• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Can every HDMI cable do 1080p?

+warwagon    13,212

My Question was if every HDMI cable can do 1080p. I think they should, though my parents said they were talking to a sales rep at "Nebraska furniture (No its not just a furniture sure, its crazy big). Funny thing is all they sell is MONSTER cables (LOL) So said they had a 1080i monster and a and a 1080p monster HDMI cable. If i'm not mistaken, digital is digital right? Well you know how crazy expensive monster cables are. I was looking at this 10 foot cable at newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16812189054

He was also trying to push this Monster Purger protector that would clean the power. MONSTER MPHT800 Home Theatre PowerCenter HT 800 with Clean Power Stage 1 v2.0 . Is their anything special about this one or is it just a surge protector or is there something cheaper on the market someone could recommend.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16812155515

Sikh    192

The Surge Protector removes static, Ive seen it work at the worst end of my friends house, and it powered everything flawlessly.

The Cable, As far as I know, every HDMI Cable can do 1080p its just depends on how far your taking it. Cheap Cables cant go past 10feet without loosing signal.

Other then that, Monster cables are only useful if your running it from the corner of your room to the center of the room.

+Audioboxer    2,876

Yes they can.

Dumb ass sales rep is dumb ass sales rep.

Sales rep with agenda to scam customer is sales rep with agenda to scam customer.

What Retailers Don’t Want You To Know About HDMI Cables

If you’re planning to buy a upconverting DVD player, PlayStation 3 or high def tuner for your HDTV this holiday, expect the salesman to say you’ll need an HDMI cable to make the connection. The upconverting DVD player will cost as little as $70, but the six to eight foot HDMI cable he’ll be pushing will cost around $100 to $120. Why is the cable so expensive? So the retailer can make a greater profit on the sale. The fact is, you can purchase an HDMI cable for less than one tenth the price and get the same great picture. Here’s what you need to know.

HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) is generally the best connection between a source component and a high definition display. The cable carries digital audio and video with a copy protection. These wires are available in lengths from one and a half feet to over fifty feet. What the store salesmen will not tell you: no matter how much or how little you pay for a cable, you can only see one of two types of pictures –Perfect or Bad.

Perfect means no artifacts such as sparkles. Bad means artifacts or no image. Electronics store salesmen will tout you on gold plated connectors, thicker shielding, heavy-duty construction, name brands and so on, but it really wouldn’t make an iota of difference in picture or sound quality. It’s that simple. The signal running through an HDMI is digital, just a series of ones and zeros. No matter what anyone tells you, getting all the ones and zeros from one end of the cable to the other is all an HDMI cable is supposed to do. No matter how expensive and fancy the HDMI cable, the image can’t improve! The cable can only be good or bad.

So how much should you pay for an HDMI cable? As little as you can. A quick search of online retailers, found the lowest price at monoprice.com where a 6 foot HDMI cables start at $9.29 including shipping and handling, in single lot quantities. (This is informational only we have not sampled their cables). Wal-mart sells a 6ft. Philips HDMI cable in-store for $26.85. Monoprice and other retailers also sell heavier duty cables with thicker gauge wires, though as stated above, an HDMI cable either works perfectly or doesn’t. Paying more will not provide any improvement, if your present HDMI cable functions properly. Save your money for more important things, like HD movie discs and video games.

Source: http://hdguru.com/?p=12

Time to await butt hurt Monster cable owners tearing this thread up about their superior image quality though.

Vlad    12

My recommendation: avoid monster crapware like the plague. Most generic/cheaper equipment does the same damn thing. I've bought a few HDMI cables from newegg (whatever was cheap at the time) and they all do 1080p just fine.

As far as the surge protector goes, it's a joke. If your power needs to be "cleaned" you have a bigger problem on your hands.

+warwagon    13,212
The Surge Protector removes static, Ive seen it work at the worst end of my friends house, and it powered everything flawlessly.

The Cable, As far as I know, every HDMI Cable can do 1080p its just depends on how far your taking it. Cheap Cables cant go past 10feet without loosing signal.

Other then that, Monster cables are only useful if your running it from the corner of your room to the center of the room.

Why are monster cables better for long distances? Isn't it just 1's and 0's?

84Mark    14

I'm not entirely sure on this one but aren't there a few different "versions" of HDMI cables and if you want 1080p at 100 Hz it needs to be the newer version. I don't know if that's more expensive though.

Dessimat0r    0

I had a Mikomi HDMI 1m cable that broke on the connector end though, which was pretty cheap. Turns out that the pins in the connector got all bent and stuff. Tried to fix it with a mini-screwdriver, but ended up ruining the entire thing. Bah.

Ambroos    801
Why are monster cables better for long distances? Isn't it just 1's and 0's?

Yes but you just get signal loss over a certain distance, it's bound to happen. If your signal misses some 0's or 1's then your signal will probably not come through. It's digital. You get all or you get nothing.

+jamesyfx    362

The longer the cable the weaker the signal will be. Unless you've got a repeater on it. 15 Metres (49ft) is pretty much the longest you can get.

I'd get a CAT2 HDMI cable if you need it to be long.

+warwagon    13,212

So what would you guys recommend for a surge protector.

+Audioboxer    2,876
I'm not entirely sure on this one but aren't there a few different "versions" of HDMI cables and if you want 1080p at 100 Hz it needs to be the newer version. I don't know if that's more expensive though.

No

CrashG    439

This will be just as good as the "best" Monster Cable brand:

High Speed HDMI 1.3a Category 2 Certified Certified CL2 Rated (In-Wall Installation) Cable (24AWG) w/ Net Jacket - 10ft (Gold Plated Connectors).

As far as surge protectors go, they're all about the same. If the house takes a direct hit by lightning no surge protector is going to save anything, doesn't matter what brand it is.

I've been using some generic surge protectors for years on all my computers/TV's/Audio equipment with no problems.

Edited by CrashGordon

spike21    3

www.monoprice.com

aussiefloyd_fan    6

just get a surge protector that has emi rf filtering. i got one from newegg for 20 bucks a belkin 12 outlet that had filtering

Vlad    12
Yes but you just get signal loss over a certain distance, it's bound to happen. If your signal misses some 0's or 1's then your signal will probably not come through. It's digital. You get all or you get nothing.

Or, more accurately put, your bit error rate (BER) rises. All cables have a BER. and "you get all or you get nothing" is misleading. HDMI sends data in packets and at least some of the data is BCH coded and the HDMI protocol uses TMDS to detect and recover from errors. I'm not familiar enough with the HDMI spec to say what happens when data is lost (it may be discarded or it may be used). But it's not like you get one bit of error and you lose connection.

DaDude    46
My Question was if every HDMI cable can do 1080p.

I'm pretty sure they all can. I have three HDMI cables (1 Monster one and 2 from Ebay) and they all can do 1080p just fine.

Sikh    192
This will be just as good as the "best" Monster Cable brand:

High Speed HDMI 1.3a Category 2 Certified Certified CL2 Rated (In-Wall Installation) Cable (24AWG) w/ Net Jacket - 10ft (Gold Plated Connectors).

As far as surge protectors go, they're all about the same. If the house takes a direct hit by lightning no surge protector is going to save anything, doesn't matter what brand it is.

I've been using some generic surge protectors for years on all my computers/TV's/Audio equipment with no problems.

I beg to differ! I believed it until we got these like $100 surge protectors in a pack from Costco in 03. Well in 05 our building got hit by a BAD surge, like lighting wise. The tower outside the house got hit, and started on fire, but instantly all electricity got cut. I was on the family emachines at the time playing DFLW.

After everything came back, after 2 days, EVERYTHING was fine! But the refrig, microwave. They were straight power to wall. no surge.

I was really proud of the surge protectors becuase as soon as it happened, i heard the little break pop and these have lights so that came on right when it happened. So i knew we have a power surge. But it was bad. It burned the wiring in some apartments, the actual wall sockets but thats it. Our apartment was hit hard, but oiur tvs computer dvd players super nintendo(haha), etc was fine. I was a happy happy boy.

But anyway, right now i have a $250 Backup Battery that I got during black friday(its like a $400) one that keeps a computer on for 1 hours(yet i have like my whole room hooked up to it) so it keeps everything on for 1/2 hour and its working fine. Still have yet to see how it handles power surges.

So surge protectors do work, just depends on how good they are.

GrimReeper    2

That may be so but don't the name brands like belkin and monster cover any damage sustained up to a certain price if the surge protector fails, even in the event of a direct lightning strike. At least the expensive belkin surge protector I have does, mine only has like $50k protection I think they did sell one that had unlimited $$ protection. I bet they have loads of terms and conditions but something you might want to look into.

As for HDMI cables, why not use a coat hanger :p http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/03/audioph...ster-cable-and/

Edited by GrimReeper

CrashG    439
I beg to differ! I believed it until we got these like $100 surge protectors in a pack from Costco in 03. Well in 05 our building got hit by a BAD surge, like lighting wise. The tower outside the house got hit, and started on fire, but instantly all electricity got cut. I was on the family emachines at the time playing DFLW.

After everything came back, after 2 days, EVERYTHING was fine! But the refrig, microwave. They were straight power to wall. no surge.

I was really proud of the surge protectors becuase as soon as it happened, i heard the little break pop and these have lights so that came on right when it happened. So i knew we have a power surge. But it was bad. It burned the wiring in some apartments, the actual wall sockets but thats it. Our apartment was hit hard, but oiur tvs computer dvd players super nintendo(haha), etc was fine. I was a happy happy boy.

But anyway, right now i have a $250 Backup Battery that I got during black friday(its like a $400) one that keeps a computer on for 1 hours(yet i have like my whole room hooked up to it) so it keeps everything on for 1/2 hour and its working fine. Still have yet to see how it handles power surges.

So surge protectors do work, just depends on how good they are.

That may be so but don't the name brands like belkin and monster cover any damage sustained up to a certain price if the surge protector fails, even in the event of a direct lightning strike. At least the expensive belkin surge protector I have does, mine only has like $50k protection I think but they did sell one that had unlimited $$ protection. I bet they have loads of terms and conditions but something you might want to look into.

As for HDMI cables, why not use a coat hanger :p http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/03/audioph...ster-cable-and/

Some of them do have claims that they will pay up to a certain amount. I forgot that I have a whole house surge/spike protector that the power company installed several years back. Could be that's why I've had no troubles. :laugh:

scaramonga    202
stare_lol.gif

GrimReeper    2
stare_lol.gif

Ummm wtf?

+warwagon    13,212
stare_lol.gif

HA, so random!

Windows7even    17

of course they can...hdmi specs resolution up to 1080p

scaramonga    202
HA, so random!