• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Site renders badly in Chrome

Question

Kieran    2

I'm finally going to update my site after a few years of doing nothing with it. However, I notice that it doesn't render correctly in Chrome. The image below shows the site rendered in IE7, FF3 and Chrome 1.0.154.48:

badrendering.jpg

As you can see, the left column width in Chrome is very thin. The width of the column in Chrome seems random on each page of the site. On some pages (the links page is one), it may take half the width of the page. Please can someone look at the source of my site and tell me where my problem is?

The relevant links will be:

http://www.koding.co.uk/

http://www.koding.co.uk/mystyle.css

Thanks,

Kieran

6 answers to this question

Plarkster    6

I can't see the exact reason, but I'd say it's something to do with you using percentage widths with tables. Look into using divs instead of table, and using CSS to position them.

Kieran    2

OK, thanks. I will have a look into that now.

I did have a play with it last night and I could almost get what I wanted by specifying the width of EVERYTHING in px, but that doesn't strike me as very maintainable, so I will definatly have a look at using divs as you suggest.

I'm not really a web developer so I don't suppose you can point me to any guides that will speed up my Google-search-learn loop?

Thanks,

Kieran

Plarkster    6

Have a look at http://htmldog.com/ - the guides should cover everything you need to 'convert' your code.

It'll take a little time to get used to, but it's worth it - it's a much better way of doing things.

Kieran    2

That's a great site, thanks. As it has been a long time since I have done any html, I am going through the guides from the begining. So eventually I will have the knowledge to fix my site..

thealexweb    204

If it looks bad in Chrome it probably looks bad in Safari to because they share the same rendering engine, webkit.

Plarkster    6
I did have a play with it last night and I could almost get what I wanted by specifying the width of EVERYTHING in px, but that doesn't strike me as very maintainable,.

I don't think you need to make many changes - changing td.leftc to width: 155px seems to work ok.

That's a great site, thanks. As it has been a long time since I have done any html, I am going through the guides from the begining. So eventually I will have the knowledge to fix my site..

Yeah it's a great site to learn the basics - you'll definitely be better off from recoding your site once you have gone through the examples, but just use the quick fix I posted above for now if you want it to look right in all browsers.