iMac's worth the money

Considering you're posting this in the Apple section, guess what opinion you'll be getting.

That being said, it would be easier to determine if you'd list some of your intended uses you'll have for this system.

- If you're looking for moving to OS X, you don't really have an option

- If Dell fits your needs, then save some money, buy the dell.

You wil hear lot of posts saying that a "comparable" Dell will cost the same. The point is, do you really need a Wi-Fi, BT etc in a desktop? You don't need a direct comparison.

Just chalk down what you need/want. Decide accordingly.

Depends if your looking at the highend imac then maybe not. You can get a dell xps studio with an i7 920 6 gigs ram 4850 gpu,and 640gig hdd for $1600. Plus 24 inch lcd panel included

So it all depends on if your willing to pay more for osx.

Go with the Dell. They are much cheaper and if the system you buy has an Intel processor (which most do), Mac OS X can be installed on it (assuming it has SS2, SS3, and a couple other minor specs).

I personally always like to buy my computers with the minimal hd and ram and a bottom of the line video card and just upgrade those myself. end up saving a lot of money.... but you can't do that with imacs soo.... that's the biggest turn off. it's like buying a laptop, not much room for upgrades.

on the other hand the imac looks very nice and the moment a good performing PC is introduced that was as wireless and compact as the imac, i would definitely but one.

It would be easier to answer that question if we knew what you planned on doing with the computer.

If you would love a mac, then buy it if you can afford it. If not the I think the answer is clear....

It would be easier to answer that question if we knew what you planned on doing with the computer.

If you would love a mac, then buy it if you can afford it. If not the I think the answer is clear....

Why must that always get tossed in there? To imply that the Apple is more expensive, and that the buyer is a cheapskate if he 'settles' for a lowly Dell?

Why must that always get tossed in there? To imply that the Apple is more expensive, and that the buyer is a cheapskate if he 'settles' for a lowly Dell?

You are the one mentioning the "cheapskate" crap. Apple is rather expensive when compared to other manufacturers. It really depends on the computers compared. iMacs are sold at an all time low of $1149 $1199 which is far more expensive than the average new Dells.

What sort of response do you expect in the Apple forum?
- If you're looking for moving to OS X, you don't really have an option

- If Dell fits your needs, then save some money, buy the dell.

You wil hear lot of posts saying that a "comparable" Dell will cost the same. The point is, do you really need a Wi-Fi, BT etc in a desktop? You don't need a direct comparison.

Just chalk down what you need/want. Decide accordingly.

Depends if your looking at the highend imac then maybe not. You can get a dell xps studio with an i7 920 6 gigs ram 4850 gpu,and 640gig hdd for $1600. Plus 24 inch lcd panel included

So it all depends on if your willing to pay more for osx.

Go with the Dell. They are much cheaper and if the system you buy has an Intel processor (which most do), Mac OS X can be installed on it (assuming it has SS2, SS3, and a couple other minor specs).

Helpful responses maybe? Thought so ;)

Reality time im afraid

• Apple doesn’t make Processors.
  • Apple doesn’t make Motherboards.
  • Apple doesn’t make Graphics Cards.
  • Apple doesn’t make RAM.
  • Apple doesn’t make Hard Disks.
  • Apple doesn’t make PSU’s.

Let’s summarise the basic parts of any computer

• Processor
  • Motherboard
  • Graphics Card
  • RAM
  • Hard Disks
  • PSU's

An "IMac" is nothing more than an overpriced MicroATX system, and none of the internal components have been produced by Apple. Is it worth the money? It’s nothing special my advice is to shop around for other "All in One PC's" but if you cont find anything that suits your needs go for it.

Edited by bob21

GEEZ! All the OP wanted to do was find out if it was worth it or not. Not a flaming time and fanboyism time. Let's get real for a minute:

Apple does not make the hardware, but does Dell? No. So, let's put that aside.

iMac is good if you want an all in one computer which is capable of running Windows in boot camp, blue tooth, built in wireless, built in web cam and microphone with a slim form factor.

The PC is good if you want the option for upgrading your hardware with ease. Just look at all the threads of people trying to upgrade their mac's. Truth be told, it is a chore, but also a labor of love. If you are careful and do it right, you can upgrade the hard drive and perhaps more. Not too many people tend to upgrade the other stuff because sadly, it is proprietary.

I am an iMac User, Windows User and Linux User, so you are not going to get a typical response from me like other people will give you, just real answers with real life experience.

I am asking myself a very similar question, I sold my macbook pro to buy a 24" iMac but now I'm wondering if it's worth it. My current PC is about 1.5 yrs old and was built with OSx86 in mind so it works pretty good on it, so the only advantage would be a cleaner desk (a big plus) and a bigger screen (i have a dual 22" setup right now)

If you buy an iMac bear in mind the fact that their upgradability options are a little more limited compared to the average PC, other than that if you want an educated answer, a little bit of info about what you intend to use the machine for would help.

Also bear in mind that for ?950 you could build one hell of a PC if you where inclined to do it yourself. My own PC is worth a total of about ?800, and it includes a Q6600, 4 GB of memory, liquid cooling, 5.1 surround and a nice Widescreen LCD.

If you really need to go with OSX, the mac is your best option, otherwise please provide a bit of info about your intended usage.

I am asking myself a very similar question, I sold my macbook pro to buy a 24" iMac but now I'm wondering if it's worth it. My current PC is about 1.5 yrs old and was built with OSx86 in mind so it works pretty good on it, so the only advantage would be a cleaner desk (a big plus) and a bigger screen (i have a dual 22" setup right now)

Honestly I think the change was not the best one. The thing I respect the most among the Apple choices are their laptops. Those things give you the best balance between mobility and power. My early 2008 MacBook Pro still gets the job done nicely in every tasks.

Reality time im afraid

• Apple doesn?t make Processors.
  • Apple doesn?t make Motherboards.
  • Apple doesn?t make Graphics Cards.
  • Apple doesn?t make RAM.
  • Apple doesn?t make Hard Disks.
  • Apple doesn?t make PSU?s.

Let?s summarise the basic parts of any computer

• Processor
  • Motherboard
  • Graphics Card
  • RAM
  • Hard Disks
  • PSU's

An "IMac" is nothing more than an overpriced MicroATX system, and none of the internal components have been produced by Apple. Is it worth the money? It?s nothing special my advice is to shop around for other "All in One PC's" but if you cont find anything that suits your needs go for it.[/quo:blink:/>

:blink:

so like someone else said, which computer maker actually makes each part on their own?

so like someone else said, which computer maker actually makes each part on their own?

No one does. But Im sure the fanboys will not let the facts get into their pat of flaming.

Want to make the move for a new pc ... now i would love a mac. but at ?950 is it really worth all that ?

Its mac or dell. :unsure::

Depends on why you are looking at a Mac and what you will use your PC for.

You need to list the things you want from a PC and as you are doubtful, research the market in case there are other options that would suit you. Where software is concerned, make sure that for everything you use on your current set up there is an OS X alternative/port (unless you want to use Bootcamp of course).

What it will probably come down to is how much you want OS X and that particular Mac, in which case, try and get to an Apple store and have a closer look.

Considering you're posting this in the Apple section, guess what opinion you'll be getting.

That being said, it would be easier to determine if you'd list some of your intended uses you'll have for this system.

What sort of response do you expect in the Apple forum?

Given that some apparent trolls found their way in here it's clearly not an exclusive-Apple-fanboy-land.

It's a fact that Apple Macs can be more expensive. It follows that some people will not be able to afford them or will choose not to spend that much. I fail to see why that upsets you. If you look down on people who have a limited budget the problem is yours. I didn't see anyone else behaving like that.

None but they dont charge 200$ for 4gb of ram , Thats why i thought it was importent to mention . In no was it intended to be a flame.

None but they dont charge 200$ for 4gb of ram , Thats why i thought it was importent to mention . In no was it intended to be a flame.

Nothing stops you from getting the normal RAM configuration and getting your own elsewhere.

Indeed for 40 bucks thats an apple tax of $160 for bog standerd off the shelf RAM But its not just RAM that apple overcharges for , Its accross the board hence why my statement saying that these are just bog standard off the shelf pc components was relevent and important .

Clicky

The simple question is: do you want to run a supported copy of Mac OS X? if yes, then purchase an iMac, if no then purchase the Dell.

The entry point for an Apple system is several hundred dollars more than the price point for HP/Dell/etc.

It makes a difference for a lot of people. In fact, my wife and I were looking to replace her dead desktop less than a year ago. She was trying to decide between an Apple and a Dell. The Dell won, due to coloring, I think. ;)

We saved a few bucks. But now she is very frustrated with the computer, as it is no longer working right, and I have Linux on there as dual boot right now, but there is one last java-related issue that I cannot quite resolve. I am looking at the low-end Macbook right now as a surprise Easter present for her. It will be our first ever Mac purchase (if I go ahead with it, like I am pretty sure I will).

Sure, this is just anecdotal evidence. Just as is my co-worker who has an old Apple that just keeps chugging like it was new (and has been so impressed, he bought his wife a new Apple). Just as there is anecdotal evidence the other way, of people with Apple issues and happy with their Compaq.

But being on this side of the "RDF", as it is called in a derogatory way, I am willing to cross over and see for myself.

Will it be worth it? Only time will tell. But this side has had its share of issues to contend with, too.