Watchmen (2009)

They proved Terry Gilliam wrong on this one. I think Watchmen fans cannot ask for a better adaptation. Jackie Earl Haley is perfect as Rorschach, his voice seemed a too husky at first but i quickly got used to it. He really gave me the creeps. And his lines are my favorite ones from the movie: "Never compromise! Not even in the face of armageddon!"; "None of you understand! I'm not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with ME!"

They proved Terry Gilliam wrong on this one. I think Watchmen fans cannot ask for a better adaptation. Jackie Earl Haley is perfect as Rorschach, his voice seemed a too husky at first but i quickly got used to it. He really gave me the creeps. And his lines are my favorite ones from the movie: "Never compromise! Not even in the face of armageddon!"; "None of you understand! I'm not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with ME!"

I think it's damn fine companion piece to the comic, but I will stop short of saying no one could top this. As far as I think, Terry Gilliam would have made it Terry Gilliam's Watchmen, just like how they're called Stanley Kubrick's A Clockwork Orange and 2001: A Space Odyssey. I can't call the current manifestation of this film 'Zack Snyder's Watchmen', because it is still all Alan Moore's Watchmen.

About the best execution we could have hoped for considering the source material was long thought unfilmable. That said I do think it lost something at an emotional level in the translation. Without the pirate thread it seemed he had to ratchet up the gore/sex factor a bit but was at least glad he didn't shy away from doing it well like most of the grass****ers in Hollywood. Right up there with Unbreakable for me.

I think what most of the disappointeds here failed to realize (or apparently pay attention to during the trailers) is that this is held as the Citizen Kane of comic books. Did you truly think it would be some bubblegum, rock'em sockem action fest? Really? If you didn't understand that this was always going to be an arthouse flick then I would hope you could at least have some integrity and take some personal responsiblity for being an uncultured baboon.

it is still all Alan Moore's Watchmen.

that's fine by me. considering the way hollywood has butchered other comic book adaptations, with everybody and their uncle trying to leave their mark, i'd rather have an adaptation that is too faithful to the original work rather than the other way around. and with the different (better?) ending, i wouldn't call it too faithful either.

I haven't heard much about this so far (haven't read any reviews), but how was RDJ's performance? He has been making a comeback lately and just wanted to know how he was in this one.

Did you truly think it would be some bubblegum, rock'em sockem action fest? Really? If you didn't understand that this was always going to be an arthouse flick then I would hope you could at least have some integrity and take some personal responsiblity for being an uncultured baboon.

I adored the comic book and I did not like the movie.

I haven't heard much about this so far (haven't read any reviews), but how was RDJ's performance? He has been making a comeback lately and just wanted to know how he was in this one.

Robert Downey Jr? You must be confused. Jeffrey Dean Morgan plays Edward Blake/The Comedian.

hope you could at least have some integrity and take some personal responsiblity for being an uncultured baboon.

but doesn't being an uncultured baboon preclude having integrity and taking personal responsibility? ;)

re: the violence and gore; while i appreciate it, i would've preferred something not so cartoony, more 'bourne' less 'matrix'

I hated this film. It was terrible.

It was WAY to long for the amount of action we actually get.

"Deadly dull, dreary,and overly digressive, and even moreso for those unenthusiastic about comic book renderings." --Boo Allen

Couldn't agree more with that statement.

1 out of 5 stars :x

The graphic novel itself was not heavy on action and I thought the amount we got with the story was more then enough.

Couple of my friends have seen it and they say it's nearly as bad as The Spirit.

IMO not even close. The Spirit bombed and Watchmen is doing pretty well and picking far more good reviews.

That is pretty cool, I am going to re-read the novel just before the Blu-Ray release of the film, get me back in the mood (Y)

The animated movie here is better then the novel but after I broke open the Blu-ray box and watched it for a while, I have to say that it's great to have it but don't get the Blu-ray version. The drawings are really pretty rough and you won't see any difference. Only if the DVD version is cheaper though.

This isn't like one of those 3d animated things or whatever. So the benefit is nonexistent.

Robert Downey Jr? You must be confused. Jeffrey Dean Morgan plays Edward Blake/The Comedian.

Wow, that's embarrassing. This whole time I never really looked at a close up image, but always just assumed it was RDJ because that's who it looked like. :p

Wow, that's embarrassing. This whole time I never really looked at a close up image, but always just assumed it was RDJ because that's who it looked like. :p

lol.. .. I remember in the trailer there was a scene where the comedian is using a flamethrower with a cigar in his mouth... looks alot like RDJ so I dont think you were totally off the mark on it...

lol.. .. I remember in the trailer there was a scene where the comedian is using a flamethrower with a cigar in his mouth... looks alot like RDJ so I dont think you were totally off the mark on it...

Exactly the scene that I remember thinking that.

Went to see it thursday night with ma mates and i loved it, it didn't feel 2 1/2 - 2 hrs long at all, i was really pulled in.

I think the main reason for the hate is because its different, we haven't had a comic book film yet with proper sex scenes, blood guts and brains flying everywhere, physco killers etc.

As for me, those bits made it stand out alot more than anything else, Best film of year so far.

9/10 (only part that was weird was glowing blue penis everywhere >< and sex scenes made my immature mate giggle like a school girl :p )

I thought it was great, i was a fan of the graphic novel too.

Rorschach was just perfect

I also really liked the music, at first it dosent seem to fit but it does work really well.

My only issues with the film was with the Rorschach back story, firstly they missed the whole story about his mask (people who haven't read the book must be wondering what it is) this also explained why he got in to the masked vigilante thing in the first place. Then they altered the back story of how he dealt with the guy who kidnapped the little girl and fed her to the dogs. The original where he hand cuffed the guy and gave him a hacksaw before torching the building and watching it burn was far more effective than the dumbed down cleaver in the head blood splatter scene. I wonder if they changed this incase people thought they were copying saw or mad max.

I thought the music selection for the first hour or so were great - Times Are A-Changin, The Sound of Silence, 99 Luftballons, and that awesome Philip Glass piece used in the Dr. Manhattan sequence, but after that it was a missed opportunity. MCR was bad, All Along the Watchtower was inappropriate, and Hallelujah was just horrible.

I thought the music selection for the first hour or so were great - Times Are A-Changin, The Sound of Silence, 99 Luftballons, and that awesome Philip Glass piece used in the Dr. Manhattan sequence, but after that it was a missed opportunity. MCR was bad, All Along the Watchtower was inappropriate, and Hallelujah was just horrible.

I was disappointed by the lack of Smashing Pumpkins after hearing "The Beginning is the End is the Beginning" during the trailer.

I was disappointed by the lack of Smashing Pumpkins after hearing "The Beginning is the End is the Beginning" during the trailer.

lol, i agree, that song fit the mood of the trailer and scenes so well (it was in my head the whole time)

but honestly the soundtrack they did use in the film was good too, and I did enjoy the way they used the songs

The music used in the theatrical trailer was good:

• "Prophecies" ? Philip Glass
  • "Pruit Igoe" ? Philip Glass
  • "Take a Bow" ? Muse

iirc, Alan Moore used lines from several songs in the GN, including All Along The Watchtower.

But, yeah, Hallelujah was high-larious... :)