"The hard disks database will be rebuilt" error on PS3

My PS3 has been working brilliantly since the original was replaced but just now I was playing Motorstorm: Pacific Rift when I received an error "There was an error saving the save game. Do you wish to retry Y/N?" bur retrying just failed so I cancel and quit the game (I'd not progressed any further since my last save anyway - simply cannot get 1st place on The Edge in Earth Zone grrrrr) but the game closed and the XMB didn't appear - just my theme wallpaper. I held down the PS button on my controller and closed the device down but it beeped twice before turning off.

When I switched it back on I received error "The hard disks database will be rebuilt" which progressed to 100%, rebooted and then seems to work ok.

My game save is not corrupted (thankfully) but I WILL be making a full game save backup just now.

Question is, the HDD in my PS3 is a Seagate Momentous 250GB.

Do you think this is a sign the HDD is failing or can this error happen from time to time if games don't close down properly etc?

Take the hard drive out, hook it up to the PC then use Spinrite on it.

No data will be lost.

No data will be lost.

No need to do that it happened to me the other day but i couldn't play my games cause the disc icon wouldn't show up but what i did was i wasn't turning off my ps3 properly and i was turning off my ps3 from the back switch instead off turning it off from holding down the power button on the front; but anyway just follow proper shutdown procedures and exit your games correctly or else you will end up like me and having to completely reformatting the hard drive and losing your KILLZONE 2 save data cause it's copy locked!

Killa_Aaron.png

Edited by Killa Aaron

No data will be lost.

I only have a laptop so it's not really an option. Unless I use one of my SATA enclosures.....