Recommend me a 50mm Lenses

What's the problem? It's a bit annoying but it's not nearly as bad as professional TV/movie filming. Those cameras don't have auto focus. The camera man has to manually focus everything.

I do agree with what someone said - what's the big deal over a 50mm ?? No zoom, So your subject will have to see you doing the snake lurch. (in and out, in and out and around.) for what it's worth. PORTRAITS would look awesome on a zoom. This way you will have control over your composition. On my Pentax 645 (remember that?) I have a 90mm that was a standard but I would have to move it in/out and it was just annoying. Go with a 14-45 or 14-42 or something. You get a TRUE wide angle (28mm = 35mm equiv) and a good zoom - 90mm = 35mm equiv - for any situation. I have photos online at Mwaldron Photoshop photos and on my main website. After 20 years of photography, they call ME to work the christmas season. :D

Say you wanna shoot indoor sports one day. You'll need the FASTEST lens possible. And between the 18-55 and the 50mm f1.8, the 50mm f1.8 is WAY faster. But try manually focusing sports at an indoor gym...

So they never took photos of indoor sports before autofocus?

What sport is played in low light? Beer pong?

Most non-professional gym lighting is pretty bad, in terms of getting decent shutter speeds.

So they never took photos of indoor sports before autofocus?

He didn't say that. Your chances of getting good shots are much higher with a decent AF system though.

which would you rather have while shooting low light sports? AF or MF?

AF on a non-pro-body isn't that great to begin with under low light conditions. I'm still curious as to how people ever took photos before AF though.

AF on a non-pro-body isn't that great to begin with under low light conditions. I'm still curious as to how people ever took photos before AF though.

With manual focu:p:p

The other day, I was ****ed because my 40D kept tracking background not subject in AI Servo AF, so I got mad with my 70-200 and flicked it in MF...did a pretty damn good tracking my dog on manual focus @ 200mm wide open with a 40D.

I was in the same boat as you and got a used 50mm for my D40 for $100. Manual focus is a pain but I'm getting better at it. I use my kit lens when I don't have time to set up shots and MF and my 50mm when I'm playing around or can get my subject to be still for 2 seconds.

It's a dirt cheap lense that produces some amazing shots. I know that when I update my body, I'll get something in lines with a D80 that will AF with this lens.

Ah ok. So there isn't much for me to purchase in that price range I assume? I have been searching about but most 50mm lens that are under ?200 are only AF not AF-S:((. I do find MF hard on the D40, I don't mind getting a split prism but how much are they?

Then again after reading install instructions for split prism...mmmm not sure if I wanna risk that!

A good split prism screen is $105 from Katz Eye (http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/item--Nikon-D40-D60-Focusing-Screen--prod_D40.html). I have found the split prism to be immensely better than the stock screen for focusing. It is not hard to install, even someone with shaky hands like mine can manage to do it without a problem. Just take your time.

Hey all,

Ive been using my D40 for a while now, and i borrowed the 50mm 1.8 prime from a good friend. That lens is the hardest lens to focus manually, trust me on that. Go for the AF-S. Is that out yet or no?

You know something's wrong when Argos is the cheapest place for it... Beware though, lots of the places that are cheapest have no stock, the 50mm AFD is like gold dust atm in the UK.

All the attempts I've tried MFing with the 50mm on a D40 resulted in tearing my hair out over stupid things like tack sharps ears and a fuzzy nose. The only ones that worked where when I had a tripod and the subject was a plant that didn't move. Oh, and that took a couple of shots before getting it right. f1.8 is not at all forgiving of focusing errors...

So at the moment its probably best to look at another lens I can play with? Something a bit cheaper that is also AF-S. I don't want to be pulling my hair out attempting to focus lol. I just want something else other than my standard lens that is great for portraits really.

I'm in the same boat as you, I just have my D40 and 18-55mm lens and woul dlike to try a new glass or even body :)

Subscribed to this thread incase any helpful links are posted :D

The way I worked it out was that it was that D40 + the AF-S 50mm worked out roughly the same price as a D90 + AF 50mm D. Although that was before the price fluctuations, it doesn't work out quite the same way now...

You could try the AF-S 35mm if that works? Just have a look at using your kit lens, compare the two focal lengths and see which one you prefer...

Just bought myself a Nikon AF50mm f/1.4D on eBay :)

Had a saved search for "Nikon 50mm" and a new listing poped up. Used AU$390. $100 cheaper than the cheapest new I could find.

I recommend a Nikon 35mm f2. It's as sharp as can get, way sharper than the 50mm f1.4.

It will give you the same range as a 50mm on any DX camera. I'm using it all the time and the sharpness is amazing, even at f2.

I recommend a Nikon 35mm f2. It's as sharp as can get, way sharper than the 50mm f1.4.

It will give you the same range as a 50mm on any DX camera. I'm using it all the time and the sharpness is amazing, even at f2.

The 35mm f/2 also has exceptional close focusing, a definite keeper lens.

• 1 month later...

I think I will purchase the 35mm f2. Saving up a bit of cash at the moment. I can also use this lens when I upgrade my body in a couple years or so. If its as sharp as everyone describes it to be it sounds like the best choice. Does everyone think its a better choice over the 50mm AF-S?