• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Can every HDMI cable do 1080p?

Sikh    192

God I would love that ha. I have the whole house wired to my house at 1 point, well the living room and my room, the Battery lasted 5 mins lmao.

We could get a bigger one, but we want a portable one as we rent for now.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1158321454161

And just think when I bought this on black friday(of 07 built my computer at the same time) it was worth way more. I pay 246 foir it after taxes.

But anyway, it is very nice.

Some of them do have claims that they will pay up to a certain amount. I forgot that I have a whole house surge/spike protector that the power company installed several years back. Could be that's why I've had no troubles. :laugh:

Dessimat0r    0

By the way, I think my faulty HDMI cable ruined the HDMI functionality of the monitor -- it must have short-circuited the pins in the HDMI port. It's going to have to be RMAed under warranty. Bah. The price of a cheap cable.

ToneKnee    308
By the way, I think my faulty HDMI cable ruined the HDMI functionality of the monitor -- it must have short-circuited the pins in the HDMI port. It's going to have to be RMAed under warranty. Bah. The price of a cheap cable.

Pictures to back up your claim?

abcdefg    0
Pictures to back up your claim?

db_vader.jpg

Dessimat0r    0

Well, the PS3 gets intermittent static, colour bands, but no signal. The Xbox 360 displays odd-coloured pixels in certain colour ranges. If I can be arsed to get my camera out later, I'll post some images.

fall3n    0
Or, more accurately put, your bit error rate (BER) rises. All cables have a BER. and "you get all or you get nothing" is misleading. HDMI sends data in packets and at least some of the data is BCH coded and the HDMI protocol uses TMDS to detect and recover from errors. I'm not familiar enough with the HDMI spec to say what happens when data is lost (it may be discarded or it may be used). But it's not like you get one bit of error and you lose connection.

This pretty much goes for everything digital being passed through wire. If it were "you get all or you get nothing" then the Internet would pretty much be broken all over the place. This is why you can experience packet loss, but still receive a full file.

+warwagon    13,211

Here ya go. If you have an old HDTV that can only so 720/1080i then you need this cable

http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=3833

3.28 Feet for $69.95 :laugh: :laugh:

Monster 500HD features advanced construction you won?t find on other HDMI? cables. DoubleHelix? construction maximizes signal strength for crisp, clear 720p/1080i video. Plus, rugged, fully shielded connectors ensure long-lasting durability, so your 500HD delivers the same stunning HD picture and sound today and tomorrow.