• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Why is 720 so popular?

NiceCarpet    0

I'm sure a lot of you will find this interesting:

post-53439-1237159606_thumb.png

torrentthief    313

alot of stations have yet to upgrade their equipment to broadcast in 1080i and will cost more in bandwidth too so alot use 720p unfortunately. There are a fair few channels that are 1080i though, all uk hd channels are 1080i. You'll see channels upgrade all the time depending on the network boxes like tivo, directv etc as companies like that are adding 1080i hd channels all the time and movies away from pdtv and dsr quality like comedy central hd which recently launched, south park was made in hd last season but wasn't broadcast in hd as the channel wasn't airing in hd then but you can buy it on bluray in hd tho of last season.

blurays are usually 1080p for mainstream movies atleast, some docu's are 1080i as alot of them were shot using 1080i hd camcorders. All blurays will become 1080p as time goes on tho as 1080p camcorders are getting fairly cheap now and quite good quality.

NinjaGinger    201

Unless it has been made with a digital camera it will only be remastered to 1080 and not true blueray or HD When they move over to 1.5 disks then the bandwidth may allow more.

Thirtythree    0
i think 1080p needs severeal gigabits a second bandwidth. but 720 needs only like 900megabits a second? i saw a article in a magazine somewhere but forgot where what detailed .

ROFL! What? Where did you pull that out of?

http://www.blu-ray.com/faq/

BD-ROM movies will require a 54Mbps data transfer rate the minimum speed we're expecting to see is 2x (72Mbps).

If 1080p needs several gigabits of bandwidth then how in the world are BD-ROMs even capable of playing Blu-Ray media at 1080p? :blink:

scaramonga    202

Because 720 makes more sense. :) Some actually think that 1080/p/z/q/d/f/g/h/whatever is better, it is, over 60" I reckon, even then, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. ;)

DaDude    46
Some actually think that 1080/p/z/q/d/f/g/h/whatever is better, it is, over 60" I reckon, even then, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. ;)

Yeah, some people think 1080p will magically give you the sharpest picture in the world. My friend is like that and he feels so proud that he just spent over $1,200 for a 40" Sony Bravia. Whateverrrr.

+Audioboxer    2,876
Yeah, some people think 1080p will magically give you the sharpest picture in the world. My friend is like that and he feels so proud that he just spent over $1,200 for a 40" Sony Bravia. Whateverrrr.

Well, 1080p will give him a sharper picture than 720p :rofl:

Luis Mazza    172

Yes, but only on 50" + screen sizes... Less than that is perfect with 720p. Actually people are too misguided regarding this understanding.

Most of this 1080p thing is bull****... My sister has a super 60" LCD TV and even on 1080p with this size, you have to move your head to watch it or stay very far from it. I have a 32" LCD tv which I watch at the correct distance (about 2,5 meters close to my eyes) and the picture looks much better than hers.

The bigger the tv, the less resolution and quality you get. Thus with 720p you get the best perception of quality a human being can get.

The rest is just marketing.

+Audioboxer    2,876
The bigger the tv, the less resolution and quality you get. Thus with 720p you get the best perception of quality a human being can get.

:blink:

aussiefloyd_fan    6

If 1080p needs several gigabits of bandwidth then how in the world are BD-ROMs even capable of playing Blu-Ray media at 1080p? :blink:

maby thats the bandwidth of hdmi? oh i heard it at bestbuy sales rep

Luis Mazza    172

Man... You`re the most misinformed and ignored guy I ever saw in this community. You give your nonsense opinions on a lot of things and you misunderstand concepts all around. You make us feel lazy about explaining you the insane amount of nonsense you toss at us, because you really think your comments make a lot of sense.

:blink:

You should read more about what I`m talking about and stop being a doll in the hands of the marketing department of those companies, poor child.

scaramonga    202

Noticeable?

I think not lol, if so, he will be the first in this world to do so ;) While were on the subject, worth another $500+??

I still think not lol. :rolleyes:

+Audioboxer    2,876
You should read more about what I`m talking about and stop being a doll in the hands of the marketing department of those companies, poor child.

Oh dear, someone gets angry over resolutions :laugh:

Noticeable?

I think not lol, if so, he will be the first in this world to do so ;) While were on the subject, worth another $500+??

I still think not lol. :rolleyes:

Uh why go postal at someone who can afford the set? Obviously if you don't have the money don't buy an expensive set.

DaDude    46
Obviously if you don't have the money don't buy an expensive set.

You'd think, but the OP said we're making people suffer by buying 720p TVs.

+Audioboxer    2,876
You'd think, but the OP said we're making people suffer by buying 720p TVs.

The OP said some silly things.

scaramonga    202
Uh why go postal at someone who can afford the set? Obviously if you don't have the money don't buy an expensive set.

LOL.....I wasn't stupid enough to fall for the 1080p marketing crap, now maybe you did? ;) Sorry you spent so much for so little gain, gotta watch what your buying in future buddy :) Now, what your saying, is that if money is no object, buy the thing?...I don't care a jot about that. All I'm doing is answering the OP's question, and regardless of whether being able to afford it, I'd still go 720!

:)

+Audioboxer    2,876
LOL.....I wasn't stupid enough to fall for the 1080p marketing crap, now maybe you did? ;) Sorry you spent so much for so little gain, gotta watch what your buying in future buddy :) Now, what your saying, is that if money is no object, buy the thing?...I don't care a jot about that. All I'm doing is answering the OP's question, and regardless of whether being able to afford it, I'd still go 720!

:)

Please tell me where I can buy a 720p only 40" TV set, there ain't that many.

And I bought 40" because I wanted a large TV and had a budget that could cover it.

You guys are just as bad as the OP, he's ranting about "poor" people buying smaller sets, you guys are ranting about people wanting to buy bigger TV sets. It's all a bunch of fail either way, people buy to their budget and hopefully at the same time research the quality of their sets.

Edited by Audioboxer

scaramonga    202

Ah well lol, skip paying the TV licence till you make up the shortfall ;) :laugh:

Sikh    192
Sorry, I don't mean to offend the "poor people" LOL, sorry :$

It's just that I feel cheated buying a 1080p TV and Blu-Ray discs that I'm seeing are of lower resolution, which I assumed to be because of the mass popularity of 720.

Please don't be offended, but I am learning from your comments. Like I said, I am totally new to this HD world.

Its not "poor people" or any types of people. Most people that are buying tv like parents and etc dont know ANYTHING about tvs. And if they dont go to bestbuy and pay $1000+ for a TV and buy it on there own, they really dont care if its 1080p or all that "garbage". They just look for "o it says HD TV" ok im getting that one looks good, good price big enough.

Ive seen people do it so I know what im tlaking about.

Other then that 1080p is alittle more intensive on bandwith and space. So relax if you cant deal with it. Also, I am a proud owner of a 1080p 32" so im not the "poor" people as you say. But my parents I got them a simple 720p tv so they have HD thats it. They didnt need to pay extra. I did (techinically even thou my tv and there tv was the same value(mine was bought on black friday)) becuase I wanted my games in 1080p and yes XBOX 360 games do support it. Also I wanted 1080p for when I get a blu-ray or PS3.

Besides that 720p is HD and thats all that matters to people, exspecially in this economy.

I am Reid    45

1080p requires too much bandwidth to broadcast, thats it plain and simple. TV's may be 1080p as standard, but for the majority of people, they use their tv to watch regular television channels, not movies and videos games. So, most content will be 720p/1080i as standard.

and you will not see 1080p as the broadcast standard for a LONG time.

TonyLock    26

Sikh, thank you :)

Vlad    12
Yes, but only on 50" + screen sizes... Less than that is perfect with 720p. Actually people are too misguided regarding this understanding.

Most of this 1080p thing is bull****... My sister has a super 60" LCD TV and even on 1080p with this size, you have to move your head to watch it or stay very far from it. I have a 32" LCD tv which I watch at the correct distance (about 2,5 meters close to my eyes) and the picture looks much better than hers.

The rest is just marketing.

No **** you need to "stay very far" from a 60" TV. They're not meant to be used in tiny 10'x10' rooms. Apparently you don't know what resolution means or that quality is relative.

scaramonga    202
Sikh, thank you :)

Forget about the rest of us lol, it's ok :) You could have PM'd him for an answer?

+StevoFC    21

lmao, threads like this make me laugh. if you know nothing about the subject, please don't make up total bull****. It makes it much easier in the long run for those people who actually know what they are talking about to explain how things actually work.

reidtheweed01 gave a nice simple answer, listen to what he said. lol

jerzdawg    338
I am new to HD so please forgive my ignorance and indulge me.

I'd like to know why there are more the lower resolution 720 movies and games coming out for HDTV rather than the better quality, higher resolution of 1080p? Even TV broadcasts are in 720 and not 1080.

I was really bothered to see the StarWars saga in 720 and not 1080. What's going on? Is it because a load of poor people purchased more 720 HDTVs as opposed to the little more expensive 1080 TVs? So now all of us who spent a $200 more on a more superior product have to suffer because of the poor masses.

I know I am late to this party.. but I am just curious... did I miss this release? "StarWars saga in 720 and not 1080" this was released on blu already?