Police release 'hero' arrested for killing teenage burglar

A man quizzed over the fatal stabbing of a teenage burglar was freed on bail today as supporters hailed him a hero.

He was released as members of the public swamped websites set up in memory of the raider with messages backing the man's actions.

The suspected burglar, 17-year-old Tyler Juett, was killed after he was allegedly caught breaking into a house in Old Basford, Nottingham.

The youngster died from stab wounds after being rushed to the city's Queen's Medical Centre after the incident on Friday afternoon.

Neighbours later claimed he was confronted inside the home of foster carer Jacqueline Johnson, 46, and her three grown-up children.

It emerged yesterday that a 14-year-old boy - believed to have been an accomplice of Juett - was also stabbed but was not seriously injured.

Two men in their early 20s - thought to Ms Johnson's relatives - and four male youths were later arrested in connection with the incident.

Police, who are treating Juett's death as murder, released the 21-year-old without charge on Sunday and freed the 22-year-old on bail yesterday.

There was no sign of the Johnsons at their home, which remained cordoned off as forensic officers continued to search the scene for clues.

But the family received massive public support on the internet, with one site specially set up to hail a householder's right to defend his home.

One visitor claimed Juett deserved his fate, adding: 'This dude is a pretty cool guy. He stabs thug wanna-bes and isn't afraid of anything.'

Others left comments including 'I admire your work - good job, sir', 'The world is a better place', 'He got what he deserved' and 'Good riddance'.

Juett's family have demanded proof that he and his friends were raiding the property, claiming suggestions he was a burglar were 'made up'.

His mother Michelle, 34, refused to speak to the press but wrote on her Facebook page: 'Why, why, why, why, why? I want my baby back.'

One visitor to an anti-Juett website responded: 'It's always the parents who are first to complain when something happens to little Johnny.

'If they took more responsibility for their kids they wouldn't be out burgling people's houses and wouldn't get shot or stabbed or whatever.'

A page dedicated to Juett on memorial site gonetoosoon.org was removed after being overwhelmed by comments in support of the householder.

Friends yesterday admitted Juett, a former pupil at the Henry Mellish School in inner-city Bulwell, Nottingham, was known to get into trouble.

One, Chris Imrie, said the one-time promising footballer would be missed, adding: 'He had a hard upbringing, but he was always a mate.

'If you were around him it would always be an upbeat atmosphere, because he could always say things that made people laugh.'

A posting on another tribute site, which hailed Juett as a 'solja', added: 'He done what we do. But it went wrong, so that's unlucky.'

A post mortem confirmed Juett died from a stab-wound, but detectives have refused to reveal who owned the knife that was used to kill him.

Nottinghamshire police said they were still treating the incident as a murder and that a burglary attempt was one line of the inquiry.

A spokesman added: 'We would ask anyone who was in the area to cast their minds back and see if they can remember anyone acting suspiciously.'

Neighbours living near the scene of the killing said the area had suffered a number of recent burglaries and householders were 'on edge'.

source

His mother Michelle, 34, refused to speak to the press but wrote on her Facebook page: 'Why, why, why, why, why? I want my baby back.'
Tough luck, that's the risk you take. Because he was a thug and was trying to rob someone that worked hard to get what they have and got what he deserved.

Sure it's sad that he had to die, but had he been doing the right thing and not trying to take from someone, well... he'd still be walking and talking and breathing.

I'll tell you all what ... this kid should have known better. Breaking into someone's home can carry severe consequences. Consider me, for example. I own a Remington 870. If some idiot breaks into my house, I am going to blow their head off. Period.

*...Charged with murder...* -- what kind of fouled up bull**** is that, anyway?

2 people tried to break in to my house one night just before christmas. I was having a nap at the time so all the lights were off, i was woken up by the sound of them trying to break the door down i didnt relise what was going on :wacko: anyway... they saw me and ran off... but i was fully prepared to stab them.

I think it should be every home owners right to tackle an intruder... the law is too soft... the person breaking in doesnt care about your rights so why do we have to care about theirs??

Wow. I live literally 5 minutes walk from QMC (Queens Medical Centre).

I love how they are now taking quotes of peoples facebook pages :p

"Michelle is Why oh why..."

Wow. I live literally 5 minutes walk from QMC (Queens Medical Centre).

I love how they are now taking quotes of peoples facebook pages :p

"Michelle is Why oh why..."

Journalism at it's finest. Gotta love it.

I'll tell you all what ... this kid should have known better. Breaking into someone's home can carry severe consequences. Consider me, for example. I own a Remington 870. If some idiot breaks into my house, I am going to blow their head off. Period.

You and me both, brother.

Don't want to get killed? Don't be a perp.

Fixed.

I can almost guarantee that was the original post :p

Nice Arby n the Chief ref.

On a serious note, lead a life crime and you deserve what comes at you. This kid deserves no remorse for the life he chose to live. Cheers to the man that defended himself and his home.

I think it should be every home owners right to tackle an intruder... the law is too soft... the person breaking in doesnt care about your rights so why do we have to care about theirs??

+1

You are cold, cold people.

It's not even an eye for an eye, for chrissake. It's "you're stealing my stuff, I get to kill you!". There's such a thing as reasonable force.

Burglars aren't even necessarily going to attack the person in the house, but stealing possessions and invading personal space is somehow justification for murder?

I hope that there was no intent to kill, on either side.

This is the internet, ultra-violence is the norm. This is the section where it was suggested we execute children (on the spot of course) for stealing candy bars.

One visitor claimed Juett deserved his fate, adding: 'This dude is a pretty cool guy. He stabs thug wanna-bes and isn't afraid of anything.'

heh, "nice" to see a meme get printed.

This is the internet, ultra-violence is the norm. This is the section where it was suggested we execute children (on the spot of course) for stealing candy bars.

Are you referring to one of my old posts? :D

I've become extremely wiser since then and my views have changed a lot :)

It's not even an eye for an eye, for chrissake. It's "you're stealing my stuff, I get to kill you!". There's such a thing as reasonable force.

Burglars aren't even necessarily going to attack the person in the house, but stealing possessions and invading personal space is somehow justification for murder?

Whatever. People have no excuse for breaking into someone else's house. Not one. This kind of event is 100% preventable - don't break into people's houses. If you are stupid enough to break into someone's home you deserve what you get, period.

And wtf? Killing an intruder != murder. Walking up to someone on the street and shooting them in the face is murder. Breaking into someone's house and killing them is murder. You don't get to violate other people's rights and then complain when they DEFEND THEMSELVES. Jesus. I wouldn't hesitate to defend myself from an intruder, because I would consider the very act of intrusion to be a threat to my safety. What are you supposed to do, ask them if they just want to rob you? Should I let them rape my girlfriend, because gee wiz, I wouldn't want to cross that sacred "eye for an eye" rule by shooting them like the human trash that they are?

It's just a practical application of "My home is my castle".

Claiming that it was murder is absolutely ludicrous, because the owner had a good reason, i.e. defending his property. Ok, killing the burglar was perhaps a little too much, but then the guy shouldn't have broken in there in the first place, then he would still be living.

Guess that area won't see any more burglars anytime soon ;)

+1!!!!

Someone breaks in they're going to be greeted with a glock and a warning to get on the ground....it's up to them what happens next.

You don't get to violate other people's rights and then complain when they DEFEND THEMSELVES. Jesus. I wouldn't hesitate to defend myself from an intruder, because I would consider the very act of intrusion to be a threat to my safety.

Self defence only applies to actually being attacked, you can't just define random events as a threat and then kill people because of it. As much as I'd like to say people listening to Paris Hilton's CD is a threat to my safety and I was only defending myself against them, I doubt the police would agree with me.

Here's the thing, if you're the one doing the attacking, you can't be the one doing the defending.

Jesus. I wouldn't hesitate to defend myself from an intruder, because I would consider the very act of intrusion to be a threat to my safety.

It's not just a threat to safety; burglars also make their victims fear for their life a lot of the time.

They are disgusting, evil, individuals.

Homicide then. (I checked up on the definition of murder and it is indeed beyond what I intended to convey.)

The issue is, we don't know the exact circumstances in the house. Just finding another person in your house stealing stuff does not mean you get to use deadly force against them.

Burglary is obviously a crime. But at what point are you drawing the line saying killing the intruder (deadly force) is a reasonable response? For me it would only be direct self-defence to your life being threatened.

Essentially, don't jump to conclusions. Don't assume it was justified. Don't assume the perpetrator "deserved" it. That is the job of the investigators.

(Why is everyone so attached to possessions anyway? You have insurance, for one, and for two: they are almost always replaceable, artificial items.)

Define 'reasonable force', please. Here's a scenario. It's 12:30AM and I am awoken from my slumber by weird sounds coming from my living room. I grab my shotgun and slowly approach the source of said disturbances. Upon entering the living room, I see a shadow. A burglar, if you will. I am now faced with a dillema. I could confront said individual and risk being shot (it's dark, he could have a gun) or I could just shoot him. He is in my home. I have my girlfriend in the back room. I can't risk it. So I shoot him. Now, keep in mind ... I live in Las Vegas. I also live in the United States. 2nd Amendment and all that. Chances are, if he is willing to break into my home, how much further is he willing to go? For every action, there is a consequence.

heh, "nice" to see a meme get printed.

There is no 'ultra-violence' to it.

+1!!!!

Someone breaks in they're going to be greeted with a glock and a warning to get on the ground....it's up to them what happens next.

Well, you're more willing to warn them than I. Personally, my door is the warning. They choose to risk their lives by entering my castle uninvited. They knew the possible consequences.

Self defence only applies to actually being attacked, you can't just define random events as a threat and then kill people because of it. As much as I'd like to say people listening to Paris Hilton's CD is a threat to my safety and I was only defending myself against them, I doubt the police would agree with me.

Here's the thing, if you're the one doing the attacking, you can't be the one doing the defending.

Actually, in several states here in the US, if someone is in your home (ie: burglar), you can simply shoot them. Period. And if someone breaks into my house, I consider my life in danger. Who knows if THEY have a gun or weapon. Plus, I have a girlfriend to worry about. Someone breaks into my home, they're dead. Period. No questions. No mercy. Just a 00-buckshot to the chest/back/head. Period.

(Why is everyone so attached to possessions anyway? You have insurance, for one, and for two: they are almost always replaceable, artificial items.)

Better ask the burglars why they're so attached to other people's possessions they need to steal them. Being attached to one's own possessions is one thing, being attached to other people's possessions to the point you want to steal them is quite another matter entirely.

Lord Ba'al that is not in question. I just want to know the rationale behind possessions being worth more than someone's life.

Rogue, I am not talking about any specific situations, not will I give a judgement on that. Your eagerness to kill people literally scares me. Ugh.

My point is, we do not know the exact situation this event. Thus people should stop leaping to conclusions.

Why is everyone so attached to possessions anyway? You have insurance, for one, and for two: they are almost always replaceable, artificial items.

If my laptop got stolen and I didn't have a back-up it would take years to get all of my music back and add artwork to every song - something which is a must for me and my OCD :D

Also, it might be impossible to get some sentimental photos back :|

I'm not saying whether it is fair to kill a robber or not, I'm just making a fair point.