asus 1000he

my review

Today i am reviewing my asus eee 1000he that just arrived in the mail via ups via newegg

shipping box/packaging

it came an a box about twice as thick as the eee box its self. with packing peanuts all around it packed tight. literally. When i opened the box peanuts explodedexpanded in my face.. i pulled out the eee box which is quite sturdy opened it and saw the eee on top with a plastic/cloth cover over it

i pulled the laptop out of that and open up the system there was plastic over the screen bezel also. a keyboard cover. and thats about it

under another flap was the neoprene sleeve for the laptop then under another flap was the battery/xp dvd support info and manual

initial bootup/regular boots

the initial boot up sets your xo up with your local settings agreeing to the eula and internet settings....... takes about 5 minutes total

regular boots are about 30 seconds or less

build quality

the machine is quite sturdy has no latches just closes shut.

balances out quite nice on a desk

keyboard

it has hot keys that can control the performance modes and skype and screen resolution

the keyboard has a sony viao/macbook [chicklet] keys that are like [a][d][f] rather than asdf thers actually some spacing between the keys. response is exellent feels great and smooth. Im already getting vvery great at typing on this after about 30 minutes of use. During the first 10 minutes i felt regret for a netbook and was stressed about it , but now i've gotten as good as i can usually type(lol)'

mouse

this is a multi touch track pad that has no didicated scroll zone you just use 2 fingers to scroll 3 cingets to /back /forward in web pages

pinch in and put for zoom in and zoom out

cpu/ram /performace

runs very snappy i have a vlc avi running ou one side of screen and firefox running on other size and its no lag

it has hyper threading that makes it look like a dual core

webcam

1.3mp webcam works great has auto adjustments and such good focus and everything

usb/connectivity

the usb ports ave VERY stiff and felt fake for half a second but their just stiff they all work

the wireless works but i hear the n is only a 2.4 ghz n and not the 5ghz standard/although im on standardd g right now

has bluetooth lan Ethernet 10/100 /wifi vga out

battery

i havent even owned it long enough to test the battery life yet.. so ill have to get back to ya on that

pictures

coming soon

price the current list price is 399.99 but i got it from newegg for 374.99

i also got a accentual 2 year warranty from newegg for 119.99 for the peace of mind that i can get from that

i thought its 1/3 the price of notebook not worth it. but i had a previous experience with a laptop breaking 1 year 1 week after i had only bought a 1 year warranty so i ponied up the dough for the extra year for my coverage

the 1000h doesnt have a chicklet keyboard or the 9.5 hours battery life as this one has

this also has a 1.66 ghz inten atom n280 cpu a 667 fsb

i am not testing the battery yet i got it 1hour half ago and its up to 95% charge witing for charge to finish when i will go off the juice and to the battery

Could you elaborate more on the build quality? Is there a lot of flexing, and does the plastic feel cheap?

no flexing to speak up when i get typing at my 80wpm(with several mistakes though) i ca see some of the other keys going down and flexing but again thats only when i type fast in frag mode..

5pm and still have 4hours 32 minutes 50-60% brightness wifi on bluetooth and cam off..

i will do a video review after my niece and nephew(noisy *******) are away for a while as the mic is Very

senstive however it will be a review using the buuilt in webcam

So painful to read...Anyways, I was considering picking up a netbook, but the Atom's weak performance (even compared to my 4 year old laptop turns me away from netbooks). I think I'm going to wait till the Via Nano dual core comes out.

sorry about the readibility.. this atom n280 feels great. its not a dual core but feels like it. with the hyper threading..

i was watching youtube along with a file transfer with web browsing and it was still usable. going on 4 house with 51% battery left on the first charge

it takes 2-3 charges to condition the battery for maximum use

First Aussie, I'm really glad to see you have actually thought about this review and how it should be laid out and so on. When trying to describe something, like the keyboard for instance. Why not post a picture to show the differences?

Some punctuation wouldn't go a miss either! ;)

Okay, about the netbook. I've been considering getting one for quite awhile and I was going to buy the Samsung NC10, but decided I wanted to do a computer upgrade instead to get with the times. :p I've always disliked Asus's way of making netbooks; they look cheap and too small for my liking. The Samsung NC10 gets excellent reviews and a 10" would be quite suited for my needs. Personally, I'd have to play with the netbooks and see how they perform and how comfortable they are.

yeah i actually spent half an hour on this review let me see if i can get those pics uploaded

that was a dollar bill for soze compare. but it diddnt process too well my next purchase should be a camera i believe

post-249793-1237070071_thumb.jpg

post-249793-1237070081_thumb.jpg

post-249793-1237070141.jpg

N280, but 945gse chipset (for slightly longer battery life). The 1000h has the slightly faster 945gme chipset, and overall performance of the older 1000h should be a bit snappier.

its snappy enought for web browsing even gta vice city but when i load up san andreas it can only put out 5 frames a second.......

yet still i have a desktop[laptop that was re purposed as desktop] for my power vista fix. this is just for round about surfung

with wifi on i been getting 7.5-8 hours of battery life my first 2 charges and that includes some file/hard drive intensive tasks getting everything set up to my standards....... that blows the walls off my big laptop 15.4 inch that can get 2-2.5 hours tops......

this will def. be my travel companion along with my psp for backup entertainment

i also want to note . this does everything my dual core system did except decode a 1080P hd video

The system is still very snappy even in super power saving mode...

i get 8.5 hours with bluetooth off camera off and WIFI ON

N280, but 945gse chipset (for slightly longer battery life). The 1000h has the slightly faster 945gme chipset, and overall performance of the older 1000h should be a bit snappier.

how much faster is it?

I think if the gme is faster, i think 1000HE makes up for it with the faster processor and larger L2 cache than the 1000H

it also has a much improved keyboard and 5 hour longer battery life.

not sure what to benchmark it against. its better than my radeon 1150 ...... im getting 8-8.5 hours of life with brightness at 50% and wlan turned on

/\ you wont regret it.. i hate to say this but its just as fast as my turion 1.6ghz dual core 2Gb ram full size laptop

the only thing you cant do with the eee is decode 720p x264 mkv files.. other thatn that id does everything

when you put it in super performance it over clocks to 1.715 ghz from the 1.667ghz when you put it on power saver and vista in power saver it goes down to 71 mhz.

vista loada great all drivers work and everything

it comes with 2 partitions 80/60 \9 hidden recovery

xp is on the 80

i installed daemon tools downloaded the latest copy of vista off bittorrent. installed it to my second partition and USED MY OWN CD KEY FOR ACTIVATION AND VALADITION and it boots up GRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrEAT

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16834220504

get it man

the price went up 15 dollars but its still a great buy