Rapist Josef Fritzl will be locked up in comfort

Josef Fritzl has been sentenced to life imprisonment in a psychiatric hospital with facilities far more comfortable than the dungeon he locked his daughter Elisabeth in for 24 years.

The 73-year-old was jailed after a jury in St Poelten, Austria, unanimously found him guilty of murder at the end of a four-day trial at which he had already admitted incest, rape, false imprisonment and coercion.

He was also convicted of slavery ? making him the first man to be convicted of the offence in Austria.

However, Fritzl, who raped Elisabeth more than 3,000 times, fathering seven children by her, will spend his years behind bars in far greater luxury than he gave her.

While Elisabeth and her children had to endure squalid and cramped conditions underground with little light or ventilation, Fritzl will get his own cell with a shower, colour television and personal computer.

During his imprisonment at the secure hospital unit of Mittersteig prison in Vienna, he will be allowed to keep a pet for company, if he wishes.

Fritzl will share a sitting room, kitchen and tea-making area that all inmates can use between the hours of 9am and 6pm.

He will also have the chance to study a foreign language at the facility's learning centre.

Unlike his daughter and her children who were never allowed to leave their dungeon, Fritzl will be allowed out of his 16ft by 12ft cell to use the prison's garden for exercise.

He will also be able to keep up to date with life on the outside through access to newspapers and magazines.

Fritzl's lawyer, Rudolf Mayer, said: "He doesn't mind where he goes. It's not like it's a hotel but he would like a prison close to home because it may be that relatives will go to see him."

Fritzl's sister-in-law Christine Renner, 56, told the Daily Mirror newspaper: "What right does he have to live like this after all he has destroyed?

"They should have put him in a pit, put a lid on it, locked it and thrown away the key."

Earlier, Fritzl had apologised "from the bottom of my heart" for the horrific torture he meted out to Elisabeth. He claimed he wished he could "make amends" for his appalling crimes.

He initially denied murdering Michael, one of seven children he fathered by Elisabeth, and to the slavery charge, but dramatically changed his pleas on Wednesday after seeing his daughter in court.

"He burst into tears and when he saw Elisabeth actually in court it was all over for him," said Mr Mayer.

Speaking in a faltering voice, Fritzl told the jury: "I regret from the bottom of my heart what I did to my family.

"Unfortunately I can't make amends for it. I can only try to find ways to limit the damage that has been done."

Michael, one of twins, died in April 1996, just 66 hours after he was born. He developed breathing difficulties but Fritzl refused to seek medical help, making him guilty of "homicide by neglect".

source

If you think about it, it's for his safety. Someone like him wouldn't survive twenty minutes in an actual prison. Why does this make me think of the movie Slingblade?

Personally, I'd rather see him receive 100 lashes publicly.

Well there's an article written to provoke a response.

"the masses" may not like it, but we are human beings with rules. We are supposed to be "better" than Fritzl, otherwise we wouldn't be outraged.

And "better" in what sense? More human would be a start. And you one benchmark for that could be how we treat prisoners, outcasts, etc?

"We are supposed to be 'better' than Fritzl" ... "More human would be a start."

The degree of civilization in a society can be judged by observing its prisoners.

That's a good idea! Lets take the mentally disturbed serial rapist, who's to be locked away, and have him raped constantly, by a similarly disturbed serial rapist... because that's moral and makes perfect sense.

if he was crazy then he wouldn't really feel so bad about what he did... ? isn't that how it works? crazy people don't think they did anything wrong? or is that religious people? not bashing religious poeple, but random stories like this about religious people seem to be excused with "god" told me to do it nonsense.

If you think about it, it's for his safety. Someone like him wouldn't survive twenty minutes in an actual prison

If you ask me, that's how true justice is served. Leave it to the inmates to decide your faith.

That's a good idea! Lets take the mentally disturbed serial rapist, who's to be locked away, and have him raped constantly, by a similarly disturbed serial rapist... because that's moral and makes perfect sense.

Damn straight that's a good idea. I'm with Sethos and Rogue on this one.

Why a black guy? Are they better at butt raping?

Stereotyped larger "equipment" etc, etc.

These types of crimes make you wonder what society would be like if the punishment matched the violation.

He should go to normal jail and get what he deserves.

his ass should deserve worse than a testing machine in a plunger factory.

Stereotyped larger "equipment" etc, etc.

These types of crimes make you wonder what society would be like if the punishment matched the violation.

I'm against stereotyping but..... :rofl:

IMHO he should be locked up for life with no facilities. We don't have to go out of our way to make his life miserable. But why does anyone think he deserves to go to the garden to do exercise, have tv, own pc keep in touch with the outside world ? Whats that for ?

I'd rather see him get butt raped by a big black guy named Bubba.

I wish people like you would not post your own sexual fantasies on the web.

For some reason, I thought he was also a convicted of murder.

The psychiatric wings he will be in will have people with bigger chips on their shoulders than a class A prison.

I cannot understand how it went on for so long without his wife or a neighbours twigging.

We need more nosey neighbours.

Well there's an article written to provoke a response.

"the masses" may not like it, but we are human beings with rules. We are supposed to be "better" than Fritzl, otherwise we wouldn't be outraged.

And "better" in what sense? More human would be a start. And you one benchmark for that could be how we treat prisoners, outcasts, etc?

+1

People here seem to think that vengenace and knee-jerk reactions are the same thing as justice. Hmmm...

And far too many people seem to be overly interested in butt-rape.

All the violent responses - easy to type on a keyboard...

The degree of civilization in a society can be judged by observing its prisoners.

You realise that exact argument goes against you? What does it say about the degree of civilisation in a society, the one you proposed, where he receives 100 lashes?

It makes me wonder whether you try and provoke certain responses, regardless of your actual views.