I need a new TV. Please Help?

Well, my small Samsung TV just gave up the ghost. I've had it less than a year but the problem was accidental damage, so theres nothing I can do apart from buy a brand new TV. I was always a little disappointed with it anyway to be honest, so I'm not too bothered about getting a new one.

My last TV was a LE23R888D. I think at the time I stumped up ?350 for it. It was a 23" screen which was exclusive to DSGi stores in the UK.

I do like Samsung but I felt the materials for the panel were a bit weak. I mean to actually break it I just applied some force into the panel and a crack appeared, and that killed it.

I'm looking to pay the same again (Around ?350. But ?500 would be my absolute limit) - I'd like to get a nice brand as well.

I have a few requirements. I need HDMI (720p), decent built-in speakers, Digital/Freeview, Aux in, SCART, and PC Input. High contrast ratio would be a bonus but as long as it's not ridiculously narrow I'd be fine with it. I'm not looking for anything with a high frequency either since that would just hike the price up. Also, a side-mounted HDMI socket would be a bonus but it's not really essential. As for the colour it doesn't have to be glossy black. Glossy white would be neat as well.

And as for size - I think anything between 26" and 32".

Could anyone help me find a good TV? I'm based in the UK and I'd prefer not to order off web-only sites.

I've had a look around but I think I chose an absolute arse of a TV last time so I think I need some help finding a really good one (In my price range anyway) this time.

It's purely for watching SD Digital Channels, the occasional PC Input and my Xbox 360 (Thru HDMI). It's only going to be in a small room. Anything over 32" would look far too large.

Thanks in advance! I'm dying for a decent tv:p :p

I like Samsung's, while I agree the exterior does seem a little weak the picture quality is quite nice, especially for the price. Sony's are the best in my mind but they come at a steep price compared to the others. I'm not sure about you, but I don't buy tv's very often I tend to keep them for at least 10 years. So I'd go for a 32" over a 26" as it'll benefit you more in the future. If you go for a native 720p resolution tv you'll be able to save a bunch as those 1080p screens definitely raise the cost. While I prefer 1080p majority of things are 720p and if you're mostly going to be using it for tv and the xbox (most games are in 720p anyways) there's no need to go for the 1080p. Besides at those smaller screen sizes the difference wouldn't be as noticeable. I can't help by telling you specific tv's as I don't live in the UK, so I'm not sure how much help I really am. Sorry lol. If you posted a few I could tell you which was better.

Get a Samsung LNA32A330 it's 32'' it has 720P, 2 HDMI Inputs, 8,000 Contrast Ratio, And good speakers

i Have one and love it and it's on sale now

Samsung 32 720P

Just to throw in some ideas I can get an LG 32LG3000 or a Samsung LE32A456 for ?315.

The one I had previously cannot be found anywhere! Perhaps I got a duff model that only had a short run.

I'm kinda leaning towards the LG, but I know I'll make a crap decision without any advice! Haha.

Looking at the model numbers it seems like I can get a better model for cheaper. And I can collect from a store, so no shipping and handling to speak of! Thanks for the input though.

... Unless this model is in fact superior than the newer one in some way?

The Samsung you posted and ABLNN are both good. Both seem to have the specs you want with ABLNN's slightly less contrast ratio. I'd suggest those over the LG. LG is nice and all but Samsung has better picture. Both would be a great choice, if price is a concern, go with the cheaper of the 2.

I can get them both for the same price - it's just the LG seems to have better specs on paper. Sound quality and contrast ratio.

Will I really get a noticeable picture difference while running an Xbox 360 thru HDMI (Decent quality cable)? Everything else will be just crappy old SD so I'm not too fussed about the quality of that as I know it'll be awful no matter how good the screen is!

It's all a matter of personal preference. If you're not ordering one, take a look before you buy it? I think the image looks worse on the LG, and I'm not a fan of their display hud either. Not sure about sound, never really paid attention. If you can, see if you can compare them side by side. They usually want to make the sale so they are willing to move **** around :)

I can get them both for the same price - it's just the LG seems to have better specs on paper. Sound quality and contrast ratio.

Never compare contrast ratios between different manufacturers. There is no standard that they use.

My choice would always be a sony - my 40W4000 is fantastic.

Never compare contrast ratios between different manufacturers. There is no standard that they use.

Surely it's only gonna be one of two? Static of Dynamic contrast ratio. Most manufacturers seem to use dynamic.

My choice would always be a sony - my 40W4000 is fantastic.

seconded! its rly high quality for a now moderate price.

I've had a look at the Sony 32"'s that are available to me, and the cheapest I can get a model with a glossy bezel (5500 series) is ?720. But that's over double my budget!

The non-glossy V4000 series is also around double my budget. Sony's are too expensive sadly!

I'm still thinking Samsung would be the brand to go for. There seems to be a lot more special offers on them, and the prices seem to be pretty good for most of them. I've spotted a 37" Samsung Series 4 today for ?315. It's too big for me but it just kinda shows how cheap they can be!

Surely it's only gonna be one of two? Static of Dynamic contrast ratio. Most manufacturers seem to use dynamic.

There is almost no standard when it comes to measuring contrast ratio and, even worse, picture settings outside of the "contrast" setting can also affect the contrast aspect of the image. I always tell people to use the numbers as a general guide, but then put down the paper and just look at the picture on the set. If you like the picture, buy it. If you don't, then move along. Everyone tends to get too obsessed with the numbers and forget that the picture quality can't be dictated by basic specifications alone.

Hey, thank you for all the help!

I ended up getting a 37" LG 3000! I got it for a really good deal with a nice black glass and metal stand. ?462!

I couldn't say no to that. It's only 720p but I've only got an Xbox 360 on HD and I've no intention of using a PS3 and/or Blu Ray on it.

It's bloody immense. I'm sat in front of it now and to me it's absolutely huge. Haha.