Do upconverted DVDs look terrible on a large TV?

DaDude
I've got that same Sony TV, and my DVDs are great. I use a computer running Vista Home Premium, it's dedicated to Media Center and works great. Fantastic picture.

I can't imagine it's the TV thats the problem :/

Maybe it's just me then. Because I have a small 32" HDTV and DVDs look better on a small screen since they only have a 480i resolution.

bangbang023
Maybe it's just me then. Because I have a small 32" HDTV and DVDs look better on a small screen since they only have a 480i resolution.

Well, of course they look better on a small screen, though the resolution is 480p, not 480i.

DaDude
Well, of course they look better on a small screen, though the resolution is 480p, not 480i.

Yeah, so it's probably just me. I'm used to watching DVDs on a small screen, so seeing a DVD blown up on a 46" will look ugly on my eyes. This is probably why people tend to notice the difference between DVDs and BDs on a bigger screen.

notuptome2004

Maby you should find out what PS3 Fimrware he has cause maby he is not bright enough to know to upgrade his Firmware and by chance hasa outdated FW that lacks proper upscaling and has issue as you siad

Hell-In-A-Handbasket

playing regular DVD's on my PS3 looks near Blu-Ray on my 60 HDTV, no idea whats causing your friends to be messed up, i think there are options in the PS3 for upconverting and stuff, or hes using old PS3 Firmware

This is my TV (Sony 60A3000)

DaDude
playing regular DVD's on my PS3 looks near Blu-Ray on my 60 HDTV, no idea whats causing your friends to be messed up, i think there are options in the PS3 for upconverting and stuff, or hes using old PS3 Firmware

This is my TV (Sony 60A3000)

lol, well if DVDs look near Blu-ray (especially on a 60"), then nobody would be buying Blu-ray then.

Hell-In-A-Handbasket

alot arent, DVD is still the biggest seller. nobody else i know personally have a blu-ray, all have HDTV's and a upconverter dvd player. they can see a diffrence, but not enough for them to go out and buy one.

lol, well if DVDs look near Blu-ray (especially on a 60"), then nobody would be buying Blu-ray then.
DaDude
...all have HDTV's and a upconverter dvd player.

That's what I have. I have a Sony Upconverting DVD player and it works great!

they can see a diffrence, but not enough for them to go out and buy one.

If that's the case, then I probably shouldn't spend the money on a Blu-ray player.

notuptome2004

agian have him update his firmware if he has internet access to the PS3

Berserk87

maybe he has a pos dvd player that scales horribly.

we didnt get our dvd player until pretty late, when you could get them for $20-$30 at most places, i grabbed a $150 one.

it scales beautifully on our 46"

DaDude
maybe he has a pos dvd player that scales horribly.

It's a PS3

Gary2MBz

No they look better than the standard 480p quality they come with. The PS3 I've seen does very good upscaling at a friend's house. I have the Sony BDP-S550 that I got with the Sony Bravia KDL-52V4100 a day before the Circuit City liquidation, we were supposed to get the W model of that but the idiots on the phone wouldn't want to ship it from another state. All the Circuitcities in California did not have the TV. Anyways, I have it hooked through HDMI and upscaling is pretty much the same as the PS3 and I couldn't be happier. Your friend needs to set up upscaling or else you need to do it for him.

spy beef
It's a PS3

That is a pos dvd player that scales horribly

j/k :p