Windows 7 to officially support logon UI background customization

@link8506: That is a cool application! I just tried it, but it crashed when I applied the background. =(

that's weird :(

it tested it on three windows 7 PCs and 1 windows 2008 r2 pc and no crash

when did it crash?

-when running the cmd file admin (which creates the required background folder in windows\system32\oobe\infos)?

-or when the "apply" button shows "please wait 1/13" and so on?

did you apply a wallpaper included in windows or a wallpaper of your own?

that's weird :(

it tested it on three windows 7 PCs and 1 windows 2008 r2 pc and no crash

when did it crash?

-when running the cmd file admin (which creates the required background folder in windows\system32\oobe\infos)?

-or when the "apply" button shows "please wait 1/13" and so on?

did you apply a wallpaper included in windows or a wallpaper of your own?

Forgot to add that I used it in VMWare. Maybe because it does not have Aero enabled? It crashed when I clicked Apply the background or something to that effect. I used one of the included backgrounds in your program.

Isn't there any way this can be done natively on 7? Without the use of any 3rd party app?

Yes, of course, with two very simple steps:

1. Go to the following registry location:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\Background]

then create a new Dword key named OEMBackground (if it's not there already) and set it to 1.

2. Create a jpg image (must be smaller than 246kB!), name it backgroundDefault.jpg and place it in the following folder: (create it if it doesn't exist)

C:\Windows\system32\oobe\info\backgrounds

That's it already.

Forgot to add that I used it in VMWare. Maybe because it does not have Aero enabled? It crashed when I clicked Apply the background or something to that effect. I used one of the included backgrounds in your program.

the problem is not due to the lack of aero.

that said, it was certainly very slow under vmware because of the lack of 3d acceleration.

I published an update to my program an hour ago, if you want to test again... error messages should be more explicit now (at least for me ^^)