double-click like every other file.

Your first post was pretty well done and I agree with the majority of it, but you're really just making stuff up now. I, personally, think you're making up the 3+ hour download time. I know it is possible for the server to have been extremely busy, and I have seen it a bit slow, but not THAT slow, ever. In 4 years.
Now you contradict yourself. In the first post I stated that it took 4 hours to install eclipse + java when I finally did it with synaptic. That was my main complaint. I backed it up with a detailed benchmark later in reply to markjensen who said "sudo apt-get install eclipse" would solve my problem.

And well of course I'm just making stuff up. I simply can't be having problems with Linux, it's FERPECT, and I'm just a whiner ! I must have dreamed all of this.

How is that unreliable, even if you aren't lying? It installed just fine, it just took a long time. Completely reliable, even if bit slow, which again I call into question.
Something that's reliable is something I can rely on. Seems like that afternoon I couldn't rely on Linux to do my homework because it would take until supper before the install finished. So, it's not reliable.

Ok... this thread has run it's course. No one has changed their mind and the same old, tired arguments continue to be bantered around, despite the fairly good initial argument. Sorry, but I deem this...

Thread closed