How many DVDs do you own?

I probably have around 600 DVDs. Don't really buy new ones much because I wait a couple months then pick 'em for half price or less. My wife brought a couple of cupboards for them to keep the room tidier.

I did make the huge mistake of thinking that HD-DVD would win, so.... I have about 30 HD-DVD movies, that's a real loss.

Well buying Blu-ray or HD-DVD during the war was a big gamble. And I think buying Blu-ray at this point is also gamble since the war is now Blu-ray vs. DVDs.

And I think buying Blu-ray at this point is also gamble since the war is now Blu-ray vs. DVDs.

lol, where do you come up with this stuff?

lol, where do you come up with this stuff?

Blu-ray is still new, so yes it is a gamble. DVD was a gamble when it was new and I took that gamble when I bought my first DVD player in 2000. Until everyone buys Blu-ray and DVD gets phased out, then it's not a gamble anymore.

387 DVD (36 of those are TV season sets)

9 HD DVD

I?m so glad I?m not the only one that buys TV show DVDs. A few of my friends keep telling me, ?DVDs are for movies, not those B.S. TV shows.? I tend to disagree with that logic. I watch my TV show DVDs a lot more than my movies. It?s kind of dull to just buy movies and watch the same movie over and over. Unlike TV shows, you can watch different episodes whenever you want.

Blu-ray is still new, so yes it is a gamble. DVD was a gamble when it was new and I took that gamble when I bought my first DVD player in 2000. Until everyone buys Blu-ray and DVD gets phased out, then it's not a gamble anymore.

There is no "blu-ray vs dvd" as you stated earlier. If you want HD you buy a Blu-ray, simple as that. Both can exist, it's different market segments. With the pace at which technology is improving any electronic device you buy is a "gamble." Stop thinking so hard about it and buy what you want. lol

Stop thinking so hard about it and buy what you want. lol

I am. I just bought an LCD TV last November. Who knows if OLED will push LCD into obsolescence. Though, I don't understand the big hype over OLED. Their longevity is A LOT shorter than LCDs.

I am. I just bought an LCD TV last November. Who knows if OLED will push LCD into obsolescence. Though, I don't understand the big hype over OLED. Their longevity is A LOT shorter than LCDs.

OLED is years away.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently standing on 1257 DVDs. Just got the Seinfeld boxset for the birthday from the wife. Happy days!! In the process of ripping them all to the hard-drive(s). 400 down, so many more to go...tv series suck ass when it comes to that. Speaking of which, I better fire up Handbrake before I go to sleep.

• 3 weeks later...
I dont collect movie DVDs anymore just TV shows, i have........

Ashes to Ashes Series 1

Big Bang Theory Season 1

Black Books Series 1-3

Commando on the Frontline Series 1

Dead Set Complete Series

Doctor Who Series 1-4 + Special Episode DVDs

Extras Series 1-2

Family Guy Season 1-6

Futurama Season 1-4

Hotel Babylon Series 1-2

Life on Mars Series 1-2

Lost Season 1-4

Merlin Series 1

Murphys Law Series 1-5

Red Dwarf Series 1-8

Robin Hood Series 1-2

Ross Kemp in Afghanistan Series 1

Scrubs Season 1-7

Startrek Enterprise Season 1-4

Startrek Voyager Season 1-7

Startrek Deep Space 9 Season 1-7

Startrek The Next Generation Season 1-7

Startrek The Original Series Season 1-3

Terminator Sarah Connor Chronicles Season 1

The IT Crowd Series 1-2

The Office UK Series 1-2

The Unit Season 1-4

Ultimate Force Series 1-4

I have them in both original DVD format stored away and x264 Anamorphic 576p + AC3 in MKV Container format stored on a Media Server in transparent quality so they look no different than DVD, took me bloody ages to encode them all.

you so Rule just cause you have Doctor who in your collection and must be a Fan Long live Doctor who and the T.A.R.D.I.S. Time And Relative Dimension(s) In Space

on to Series 5 and the new Doctor

About ~130 DVDs. The trilogies are counted as one or three? (LOTR, MATRIX, BATMAN, X-MEN ...) for example? :o

and ~40 BDs for now.... :fun:

I'd say the "gamble" aspect is overblown, see this article to feel better about buying BDs. And for the next argument, streaming and downloading are a long way off, made worse by ISPs toying with bandwidth capping, etc... For the foreseeable future Blu Ray is the best source for high def audio and sound for home viewing.

As to the topic, about 90 movies total, around 25 BDs as I slowly replace my favorite films with the format. I rent new releases far more than I buy, but any new movie is a no brainer to grab on BD at this point.

I'd say the "gamble" aspect is overblown, see this article to feel better about buying BDs. And for the next argument, streaming and downloading are a long way off, made worse by ISPs toying with bandwidth capping, etc... For the foreseeable future Blu Ray is the best source for high def audio and sound for home viewing.

I see your point, but I have a 32" 720p TV and my main question is: Is there a big difference? If there is, is it $200 worth of a difference? I'm getting mixed answers. Some people say the difference is night and day, while some say there's barely any difference. Until I get a straight answer, I'm not investing $200 for a player.

I'm currently standing on 1257 DVDs. Just got the Seinfeld boxset for the birthday from the wife. Happy days!! In the process of ripping them all to the hard-drive(s). 400 down, so many more to go...tv series suck ass when it comes to that. Speaking of which, I better fire up Handbrake before I go to sleep.

That's a wholelotta ripping to do! I've ripped about 50 DVD's since the beginning of the year, and that's been crazy tedious.

I just can't believe the amount of money people are putting in their dvd "collection". Just looking at Orange's picture makes me want to cry lol

Money? DVDs are dirt cheap now. I find movies as low at $5. I bought the X-Men Trilogy for less than $20 (and that counts as 3 titles). My collection consists most of TV shows, most of which don't air in syndication anymore and that's why I go crazy buying them. Some TV shows are as cheap as $15-20 per season now.

If it were up to me, I'd live my life with just DVDs only. I hate cable. $50+ per month and there's never anything good on. Now that is money down the drain! But I have to keep it because my family watches it.

I see your point, but I have a 32" 720p TV and my main question is: Is there a big difference? If there is, is it $200 worth of a difference? I'm getting mixed answers. Some people say the difference is night and day, while some say there's barely any difference. Until I get a straight answer, I'm not investing $200 for a player.

I've got a 40" 720p set and I can clearly see a difference. Most of the people who say they can't see a difference fall into 3 groups...

1. Cheap, and that is fine since premium home viewing is not everyones biggest priority

2. Haven't seen a properly set up system, or watched a really poorly mastered BD

3. Are in deinal, format war hold outs, etc...

Some BDs show the difference more than others, and some DVDs upscale really well so the difference may not be night and day, but there is a difference. The colors are generally more accurate and richer/deeper, the sound is signifigantly better, etc... I'm slowly replacing all my favorite films on BD since I know in the next couple years I'll buy a 1080p set for the living room and move the 40" upstairs. Your situation may vary, but there is a difference and usually quite clear, even at 720p.

Can someone show proof of the numbers you're giving, because number above just seems ridiculous.

Oh yes, because everyone on the internet are just a bunch of liars that want to impress complete strangers... :blink: