Why is 720 so popular?

I know I am late to this party.. but I am just curious... did I miss this release? "StarWars saga in 720 and not 1080" this was released on blu already?

no, but they have been broadcast in HD

For me its that I don't have the room (or the money!) for a TV larger than 32 inches, and I've heard that 1080p doesn't display well on screens smaller than 40 inches. It's not that I don't want the better resolution, and I'd prefer if TV broadcasts could be 1080p if they had the bandwidth for the sake of those who do have a bigger screen. Another thing to remember is that for most viewers anything better than 480i is better, just like anything faster than 56K is broadband, they don't see the need for all that even if they could afford it.

no, but they have been broadcast in HD

Ok.. so basically this OP is just mad about his local cable company only broadcasting in 720... sounds like he should either switch to one of those satelite companies that have 100+ HD channels... maybe he will have better luck there...

Ok.. so basically this OP is just mad about his local cable company only broadcasting in 720... sounds like he should either switch to one of those satelite companies that have 100+ HD channels... maybe he will have better luck there...

the broadcasts have absolutely nothing to do with the provider. Each network/channel chooses what they want to broadcast in. 720p or 1080i.

Well, 1080p will give him a sharper picture than 720p :rofl:

No, it will give him a higher resolution. Cloverfield and Blair Witch would never be sharp no matter what format.

No, it will give him a higher resolution. Cloverfield and Blair Witch would never be sharp no matter what format.

Which in return usually gives you a sharper and clearer picture on a larger display.

And sure Cloverfield and Blair Witch can be sharper, just ramp up the sharpness setting on your TV if you don't mind halos :rofl:

the broadcasts have absolutely nothing to do with the provider. Each network/channel chooses what they want to broadcast in. 720p or 1080i.

are you sure about that?... during the NFL season I had a few games broadcasted in 720 while my friend only 30 miles away with a different provider was watching the same game @ 1080i....

are you sure about that?... during the NFL season I had a few games broadcasted in 720 while my friend only 30 miles away with a different provider was watching the same game @ 1080i....

A simple thing to do is look at the free signal over the air. It will be the same over the air as they broadcast it in with a service provider.

And the boxes vary by provider. Some cable boxes will pass a 720p signal through even if set to 1080i. Others will force the box to upscale.

Edited by StevoFC

A simple thing to do is look at the free signal over the air. It will be the same over the air as they broadcast it in with a service provider.

And the boxes vary by provider. Some cable boxes will pass a 720p signal through even if set to 1080i. Others will force the box to upscale.

that makes sense.. I def forced my cable box to send the original signal through... not sure about my friends... he did mention that all of his HD channels were 1080i...

that makes sense.. I def forced my cable box to send the original signal through... not sure about my friends... he did mention that all of his HD channels were 1080i...

Out of the box, many cable boxes force everything to 1080i. You need to manually set it up to send 720p when the original feed is 720p.

Which in return usually gives you a sharper and clearer picture on a larger display.

And sure Cloverfield and Blair Witch can be sharper, just ramp up the sharpness setting on your TV if you don't mind halos :rofl:

I was referring to the cinematography. Both of those movies use multiple film stocks and lots of shakes and graininess... Trying to sharpen them would just create blobs for a picture. :D