• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Aerial Digital TV Via XP MCE 2004 ?

pondhopper    0

1st, let me state this is a question out of curiosity & not something I'll be doing. I don't use my PC for entertainment & with the recent transition to digital broadcasting in my area- it's just an unneeded option, which I can't seem to find any good info about. I'm up on software, but hardware: not so much.

So- with XP MCE 2004: is it just a matter of replacing my analog tv tuner with one having digital capability for aerial broadcasts & adding appropriate drivers? Seems to me that some kind of addition software, which would replace the outdated MCE 2004, would be in order <- is this correct?

I have digital tv & this is just one of those things that has peaked my curiosity & want to learn about. I'll be upgrading to Win 7 in the future.

Thanks, in advance.

pondhopper    0

Okay- how 'bout this: would I lose much image quality by simply, using a converter box plugged into the MCE; in the event something unfortunate happens to my current television set?

RadishTM    312

Just have the latest version of MCE 2004 installed via SP2 + MCE updates (SP3 doesn't add anything AFAIK but install it regardless). Hardware-wise all you need is a DVB-T tuner, either PCI/USB based and BDA drivers for MCE.

Quality-wise, it would be just the same as watching digital TV on a regular TV with the addition of recording TV via MCE to your HDD (unless you have a standalone PVR already, then it's kinda redundant).

Radish?

pondhopper    0

^ - Thanks for the input. Everything's very up to date software-wise. I didn't know, if the 2004 version MCE could handle digital channels with fractions like "50.1"- for example & other unforeseen problems. Just like to have a "Plan B" in reserve for the future; with as much advanced knowledge, as possible. :)