iMac's worth the money

I'm going to try to skirt around this entire debate; it certainly seems to be getting heated.

I do want to say to the OP, though: I bought my 24" iMac almost a year ago, and my new Macbook a couple of months ago. Up until the iMac, I was solely a windows user. I don't regret a thing. That being said, I am still a windows and a linux user (the boyfriend hasn't, and won't, make the switch), and I still consider them great OS's, and Dells great machines. My previous Dell Inspiron was fantastic, especially for the lower price, and I still miss it (and some of the features it had that my iMac/Macbook don't offer), sometimes.

However, I do prefer my Macs (and OSX), over the others. I find them far more comfortable to work on, as a graphic designer. For me, moving from a PC to a Mac is like a breath of fresh air. That isn't to say that you'll have the same experience, and shopping around is important for you. You might consider stopping into an Apple store, or a Best Buy to play around on the iMac for a bit--see how it feels.

There is no saying one is better than the other, though many will try (and they can be very convincing, sometimes, as you can see here). They are different machines, different OS's. Pay more attention to the facts, than these (mostly strong) opinions. What it boils down to in the long run is what works best for you. If you try to base your decision on the opinions you see here or anywhere else in the world, you're going to end up pulling your hair out, and possibly making a huge mistake for yourself.

Good luck in your hunt!

-Emily

The op didnt state which mac they were looking at . So like i keep stating it all comes out to do you think $500 -1000 over a windows pc is worth it just for osx . Yes it can be as much as $1000 more. Go price them yourself.

The op didnt state which mac they were looking at . So like i keep stating it all comes out to do you think $500 -1000 over a windows pc is worth it just for osx . Yes it can be as much as $1000 more. Go price them yourself.

You're silly. Look at the title of the thread. :cool:

I'm going to try to skirt around this entire debate; it certainly seems to be getting heated.

I do want to say to the OP, though: I bought my 24" iMac almost a year ago, and my new Macbook a couple of months ago. Up until the iMac, I was solely a windows user. I don't regret a thing. That being said, I am still a windows and a linux user (the boyfriend hasn't, and won't, make the switch), and I still consider them great OS's, and Dells great machines. My previous Dell Inspiron was fantastic, especially for the lower price, and I still miss it (and some of the features it had that my iMac/Macbook don't offer), sometimes.

However, I do prefer my Macs (and OSX), over the others. I find them far more comfortable to work on, as a graphic designer. For me, moving from a PC to a Mac is like a breath of fresh air. That isn't to say that you'll have the same experience, and shopping around is important for you. You might consider stopping into an Apple store, or a Best Buy to play around on the iMac for a bit--see how it feels.

There is no saying one is better than the other, though many will try (and they can be very convincing, sometimes, as you can see here). They are different machines, different OS's. Pay more attention to the facts, than these (mostly strong) opinions. What it boils down to in the long run is what works best for you. If you try to base your decision on the opinions you see here or anywhere else in the world, you're going to end up pulling your hair out, and possibly making a huge mistake for yourself.

Good luck in your hunt!

-Emily

That's a fair point, Macs are generally regarded to be better for designers, but in all fairness to the OP, it would have been helpful if he had have stated his usage intentions, then he would probably have gotten a definate answer by now.

Respect though, you are amongst the more open minded of Apple users and I applaud you for it :)

How is life there in the RDF? Losing touch with reality yet?

Maybe not, but that doesn't change the fact that if someone wants a gaming machine that a mac is largely useless to them, unless they pay the rediculous price premium for a mac pro

Precisely, so why do you need to keep trolling people who are suggesting that non-apple computers may be better suited to some people's personal circumstances?

So you feel the need to troll through the Mac section of the forum, stalking and abusing me. Do you see me go into the Windows part and trash Windows users?

Grow some maturity mate - you need some big time.

So you feel the need to troll through the Mac section of the forum, stalking and abusing me. Do you see me go into the Windows part and trash Windows users?

Grow some maturity mate - you need some big time.

You sit there calling me childish, yet you make comments about "hardware fetishes"... How rich

Also FYI I don't troll anyone, unlike you I try to back up my posts with factual data rather than just making posts full of derisive drivel. I don't give any reasonable Apple users a hard time (Look at Chicane-UK and the other person in this thread that I complemented for being fair minded). You on the other hand are just the classic archetypal apple-troll that goes around on anti-microsoft rants at every opportunity.

I post in threads that I feel warrant it, I don't stalk anyone. If you don't like it, you know where the proverbial door is :)

I am looking at the low-end Macbook right now as a surprise Easter present for her. It will be our first ever Mac purchase (if I go ahead with it, like I am pretty sure I will).

Will it be worth it? Only time will tell. But this side has had its share of issues to contend with, too.

For the record, we went in to purchase one of the plastic low-end Macbooks, but the store had a $500 off special on the 24" iMac, and she fell in love with it.

She is very happy (on her way home, she said that she has never been "excited" about getting a computer before). The price was good (everyone says "Apple needs to drop $500 of their prices" anyhow), and I believe she will still be happy with her purchase after a year - which is something she has not ever been with a computer purchase before.

As a side note, the salesperson in there never once mentioned boot camp, or were there any signs regarding running Windows or such. I thought they would have mentioned that as a crutch for someone coming into Apple from the world of Microsoft. Just an observation.

EDIT: Her complaint: the mouse. Looks nice, but she likes her old one better. Plugged the wireless dongle from her old mouse into the back of the iMac, and she is happy once again.

Edited by markjensen

For the record, we went in to purchase one of the plastic low-end Macbooks, but the store had a $500 off special on the 24" iMac, and she fell in love with it.

She is very happy (on her way home, she said that she has never been "excited" about getting a computer before). The price was good (everyone says "Apple needs to drop $500 of their prices" anyhow), and I believe she will still be happy with her purchase after a year - which is something she has not ever been with a computer purchase before.

As a side note, the salesperson in there never once mentioned boot camp, or were there any signs regarding running Windows or such. I thought they would have mentioned that as a crutch for someone coming into Apple from the world of Microsoft. Just an observation.

EDIT: Her complaint: the mouse. Looks nice, but she likes her old one better. Plugged the wireless dongle from her old mouse into the back of the iMac, and she is happy once again.

I have to agree, the 24" iMac is one sexy machine and YES the mouse sucks :)

I have to agree, the 24" iMac is one sexy machine and YES the mouse sucks :)

Meh, the mouse is ok, what I find terrible is the scroll ball ontop; mine is clogged up and it is difficult to clean it; so now I can only scroll up :(

Apple needs to go back to the drawing board to come up with a scroll ball which is completely enclosed and can't get clogged up with gunk.

One of my proof-of-concept work was a client-server that would let you move the mouse cursor on your mac by dragging your hands across your iphone. I only ever got so far as basic x-y movement but it wouldn't have been hard to go further.

Maybe with "good" bluetooth in 3.0 I could drop the whole client/server bit, make it work with the accelerometer, and finish adding support for things like clicks/taps/drags/etc. Maybe build in a keyboard.

It's almost useless sitting at a desk where you probably have a real mouse or tablet but I thought it could have been useful for running presentations/demos in the board room or at home in front of your media centre pc. I find those tiny keyboard/mouse combos to be absolutely horrible (plus I think that the phone is much more suitable as a universal remote)

It'd be nice if Apple adopted something similar as a standard feature. VNC is way overkill, I just want to send key stores and mouse movements/clicks. Think something more like the way synergy just forwards keyboard/mouse movements to the appropriate computer.

^^^ Using track-pad technology?

Might be interesting.

True, something like Creative plater with the touch based slider would be cool.