Win 7, 7057 as main OS?

Sadly, they seem to have taken one step forward, it's faster(than 7048), and two steps backward...it's freezes repeatedly.

But of course, it is a beta...

I've got 7057 running on a IBM Thinkpad T23 in Aero Basic and it's pretty good. WinXP was pretty slow and hesitated a lot and Vista was about the same, but Win7 7057 runs pretty dang smooth on it.

IBM Thinkpad T23

PIII 1.13MHz

512MB memory

I still have to hold that damn laptop at a 45? angle to turn it on and it takes about 2-3 tries to turn on that way even, but the fact that Win7 loaded, runs, and is usable is quite an accomplishment I believe.

Though I'm dual-booting Vista, SP1 and & Build 7057, I've not logged into Vista for days now.

7057, at least for me, is rock solid. Installed more than a 20 programs and codecs as well as

Shockwave, Flash and Java. No issues at all thus far.

I have Win7 7000 as main OS in my 5 years old PC and I have no problems at all. Well, only this stupid bug

vxn5dt.jpg

but I'll wait for RC or RTM. :)

Actually have seen that "bug" before though it is not a bug. To get rid of that associate winrar with the file extension .part.

Though I'm dual-booting Vista, SP1 and & Build 7057, I've not logged into Vista for days now.

7057, at least for me, is rock solid. Installed more than a 20 programs and codecs as well as

Shockwave, Flash and Java. No issues at all thus far.

I'm dual booting with XP64, but I rarely boot it anymore since mid-January already. All builds so far have been very solid for be, doing all my everyday tasks, and I didn't have a single crash yet.

7057 is now the main OS on my lappy... but not on my desktop...

I don't too worry about files on my lappy I already have everything important backed up on an external

7057 is now the main OS on my lappy... but not on my desktop...

I don't too worry about files on my lappy I already have everything important backed up on an external

Ditto.

You need to rename the c:\windows\system32\mfpmp.exe to anything. (example: mfpmp_lol.exe)

(note: if you rename it, wmv files can't be played, so you need to rename it back after used)

Actually have seen that "bug" before though it is not a bug. To get rid of that associate winrar with the file extension .part.

Thanks. At last I got rid of the problem leaving WinRar context menu without icons. :D

After my first day with build 7000 I killed Vista and will never go back to it.

I struggled with Vista on a fairly new Dell Precision workstation since the first public beta and it SUCKED even after SP1.

Slow as molasses, plenty of workarounds needed to get it functioning in our work environment, and just too big of a resource hog.

Win 7 blew it away even at the public beta stage. Everything I had installed worked just fine, all my drivers were good (minus one multifunction network printer driver), it was snappy as hell, and worked like MS promised Vista would years ago.

At home I did the upgrade path from 7000->7022->7048->7057 and just today at work I did a clean install from 7048->7057.

I gotta say the clean install of 7057 got rid of some anomalies I have on my Dell laptop I did the upgrade method on.

Hopefully my network card wont do its 'im not playing on the internet right now' crap it does on my laptop.

Yep, main OS here since build 7000, and it will be my main OS up to and after the RTM and we get our new Volume License copies at work!

I held off and cringed at the thought of ever moving any of our regular users to Vista.. With Win 7 I cant wait to push this out and watch em all go 'HUH' at the new GUI hehehehe.

only 2 complains with this build. 1.Counter Strike Source seemed to run alot smoother with the 1st public beta. Also with this 7057 it seems I have to take ownership of alot of files while installing things like Blackberry Desktop manager.

What Blackberry Desktop Manager did you install??

I had forgotten to put that back on yesterday and just ran through installing 4.7 like a minute ago and it went without a hitch..

Guess now I should test whether it will sync or not with my Curve hehe.

I would never run a beta OS as a main OS. Get yourself VMWARE and wait for final.

BETA OS = Asking for problems.

Or dual boot. I've not logged into Vista for nearly a month. 7000 (and now 7057) has been quite the solid OS for me.

Or dual boot. I've not logged into Vista for nearly a month. 7000 (and now 7057) has been quite the solid OS for me.

Same here. I havent even seen Vista since the public beta came out in january.

Not a single complaint from me.

As far as a 'beta' OS goes, it might not be primetime, but it sure kicks Vista's ass already and its not even a release candidate yet.

@ Monotremata

On a side note, nice avatar. Swans were a GREAT band. Michael Gira and Jarboe created some of the finest music this side of goth.

Hello Everyone,

Ok after 3 days of deep testing i return back to Windows Vista with SP1 and will wait for atlease RTM to try again windows 7.

Here's my rating for the OS:

Installation: 3 out of 5 (They should bring some dynamic animation during installation so that you know that your system is not hanged).

Dual Booting: 1 out of 5 (Dual booting with Windows XP is not working).

GUI: 4 out of 5 (Nice GUI).

Compatibility: 1 out 5 ( For me most important software such as Acrobat Reader 9.0.1, Jave latest build and Nero is not installing, the installer always crash).

Speed: 3 out of 5 (Nice Speed but still smells like Vista).

I tested this build on my laptop with following specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 Ghz

Ram 2.5 GB

Hard Disk 120 GB

Intel 945 Graphic Card

And also after the release of IE 8 for Windows Vista and XP give me a good reason to switch back!

Thanks everyone.

@ Monotremata

On a side note, nice avatar. Swans were a GREAT band. Michael Gira and Jarboe created some of the finest music this side of goth.

Haha as was Wire one of my fave post-punk bands..

Your posts the last couple of days have me wishing I knew where my Chairs Missing disc was nowadays.. :D

Its ok, but it isnt super-fast, and there are a few things that make me consider going back to XP for the time being:

* no Daemon Tools.

* no TMPGEnc product support

* other network computers (running xp) dont show up naturally in network (still accesible though, just annoying)

Win 7 is fun, and now i know more what to expect, but after 3 days with it, i'm missing xp just a little bit too much.

I know what you mean. After trying Windows 7 for a few days, I find myself missing MS DOS 6.22 a little bit too much.

I know what you mean. After trying Windows 7 for a few days, I find myself missing MS DOS 6.22 a little bit too much.

That's nothing, I find myself missing C64 Basic a little bit too much :rofl:

c64-startup201.gif