Microsoft Sued Over Homophobia Claims [Resolved]

rather than E45,000 id aim for E500,000 that way when they try to get you to settle for lower you have a helluva cushion to negotiate with

You make a valid point here, though. Why is he only asking for such a little amount. Why wouldn't he shoot for the stars with a case like this, unless he thought he didn't have a very strong case. Ask for a little, with hopes that they would pay him to shut him up. I think this is more the case. They called his bluff and he was left with no choice but to file suit. He then couldn't ask for more, because it would reflect poorly on him, so he kept the same amount he tried to extort with a bogus claim.

I don't know, I'm not saying this is the case, just kind of thinking out loud. Like I said before, there is more to this case than what we're reading, or it wouldn't have gotten this far out of hand.

I am so glad that you are so balanced about the way you go about your life. If everyone adopted your way things would be so much better.

I think the person whom you were replying to was pointing out those individuals who are attention seekers; not just gays who go about their daily business but those who want to make it known that they are gay and constantly bring up the topic every five seconds. There is a fine line between sitting on the coffee room talking about you did on the weekend along with everyone else - and people who feel as if their sexuality is the only component to who they are as a person.

For me, I've yet to experience any homophobia in the 12 years I have been out; why? because I don't bring up the topic unless I'm asked whether I have a partner or part of the conversation everyone else is participating in; I politely say that I don't have a boyfriend or if I did, participate in the conversation. People don't want to hear about your nocturnal habits quite frankly. There is a time and place for things and honestly I don't think your sexuality is of any interest in the work place.

Regarding jokes, there is a fine line between joshing around, yanking the chain - and being mean and vindictive. Quite honestly, as long as the jokes are all in good fun, I don't know why some people seem to think that everyone else should walk around on egg shells when they find they have a gay colleague; good lord, I'm not a precious snow flake that needs protection from a little office banter!

You make a valid point here, though. Why is he only asking for such a little amount. Why wouldn't he shoot for the stars with a case like this, unless he thought he didn't have a very strong case. Ask for a little, with hopes that they would pay him to shut him up. I think this is more the case. They called his bluff and he was left with no choice but to file suit. He then couldn't ask for more, because it would reflect poorly on him, so he kept the same amount he tried to extort with a bogus claim.

I don't know, I'm not saying this is the case, just kind of thinking out loud. Like I said before, there is more to this case than what we're reading, or it wouldn't have gotten this far out of hand.

Or maybe not everyone thinks you need to try and sue for 8,000,000 for every lawsuit.

Looks like the guy is trying to claim back part of his wages for the 7 months and some extra for the abuse.

I think discrimination comes from the fact that a lot of people think they deserve preferential treatment because they are gay

no, equal treatment would be sufficient already. or what about some 100 years of discrimination against straight people? on some days, i just think that would be the key to educate people in their behavior against minorities.

I think discrimination comes from the fact that a lot of people think they deserve preferential treatment because they are gay, of a different race etc. and this breeds resentment from the rest of the population. There are no "straight pride" parades, why should there be a "gay pride."

Because straight people dont get as much resentment as you just said, they dont get beat up or murdered for being straight, they dont get or lose jobs because they are straight, they dont get abused, ridiculed, discriminated against because they are straight. For the same reason you dont see racial marches as much anymore because black people or people of any race have the rights they were fighting for like equality.... homosexuals dont.

What you do in the privacy of your own bedroom is your own business, but when you open the floor by bragging (probably not the right word, but I'm tired) about your sexual escapades, you open the door to criticism about your lifestyle as well.

Im tired of hearing about straight people "bragging" about their sexual escapades, the latest 'chick' they have 'banged' but i have to put up with it, i have to put up with advertisements, films, tv shows, music all aimed at straight people because they are the dominant sexuality.

EVERYONE should be treated EQUAL, it shouldn't matter if you're gay, straight, black, white, up, down, liberal, conservative, etc. NO ONE deserves special treatment because of these.

This guy isnt asking for special treatment, hes just asking to be accepted for who he is and not have childish immature sexual discrimination in the form of emails sent around the office, he tried going to HR they said they would send a memo around to remind people, not that they would pull the people in who sent the emails in for a warning or a stern talking to, they fobbed him off by saying they would remind people then after months of no emails he goes back to HR who said they know they didnt send the memo out because of company policy so why did they tell him in the first place they would send a memo out. If it were a woman or someone of a different race who were discriminated against the people in question would be fired for gross misconduct.

We don't know how this got started. Maybe this fellow started with small jokes about his sexuality which led to more by his coworkers. While it would still be unacceptable, the "he started it" philosiphy (I know I spelled it wrong) will come into play and would affect his case.

No we dont and im sick and goddamn tired of people automatically assuming it was the gay person making small jokes, why is it always the gay person who a large portion of people dont like anyway just because he is gay who has to start the thing. He worked there for 11 years and the discrimination only started happening a year ago its safe to say for those 11 years he didnt make jokes or mince about the office, his co-workers found out probably other means like social networking sites or other 'friends' who he has told he is gay and then the abuse starts.

The 'he started it' philosphy would have no goddamn bearing on his 'case', why would making jokes about his sexuality affect how the sexual discrimination and abuse against him affect any sort of outcome???????????????????????????????????

Microsoft isn't anti-gay if a stupid worker on lionhead studio sends out hate mails...

They might not be "anti-gay" however they are failing to deal with discrimination if people repeatedly do it and they do not respond appropriately when they are informed about it.

Because straight people dont get as much resentment as you just said, they dont get beat up or murdered for being straight, they dont get or lose jobs because they are straight, they dont get abused, ridiculed, discriminated against because they are straight. For the same reason you dont see racial marches as much anymore because black people or people of any race have the rights they were fighting for like equality.... homosexuals dont.

Im tired of hearing about straight people "bragging" about their sexual escapades, the latest 'chick' they have 'banged' but i have to put up with it, i have to put up with advertisements, films, tv shows, music all aimed at straight people because they are the dominant sexuality.

This guy isnt asking for special treatment, hes just asking to be accepted for who he is and not have childish immature sexual discrimination in the form of emails sent around the office, he tried going to HR they said they would send a memo around to remind people, not that they would pull the people in who sent the emails in for a warning or a stern talking to, they fobbed him off by saying they would remind people then after months of no emails he goes back to HR who said they know they didnt send the memo out because of company policy so why did they tell him in the first place they would send a memo out. If it were a woman or someone of a different race who were discriminated against the people in question would be fired for gross misconduct.

No we dont and im sick and goddamn tired of people automatically assuming it was the gay person making small jokes, why is it always the gay person who a large portion of people dont like anyway just because he is gay who has to start the thing. He worked there for 11 years and the discrimination only started happening a year ago its safe to say for those 11 years he didnt make jokes or mince about the office, his co-workers found out probably other means like social networking sites or other 'friends' who he has told he is gay and then the abuse starts.

The 'he started it' philosphy would have no goddamn bearing on his 'case', why would making jokes about his sexuality affect how the sexual discrimination and abuse against him affect any sort of outcome???????????????????????????????????

You sir, are being ignorant to how the law works. If he were the type of person to go around making jokes about his sexuality, then of course the "he started it" philosify would most definitely have a bearing on his case. If he opened up this can of worms, then he is responsible for it. He wouldn't be able to sue for "hurt feelings" if he participated in his own ridicule.

I never assumed anything and said as much, the fact that you only copied certain parts of my replies says volumes about you. You totally changed the whole tone of my post by what you did. These gay pride parades aren't about the rights you have mentioned above. They have become a walking circus and you have a lot of nerve comparing them to the race marches, imho. I'm surprised you haven't been jumped all over on here for it.

All I'm saying is that we don't have all the information on this case and should wait to see what's really going on here before we jump to conclusions and make an argument either way. I fail to understand why you jump all over me when I'm staying neutral on the subject.

no, equal treatment would be sufficient already. or what about some 100 years of discrimination against straight people? on some days, i just think that would be the key to educate people in their behavior against minorities.

This is another very annoying thing. You haven't lived through 100 years of sexism, just like I haven't perpetuated 100 years of it. Saying stuff like this is meant to inflame, and is totally useless bs. I'm part native, and I use no social programs whatsoever. I survive on my own because I believe no one should receive preferential treatment. Because my ancestors were duped out of land 100 years ago, I'm not going to say I deserve something now for that!

You sir, are being ignorant to how the law works. If he were the type of person to go around making jokes about his sexuality, then of course the "he started it" philosify would most definitely have a bearing on his case. If he opened up this can of worms, then he is responsible for it. He wouldn't be able to sue for "hurt feelings" if he participated in his own ridicule.

I live in a different country to you, dont call me ignorant because i dont know how US law works. Lionhead are a UK development studio.

I never assumed anything and said as much, the fact that you only copied certain parts of my replies says volumes about you. You totally changed the whole tone of my post by what you did. These gay pride parades aren't about the rights you have mentioned above. They have become a walking circus and you have a lot of nerve comparing them to the race marches, imho. I'm surprised you haven't been jumped all over on here for it.

Reread my post again, i quoted your post in its entirety i just split it up so i could reply to individual points. I cant change the tone of a complete post i only quoted what there was to be quoted, whatever the tone my post made it look like is the tone you took with your original post.

Yes i agree gay pride isnt so much as rights as getting gays "in your face" just to spread the word that there are different types of people in the world and they shouldnt be discriminated against just because they are different. I never said homosexuality was in the same vein as race issues as i already stated a few pages ago i dont compare the two. What i was saying is that gay prides are just as much LIKE the race marches which were about gaining acceptance and equality i never said they were the same, its just your intolerance that makes you see 'the gays' as the ones that are instigating everything.

All I'm saying is that we don't have all the information on this case and should wait to see what's really going on here before we jump to conclusions and make an argument either way. I fail to understand why you jump all over me when I'm staying neutral on the subject.

I agree we dont have all the information, you are the one that is jumping to conclusions by constantly claiming that he instigated it by mincing about and making jokes about his sexuality, he worked there for 11 years its only very recently the abuse has started so its safe to assume he wasnt the one that instigated anything.

Im not jumping all over you, this is a forum to discuss things i havent called you any names i have just been responding to whatever you have posted, and you are far from neutral on the subject you have a bias against homosexuals which is quite apparent.

This is another very annoying thing. You haven't lived through 100 years of sexism, just like I haven't perpetuated 100 years of it. Saying stuff like this is meant to inflame, and is totally useless bs. I'm part native, and I use no social programs whatsoever. I survive on my own because I believe no one should receive preferential treatment. Because my ancestors were duped out of land 100 years ago, I'm not going to say I deserve something now for that!

His ancestors arent the ones that are being discriminated against and abused, he is the one that is being abused because he is gay and purely only for that fact, hes doesnt think he deserves the money because he is gay, he thinks he deserves the money because hes had months and months of abuse and when he took the issue higher in the chain of command they blatently ignored him and fobbed him off.

I think discrimination comes from the fact that a lot of people think they deserve preferential treatment because they are gay, of a different race etc. and this breeds resentment from the rest of the population. There are no "straight pride" parades, why should there be a "gay pride." What you do in the privacy of your own bedroom is your own business, but when you open the floor by bragging (probably not the right word, but I'm tired) about your sexual escapades, you open the door to criticism about your lifestyle as well. EVERYONE should be treated EQUAL, it shouldn't matter if you're gay, straight, black, white, up, down, liberal, conservative, etc. NO ONE deserves special treatment because of these.

We don't know how this got started. Maybe this fellow started with small jokes about his sexuality which led to more by his coworkers. While it would still be unacceptable, the "he started it" philosophy (I know I spelled it wrong) will come into play and would affect his case.

I corrected the spelling for you - the perk of having a browser with a spell checker lol

Yes, you are right. I have been in situations with gay guys who can't wait to tell you that they're gay - its almost as though if they don't tell you that they might just explode. Its almost as though every second word that comes out is announcing that they're gay; its frigging annoying especially when I chat to friends and colleagues who go, "if I hadn't met you I would have swore all gay guys were like him".

There is also a fine line between someone who is a little feminine (which isn't something he chooses) and those who are loud and obnoxious. I am a bit feminine at times but I don't do cart wheels around the office and making lots of noise to draw attention to myself. The attack isn't on being feminine, isn't on being gay but on being an attention seeking tosser.

I am so glad that you are so balanced about the way you go about your life. If everyone adopted your way things would be so much better.

I wish - every time I hear a loud shrilling voice I just want to find a corner and die. Shrilling loud queens are as bad as alpha males who go around like feral dogs marking their territory.

I live in a different country to you, dont call me ignorant because i dont know how US law works. Lionhead are a UK development studio.

Reread my post again, i quoted your post in its entirety i just split it up so i could reply to individual points. I cant change the tone of a complete post i only quoted what there was to be quoted, whatever the tone my post made it look like is the tone you took with your original post.

Yes i agree gay pride isnt so much as rights as getting gays "in your face" just to spread the word that there are different types of people in the world and they shouldnt be discriminated against just because they are different. I never said homosexuality was in the same vein as race issues as i already stated a few pages ago i dont compare the two. What i was saying is that gay prides are just as much LIKE the race marches which were about gaining acceptance and equality i never said they were the same, its just your intolerance that makes you see 'the gays' as the ones that are instigating everything.

I agree we dont have all the information, you are the one that is jumping to conclusions by constantly claiming that he instigated it by mincing about and making jokes about his sexuality, he worked there for 11 years its only very recently the abuse has started so its safe to assume he wasnt the one that instigated anything.

Im not jumping all over you, this is a forum to discuss things i havent called you any names i have just been responding to whatever you have posted, and you are far from neutral on the subject you have a bias against homosexuals which is quite apparent.

His ancestors arent the ones that are being discriminated against and abused, he is the one that is being abused because he is gay and purely only for that fact, hes doesnt think he deserves the money because he is gay, he thinks he deserves the money because hes had months and months of abuse and when he took the issue higher in the chain of command they blatently ignored him and fobbed him off.

Look, you sir, are very ignorant in the ways the laws work in any country. Who said anything about me being from the US, you have no idea where I'm from. Have you ever heard of the word "IF", I use it quite often. I most definitely not biased against homosexuals, I'm simply trying to explore all sides. You should never ASSUME anything, it makes an ASS out of U and ME. You tend to assume quite a bit and it skews your views.

You have not copied my post in its entirety, simply cut and pasted certain sections of it to change the overall tone of it to make me appear biased, when that couldn't be farther from the truth. The gay pride pararades are NOTHING like the race marches as they do not strive for the same goal in any way shape or form.

You then go on to cut and paste a post of mine that was in response to someone else entirely and try to make it look incorporated in my response to your reply which, was still on topic but nothing to do with what I was saying to you. We don't know anything about the "abuse" he suffered. If you believe everything everyone says and jump in with both feet, you sir are in great trouble. All I said was that it seems like there is more to this story. Too many things don't add up here for this to be all there is.

Also, how do you know that is why he got let go? That's what he said, but could it not have been his performance? You are assuming things you can't possibly know simply because you're taking what he says at face value. You have no way of knowing what kind of abuse he was under nor the duration. You have no idea of this guys history both employment and personal. You have no idea, as neither do I, anything about this man, his past, or his character yet you are quick to jump on the bandwagon to support him solely on the fact that he says he is gay. Do we even know this for sure? All these are questions I asked myself when I read the article, there simply is NOT enough information to make a valid argument for either side!

It is very easy to accuse a company or another person of this kind of discrimination because of people like you sir, who will jump on the bandwagon and fight tooth and nail without knowing one thing about the person or the story behind it. In fact you have done it to me without knowing a thing about me, just seeing what you want to see. I never once said this man deserved what he got, nor that what he claimed never happened. All I did was question it and you jumped on me and called my lifestyle and beliefs into question without knowing the first thing about me.

Edited by rednekcowboy

Look, you sir,

Stop talking down to me like im an idiot its getting very irritating

are very ignorant in the ways the laws work in any country. Who said anything about me being from the US, you have no idea where I'm from. Have you ever heard of the word "IF", I use it quite often. I most definitely not biased against homosexuals, I'm simply trying to explore all sides. You should never ASSUME anything, it makes an ASS out of U and ME. You tend to assume quite a bit and it skews your views.

Im not ignorant of how the law works you are the only person assuming that the guy is a mincing queen, even if he was a mincing queen it wouldnt affect a sexual discrimination/abuse case against him he has done nothing wrong, wether you think being a mincing queen is right or wrong.

You have not copied my post in its entirety, simply cut and pasted certain sections of it to change the overall tone of it to make me appear biased, when that couldn't be farther from the truth. The gay pride pararades are NOTHING like the race marches as they do not strive for the same goal in any way shape or form.

Its incredibly childish of me doing this but i dont like being called a liar and my points being discredited just because you cant read.

post-253434-1237981104_thumb.jpg

Look at the picture its a word for word copy and paste quote split into sections.

As for Gay Pride not being like race marches.:

LGBT pride or gay pride refers to the principle that lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) people should be proud of their sexual orientation and gender identity. The movement has three main premises: that people should be proud of their sexual orientation and gender identity, that diversity is a gift, and that sexual orientation and gender identity are inherent and cannot be intentionally altered.[1] The use of the abbreviated gay pride and pride have since become mainstream and shorthand expressions inclusive of all individuals in various LGBT communities.

The word pride is used in this case an antonym for shame, which has been used to control and oppress LGBT persons throughout history. Pride in this sense is an affirmation of ones self and the community as a whole. The modern "pride" movement began after the "Stonewall riots" of the late 1960s. Instead of backing down to unconstitutional raids by New York Police, gay men in local bars fought back. While it was a violent situation it also gave the underground community the first sense of communal pride in a very well publicized incident. From the yearly parade that commemorated the anniversary of the Stonewall riots began a national grassroots movement. Today many countries around the world celebrate LGBT pride. The pride movement has furthered the cause of gay rights by lobbying politicians, registering voters and increasing vivibility to educate on issues important to LGBT communities. LGBT pride advocates work for equal "rights and benefits" for LGBT people.[2][3][4]

Please get a clue. Race marches were for the exact same reasons.

You then go on to cut and paste a post of mine that was in response to someone else entirely and try to make it look incorporated in my response to your reply which, was still on topic but nothing to do with what I was saying to you. We don't know anything about the "abuse" he suffered. If you believe everything everyone says and jump in with both feet, you sir are in great trouble. All I said was that it seems like there is more to this story. Too many things don't add up here for this to be all there is.

Nothing i quoted was misconstrued in any way, it wasnt taken out of context, its how you feel on the situation just because it made you look bad dont blame me i didnt type your original post.

What doesnt add up, he worked for 11 years, the abuse started a year ago, for whatever reason whatever he did doesnt warrant being abused, he went to HR and told them, they fobbed him off by saying they would send out a memo, cue a few months later, no memo was sent out, he is now off work with depression because of the abuse he suffered and the inability of his employers to do jack sheet about it.

Well my take on this is, we don't really know what happened. I mean it's Microsoft's right to employee who they wish, if they don't want to employee gays/lesbians then I respect that. I am against homosexuality, I am tolerant of it, but against it.

The title is misleading though, I mean Microsoft themselves didn't do the gay bashing, other employee's of the company did, and if they did, then they need to be fired for doing so, just like anyone who would use racist remarks against someone. End of story.

Well my take on this is, we don't really know what happened. I mean it's Microsoft's right to employee who they wish, if they don't want to employee gays/lesbians then I respect that. I am against homosexuality, I am tolerant of it, but against it.

I dont know how it is in the US but Lionhead is a UK company and if they fired or didnt hire someone because they were gay the law would come down so fast on them and they would be sued.

The title is misleading though, I mean Microsoft themselves didn't do the gay bashing, other employee's of the company did, and if they did, then they need to be fired for doing so, just like anyone who would use racist remarks against someone. End of story.

Yeah shame its a misleading title, but Microsoft own Lionhead and the guy already went higher in the chain of command at Lionhead and nothing was done about it.

LGBT pride or gay pride refers to the principle that lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) people should be proud of their sexual orientation and gender identity. The movement has three main premises: that people should be proud of their sexual orientation and gender identity, that diversity is a gift, and that sexual orientation and gender identity are inherent and cannot be intentionally altered.[1] The use of the abbreviated gay pride and pride have since become mainstream and shorthand expressions inclusive of all individuals in various LGBT communities.

The word pride is used in this case an antonym for shame, which has been used to control and oppress LGBT persons throughout history. Pride in this sense is an affirmation of ones self and the community as a whole. The modern "pride" movement began after the "Stonewall riots" of the late 1960s. Instead of backing down to unconstitutional raids by New York Police, gay men in local bars fought back. While it was a violent situation it also gave the underground community the first sense of communal pride in a very well publicized incident. From the yearly parade that commemorated the anniversary of the Stonewall riots began a national grassroots movement. Today many countries around the world celebrate LGBT pride. The pride movement has furthered the cause of gay rights by lobbying politicians, registering voters and increasing vivibility to educate on issues important to LGBT communities. LGBT pride advocates work for equal "rights and benefits" for LGBT people.[2][3][4]

This is the goal of the parade, but you have to agree that it does not do that!! While this may make it seem like the race marches on paper, the reality can't be farther from the truth.

What doesnt add up, he worked for 11 years, the abuse started a year ago, for whatever reason whatever he did doesnt warrant being abused, he went to HR and told them, they fobbed him off by saying they would send out a memo, cue a few months later, no memo was sent out, he is now off work with depression because of the abuse he suffered and the inability of his employers to do jack sheet about it.

You don't know this, this is what HE HAS SAID, but there has been no proof of this. This story is incomplete. There are no records to back up his claims. We don't know what type of character he has, nor what his performance was like at work. About his work, if he started off making jokes about his own sexuality, he opened himself up to that discrimination. If, and notice I'm saying if here, this is the case, then he has no case for discrimination. I never once said this is what happened.

I will stop talking down to you, when you stop doing the same to me. I've never said this guy is one way or another or acted one way or another, however, you sir, have done that about his coworkers without thinking twice about it. It is you that is the one who is biased here and it's clouding your judgement.

You

?. . if someone sent memos/emails round ridiculing a black person in the office they would be instantly dismissed . .

Sounds racist to me.

What would happen if they put out an e-mail ridiculing a white, yellow, or red person?

What would happen if someone circulated en e-mail ridiculing someone for being a heterosexual?

What if they ridiculed someone for being male or for being female?

I will stop talking down to you, when you stop doing the same to me. I've never said this guy is one way or another or acted one way or another, however, you sir, have done that about his coworkers without thinking twice about it. It is you that is the one who is biased here and it's clouding your judgement.

I wasnt talking down to anyone i was just posting my responses to the things you typed.

Of course i have done it about his coworkers, the guy didnt send the emails to himself did he....... you dont send out emails with titles such as "I'm Jim and I'm Gay" and "Me and my Favourite Men" to anyone and they nicknamed him F a g Boy Jim, you dont do that out of affection for someone you do it because you think it is funny to discriminate and send abuse to someone just because he is gay.

Sounds racist to me.

What would happen if they put out an e-mail ridiculing a white, yellow, or red person?

What would happen if someone circulated en e-mail ridiculing someone for being a heterosexual?

What if they ridiculed someone for being male or for being female?

How is that racist, instead of putting black white yellow red green blue orange person i just put black person and i would expect the same response no matter what race a person is it was just a poor choice of words on my part and i apologise for any offence caused.

If someone circulated an email ridiculing someone for being heterosexual i expect that they should get a warning or be instantly dismissed for gross misconduct if it carried on you cant have one rule for one and one for another.

As for ridiculing someone for being male or female i already adressed this its called sexual discrimination and is grounds for instant dismissal from your job in the UK.

you know, that just doesn't make sense though.. I mean come on, who would be STUPID enough to send an EMAIL with that kinda subject line or in the body, when you KNOW they can just forward it to a Manager/HR? I mean something just doesn't add up here.

I agree we dont have the whole story, but if he went to HR im sure he would have had proof of the emails sent out or HR wouldnt agree to send a memo out about diversity. He is suing them you dont sue someone without proof.

?. . I'm just being honest . .?

But the ones that act like their life is a gay rights parade get obnoxious after awhile.

Thank Christ there are still some honest human beings who are not afraid to have some common sense, and are not so pathetic that they have to always try and appear politically correct.

Thank Christ there are still some honest human beings who are not afraid to have some common sense, and are not so pathetic that they have to always try and appear politically correct.

What does being openly gay and not acting straight in fear of being discriminated against or beat up have to do with this guys case, anyone should be able to live without being pushed into depression.

Cant be bothered discussing this anymore, half of you people are the reason there are so many openly gay people who do go on gay pride marches.