What the Wii would look like in HD

There's a new hack to make games render in widescreen

Before, stretched

ndogt4.jpg

Now

6du1hj.jpg

More tease of what a Wii in HD would actually look like though.... damn standard definition Nintendo :angry:

71k940.jpg

True, but my comment was pretty much a generalisation for the overall look of the textures too. Just look at the grass for instance. It's pretty much a blobby/blurred mess.

i do feel Nintendo could release a new FW to the Wii and enable HD output for the menus and stuff and some sort of GPU based upscaling for current games and then allow Developers to decide if they want HD output native in a game. if HV software can make a game like the Conduit and its engine that runs ir pull off very pixle shader driven effects on the Wii then we sure can get HD output

It's not a matter of the FW supporting it, it's the limitations of the hardware itself.

The original Xbox can't even stream 720p video never mind render it. The Wii is barely more powerful than it (if at all, depending who you are more inclined to believe).

i do feel Nintendo could release a new FW to the Wii and enable HD output for the menus and stuff and some sort of GPU based upscaling for current games and then allow Developers to decide if they want HD output native in a game. if HV software can make a game like the Conduit and its engine that runs ir pull off very pixle shader driven effects on the Wii then we sure can get HD output

Not happening. Based upon the specs handed out to us, the framebuffer literally couldn't fit 1280x720 pixels. I mean, could it render in 720p, if the framebuffer was larger? If it was a game like Ocarina of Time, or maybe even Wind Waker, then maybe. But, you'd probably see a drop in visuals because of the higher resolution.

It's not a matter of the FW supporting it, it's the limitations of the hardware itself.

The original Xbox can't even stream 720p video never mind render it. The Wii is barely more powerful than it (if at all, depending who you are more inclined to believe).

yes the Original Xbox had 720P and 1080i output as it had the Hi-def pack cable and some games supported 720P and 1080i

here is some examples of Xbox games supporting 1080i and 720P output

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/s/scarfacexbox/ 720P

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/e/enterthematrix/ 1080i

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/m/mxunleashed/details.page/ 1080i

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/m/mxvsatvunleashed/ 1080i

just a few games but it stands the xbox could natively output those resolutions so it also stands the Wii can do it as well since the Wii is around or a bit faster and better then the Xbox 1 hardware CPU and Ram wise

And none of those games were pushing boundaries, they were all muddy texture games. Technically 95% (estimate :p) of Xbox games were all in ED (480p). The rest you can upscale, but suffer from poor frame rate and crap textures.

Is it worth developing a game to render at 720p when it's going to look crap, just to fill your entire screen? No. The Xbox and the Wii are not capable of both. It's a hardware limitation.

And none of those games were pushing boundaries, they were all muddy texture games. Technically 95% (estimate :p) of Xbox games were all in ED (480p). The rest you can upscale, but suffer from poor frame rate and crap textures.

Is it worth developing a game to render at 720p when it's going to look crap, just to fill your entire screen? No. The Xbox and the Wii are not capable of both. It's a hardware limitation.

some games had good looking textures such as BLACK for an example but yes some had crap looking b ut not all were crap and could and did look good in HD even if it was just upscaled but then again the output shown on the boxes was from the Developers not MS saying oh the xbox will upscale the game in HD cause if that is all that happened then all games would have siad 720p mode or 1080i as an option on the back

anyways the Wii has a much more beefy CPU and more ram just slightly less features in the GPU but beyond that game developers like HV have been able to do things only thought an PS3/360 level graphics could do( Effects wise ) witch usually needed Pixel shaders to pull off so in the end the Wii could output HD .

in case ya forgot the specs of the Wii vs Xbox 1

Xbox :

CPU: 32-bit 733 MHz, Pentium III-based, custom Intel Coppermine-based processor

Shared memory subsystem

64 MB DDR SDRAM at 200 MHz; 6.4 GB/s

GPU and system chipset: 233 MHz "NV2A" ASIC. Co-developed by Microsoft and Nvidia.

A/V outputs: composite video, S-Video, component video, SCART, Digital Optical TOSLINK, and stereo RCA analog audio

Resolutions: 480i, 480p, 576i, 576p, 720p, 1080i

Wii:

CPU: PowerPC-based "Broadway" processor, made with a 90 nm SOI CMOS process, reportedly? clocked at 729 MHz[86]

GPU: ATI "Hollywood" GPU made with a 90 nm CMOS process,[87] reportedly? clocked at 243 MHz[86]

88 MB main memory (24 MB "internal" 1T-SRAM integrated into graphics package, 64 MB "external" GDDR3 SDRAM)[88]

3 MB embedded GPU texture memory and framebuffer.

Video:

480p (PAL/NTSC), 480i (NTSC) or 576i (PAL/SECAM), standard 4:3 and 16:9 anamorphic widescreen[92]

MultiAV multi-output port for component, composite, S-video,[93] RGB SCART[94] and VGA[95]

^ What he said.

@notuptome2004, I'm not saying it's impossible for either the Xbox or Wii to display 720+. I'm saying it's impossible for them to have the same high quality and 720p+ at the same time. There is a hardware limitation. Otherwise we'd already have games on the market to show us otherwise. Do we? No.

:o Holy cow, you need a decent system to get these kind of results.

You do but that not that extreme, the more processing power the better though.

Here is one i created back in June, the video doesnt really do the emulator justice... when not recording it averages 50-60fps most of the time.

System Specs:

Core2Duo E4500 @ 2.93Ghz

Geforce 8800GT 256MB

4gigs Ram

Vista x64

Dolphin SVN Build 3404

^ What he said.

@notuptome2004, I'm not saying it's impossible for either the Xbox or Wii to display 720+. I'm saying it's impossible for them to have the same high quality and 720p+ at the same time. There is a hardware limitation. Otherwise we'd already have games on the market to show us otherwise. Do we? No.

true it is possible if a Wii game like for example let say HighVoltage software took a future reversion of the conduit and made it output 720P it may lose some quality But a good example of something not losing quality is .

Polyphony digital and GT4 for the PS2 now While the PS2 did not natively support HD Res output PP was able to do internal output of 1080i while keeping the graphics quality they are known for and hek even enhancing the quality with 1080i output now if they can do it so can other developers for the Wii and do it without quality loss .

Quote from Firingsquad website on this from a review they did

We imported Gran Turismo 4 at the beginning of January from NCSX (where incidentally we?ve imported every other Gran Turismo game for the PS2). While our game was in transit, a startling rumor began to pop up on message boards: GT4 supported HDTV resolutions. No one believed the rumors at first ? Sony had never mentioned it before, and with only 4MB of eDRAM in the PlayStation 2, the framebuffer would need at least 3MB, leaving no room for textures. Polyphony Digital would have to be using some magic streaming voodoo technology to copy data into memory and delete it as soon as it was used to make room for the next bit of data.

Well, the rumor is true, GT4 will run at HDTV 1080i resolutions in single player mode (or LAN play) with a notable improvement in image quality. For once, the high resolution, anti-aliased images produced by Sony?s development PS2 systems is close to what the end user can really achieve.

t?s honest HDTV gaming. There?s no slowdown at 60 fps. With a regular non-high-definition TV, the graphics are still better than the images from Gran Turismo 3, although they continue to be similar. The pre-calculated lighting and textures look better, but the big difference is that there?s a superb flicker filter that removes a lot of the shimmer associated with PS2 games. Suffice it to say that GT4 on a HDTV looks closer to the photo mode shots than it does to images captured with a standard video capture card, and GT4 on a regular TV is still the best looking PS2 game to date and even looks like a great modern PC game

i would say that polyphony digital is an exception rather than the rule, not just with developers on Sony consoles but with all developers... i dunnoe but ive heard that the PS2's edram is faster than anything in the PS3, thats why they had problems emulating the PS2 on the PS3 ... its probably so fast that they can flush out the last frame, use the memory for other things and then fill it back in , all within the time it takes to render a single frame...