? Kit: $899 (with 18-55 mm IS lens)

List price (EU)

? Body only: ?799

? Kit: ?899 (with 18-55 mm IS lens)

? Kit: ?1299 (with 18-200 mm IS lens)

List price (UK)

? Body only: ?869.99

? Kit: ?969.99 (with 18-55 mm IS lens)

? Kit: ?1399.99 (with 18-200 mm IS lens)

Bear in mind these are list prices, and don't reflect street or online retail prices.

this does mean XSi is soon going to be discontinued and we will see a price drop down to 450$ range

Drop video recording and add automatic geotagging dammit!

That's the problem with these kind of side features. I can't say I'm hugely fussed over video recording, but equally, I couldn't give a crap about automatic geotagging. They're not going to please everyone, so I think it's best to just bear in mind that these ARE side features that really shouldn't make or break a purchase decision.

That's the problem with these kind of side features. I can't say I'm hugely fussed over video recording, but equally, I couldn't give a crap about automatic geotagging. They're not going to please everyone, so I think it's best to just bear in mind that these ARE side features that really shouldn't make or break a purchase decision.

Geotagging though, for anyone who organizes photos, would be a lot more useful than video recording at 20fps. I'd consider geotagging more of a feature of the camera and video recording a side feature. To me a side feature would be something you get a taste of, but would be required to buy a completely different device for a full set of capabilities (i.e. a camcorder).

I agree, geotagging, while not really a necessity would be more useful to me than video recording.

That said, I wish they would focus on technologies that helped take better quality images, rather then little side technologies. Better and higher ISOs, faster or more reliable equipment, etc... But I guess that isn't what sells really new cameras.

I agree, geotagging, while not really a necessity would be more useful to me than video recording.

That said, I wish they would focus on technologies that helped take better quality images, rather then little side technologies. Better and higher ISOs, faster or more reliable equipment, etc... But I guess that isn't what sells really new cameras.

The entry level market and the professional market are polar opposites of each other.

TBH its a small upgrade from 400/450D with crappy video bolted on ? if you want the 1080p video then usually you know what your talking about, Go for 5D MKii and get proper video/camera :) :p

TBH its a small upgrade from 400/450D with crappy video bolted on ? if you want the 1080p video then usually you know what your talking about, Go for 5D MKii and get proper video/camera :) :p

but there is a huge price difference between those models. i am sure that people buy 5d definately not for video capabilities..and those who do are silly!

The entry level market and the professional market are polar opposites of each other.

I have numerous people ask me "Why doesn't your LCD show preview while you shoot?" or "Why can't you shoot video with this thing?" when they see my XTi. :/

I try and avoid LCD preview but sometimes I do feel the need for it. :p

I have numerous people ask me "Why doesn't your LCD show preview while you shoot?" or "Why can't you shoot video with this thing?" when they see my XTi. :/

I try and avoid LCD preview but sometimes I do feel the need for it. :p

Nothing ###### me off more then when I got my D200 and had everyone in my office ask if it had Live View and then be all disappointed when I said no. As if Live View was the be all end all of features that all cameras must now be judged by. It's an SLR!

So from now on, when people ask me if my cameras has Live View I just say "Yes, it's called a viewfinder."

A viewfinder is 100000000000000000000000000x better than live view will ever be.

People's ignorance to photography can be very annoying. Ever show somebody a good shot you took and they go "whoa, you must have a nice camera!" I do, but the camera didn't take this by itself...

A viewfinder is 100000000000000000000000000x better than live view will ever be.

People's ignorance to photography can be very annoying. Ever show somebody a good shot you took and they go "whoa, you must have a nice camera!" I do, but the camera didn't take this by itself...

Yeah, I hear you on the second one. Yeah, I have a nice camera, but I do like to think that a good photo is just in the littlest way down to me too.

I know, but the craze is to have all these electronic viewfinders and crap like that.

Yeah that comment is frustrating as well. A couple of times I've tried to explain it to people by saying "Would you go to museum and look at a painting and say 'wow, that's a great painting, I bet he had some nice paint!'"

That said, photographers do spend a lot of time talking about and worrying about their equipment. Probably far more than other artists.

Nice prosumer camera. I know a lot of people who take there hobby very very seriously and these people don't have the money for professional cameras but they do want high quality photos that only a professional can provide. I understand canon wanting to sell lots of expensive cameras and they feel they have to differentiate between Prosumer and Professional but it's not really what users are looking for.

What they need to do is release a camera that pulls back on the Flash (See what I did there?) and focuses (I'm hot tonight!) on the Basic picture taking. Create a Prosumer camera at a reasonable price that takes Pictures as good as the very high end and leave out all the Video recording and Geo Tagging and other such fluff. I guarantee such a camera would sell well to the people who really do love photography and do it as a hobby in their leisure. And hey it'll sell more Cameras and not encroach on the High End.

Just my Opinion of course. I'm personally quite happy with my old Pentax K10D :D

It seems to be a lighter version of the 50D packed into the body of a 450D. I think I might buy this when I return to the world of photography. :)

It seems to be a lighter version of the 50D packed into the body of a 450D. I think I might buy this when I return to the world of photography. :)

Why don't you just buy it now?

Why don't you just buy it now?

it's not available ye:p:p

I wonder if they're trying to compete with the D40/D60 or the D90 from Nikon? It seems to be in between both the D60 and the D90?

i think its more oriented to compete with d90...since canon did not have a similar cam at that price/feature range.

as for d60...450d was its competitor, no?

Nice prosumer camera. I know a lot of people who take there hobby very very seriously and these people don't have the money for professional cameras but they do want high quality photos that only a professional can provide. I understand canon wanting to sell lots of expensive cameras and they feel they have to differentiate between Prosumer and Professional but it's not really what users are looking for.

What they need to do is release a camera that pulls back on the Flash (See what I did there?) and focuses (I'm hot tonight!) on the Basic picture taking. Create a Prosumer camera at a reasonable price that takes Pictures as good as the very high end and leave out all the Video recording and Geo Tagging and other such fluff. I guarantee such a camera would sell well to the people who really do love photography and do it as a hobby in their leisure. And hey it'll sell more Cameras and not encroach on the High End.

Just my Opinion of course. I'm personally quite happy with my old Pentax K10D :D

Actually, just to clarify a point - what's impressive about this device is that's not a prosumer camera...it's a consumer camera. Prosumer line is the xxD with the professional lines being the 1D(s)/5D.