Blu-ray 6ch analogue out into Logitech Z-5500

Hi,

I'm looking at getting my first blu-ray player (at last!) but until I have the funds to invest in a better setup want to use my current computer monitor (1920x1080 native resolution with HDMI inputs) and my Logitech Z-5500 speakers. Now I appreciate that I can connect any player with an optical or coax output into the Z-5550s and get the core DD/DTS streams but if possible I would like to appreciate the higher sound quality on offer.

If I were to buy a blu-ray player with 6ch analogue outputs would it be possible to connect these to the analogue inputs on my Z-5500. Like most pc speaker set ups the analogue inputs are three standard headphone jacks (green, black & orange) but as I understand it these are just a 6 channel signal summed into three stereo channels to reduce the need for 6 separate jacks. If I were to buy three phono to headphone Y splitters (such as one of these) and connected each to their appropriate two channels would that be a solution? I know that the green jack should take the two fronts, the black the two rears and the orange the sub and centre so I can't see why it wouldn't be feasible to hook them up in such a way - just want to be sure I'm not gonna blow up my speakers in doing so!

Can anyone give me any advice? Thanks a lot.

Not that its impossible, but since I've been exposed to real speakers *cough cough*, I doubt a simple pair of logitechs will be able to highlight the nuances that make sounds special.

Aside from my skewed perspective, I don't think what you want to accomplish is going to work. Each channel is its own independent signal, either decoded from the player or at the receiver. The use of a splitter wouldn't help with the transmission, but then again I coudl be wrong.

My own personal advice is to invest in better audio. Once you do, you cringe at most common forms of audio equipment on the mass market. But then again, since I have nothing to lose, I'd say try it, if anything for the experience of trying.

Yeah, I'm not sure the hassle of even trying anything other than optical is worth it on a computer speaker system. The sound will be more than acceptable with the optical cable.

Thanks for the replies. Believe me I'd love to invest in better kit but just getting the player in the first place shall break the bank - I want to upgrade to a decent separates asap but that's going to take some saving! I think to that end I'll go for a cheaper player without the analogue outs and put the difference towards my (eventual) amp and speakers.

In my book then, your going about this all backwards. Why go HD when you don't have a system to play it on? That goes for both audio and video (read my sig).

Invest in a quality audio system, you don't have to break the bank. I'm not certain of the UK markets, but I'm sure you can discover some great used deals on equipment. Here in the states, quality receivers and amps which used to cost upwards to 5-7 thousand USD, can now be had for around 1 thousand; if it doesn't have HDMI or iPod,XM etc functionality, many deem it defunct. Not so, a quality product will last forever, and as you already know, HD audio can be had via analog outputs.

Stick to DVD, with DTS audio tracks over optical, which is phenomenal in its own right, even on high quality systems. If you don't think you can't hear a difference between DD and DTS on a simple system, the then system isn't good enough.

Read, he wants to experience HD audio feeds which are impossible over SPIFD and fiber optic. Multichannel analog can output the exact same HD feed as HDMI, however he wanted a shortcut to a problem which will cost him more in the long run.