Recommend me a 50mm Lenses

Can anyone recommend me a 50mm lens for a nikon d40? I am looking into taking some portrait photos but I am unsure of settings I should use to get great portrait photos with the standard lens kit. Can anyone advise?

The 50mm will take wonderful portraits. You can go with the one that ABLNN posted, but if you want autofocus you'll have to get the AF-S 50mm f/1.4G. If you don't mind learning about exposure, the older AI Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 is a true gem.

The D40(x) & D60 will only autofocus with AF-S and AF-I lenses. "Regular" AF lenses will not autofocus, due to the lack of an in-body focus motor.

no. But who needs autofocus anyways?

Sometimes it's a nice convenience. Especially if your eyes aren't the greatest, i'm fairly young and have to take my time to MF. Getting a split-prism screen in my camera helped a bit though.

Ok so if I got the one I suggested above can anyone suggest a good split-prism? Or is there an AF-S 50mm alternative thats good with the D40? I have heard people mention the Sigma 50mm f/1.8? (I think). What about that?

wtf, nobody's mentioned the AF-S 35mm f1.8!?

35mm is not 50mm...unless of course you account for FF vs DX, which would make the 35mm a 52.5mm ;)

A 50mm lens on DX would give you a similar AOV to an 85mm lens, and 85mm lenses are great for portraiture as a focal length due to compression of features and lack of distortion. A 35mm lens on a DX would put you around 50mm, which is a great 'natural' focal length as it's pretty similar to what the eye sees. Your choice, either would be great ;)

I always thought the 50mm was recommended as a portrait lens on DX as it became a short tele at about 80mm. Would the 35mm give the same effect?

I've heard the "sweet portrait spot" is 50-80mm.

So on DX, the 35mm is 52mm, which is in that range.

Well to be honest seeing as im a real newbie to this I am looking for the best for my money. I have the standard lens which is great for general use. My D40 cost me ?250 so I don't want to spend more than that of course. I am looking to spend about ?130 which is what the 50mm Nikor is going for. But as I am also new to Manual Focus...AF-S would be excellent but if I got that Nikkor 50mm I guess its great to practice focusing manually.

Well to be honest seeing as im a real newbie to this I am looking for the best for my money. I have the standard lens which is great for general use. My D40 cost me ?250 so I don't want to spend more than that of course. I am looking to spend about ?130 which is what the 50mm Nikor is going for. But as I am also new to Manual Focus...AF-S would be excellent but if I got that Nikkor 50 I guess its great to practice focusing manually.b>

Believe me, you'll get tired of it fast.

At ?189 the AFS 35mm is not actually that much more, the reviews of it seem pretty good. Might be worth thinking about.

Where did you see that?

Well to be honest seeing as im a real newbie to this I am looking for the best for my money. I have the standard lens which is great for general use. My D40 cost me ?250 so I don't want to spend more than that of course. I am looking to spend about ?130 which is what the 50mm Nikor is going for. But as I am also new to Manual Focus...AF-S would be excellent but if I got that Nikkor 50mm I guess its great to practice focusing manually.

What's keeping you from focusing manually with your current lens?

Believe me, you'll get tired of it fast.

Yea, manual focus is just annoying. I rarely have a need for it.

Well nothing but because my lens is AF-S anyways I just never do Manual focus. But if I had a lenses where I had to manual focus it forces me to which would in turn give me practice. If I can avoid it then all good ! lol

Say you wanna shoot indoor sports one day. You'll need the FASTEST lens possible. And between the 18-55 and the 50mm f1.8, the 50mm f1.8 is WAY faster. But try manually focusing sports at an indoor gym...

Say you wanna shoot indoor sports one day. You'll need the FASTEST lens possible. And between the 18-55 and the 50mm f1.8, the 50mm f1.8 is WAY faster. But try manually focusing sports at an indoor gym...

What's the problem? It's a bit annoying but it's not nearly as bad as professional TV/movie filming. Those cameras don't have auto focus. The camera man has to manually focus everything.