[Football] Alan Shearer to be appointed Newcastle Manager...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ted/7975700.stm

BBC Sport understands that Alan Shearer will be appointed as Newcastle manager until the end of the season.

Magpies legend Shearer, 38, has been continually linked with a return to the club but has been critical of the current structure at the club.

Chris Hughton is currently in caretaker charge of the club as interim manager Joe Kinnear recovers from a triple heart bypass.

The Magpies are currently 18th in the table with 29 points from 30 matches.

Shearer scored 206 goals in 404 appearances during a 10-year playing stint to earn legendary status on Tyneside after joining for a record ?15m fee from Blackburn.

The former England striker, who retired from playing in 2006, has made no secret of his desire to become a manager one day.

It's also on Sky.com/news

He has no managerial experience, and for me this can only end one way for Newcastle and that is badly.

I still think he will come in, give the players a boost, and even probably win his first game. Newcastle might even survive relegation if he can get the passion flowing, but come next season I think he will struggle if he is still in charge.

He is no 'Messiah', and as Newcastle cannot get Kevin Keegan, he is the closest thing.

There is no Newcastle football team. Do they mean New England, or The NY Jets/Giants? I'm confused....

I'm not changing it to Soccer - It's Football. If a moderator deems it appropriate to change, then so be it.

There is no Newcastle football team. Do they mean New England, or The NY Jets/Giants? I'm confused....

This would be Soccer, I always tag my posts Soccer/Football.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ted/7975700.stm

BBC Sport understands that Alan Shearer will be appointed as Newcastle manager until the end of the season.

Magpies legend Shearer, 38, has been continually linked with a return to the club but has been critical of the current structure at the club.

Chris Hughton is currently in caretaker charge of the club as interim manager Joe Kinnear recovers from a triple heart bypass.

The Magpies are currently 18th in the table with 29 points from 30 matches.

Shearer scored 206 goals in 404 appearances during a 10-year playing stint to earn legendary status on Tyneside after joining for a record ?15m fee from Blackburn.

The former England striker, who retired from playing in 2006, has made no secret of his desire to become a manager one day.

It's also on Sky.com/news

Is this the first April fools for Britain?

Pls this is not handegg

hand_egg.jpg

Edited by mail

Pls this is not handegg

hand_egg.jpg

I was thinking more along the lines of 'hand prolate spheroid'....according to the NFL as to how to describe the shape of the pigskin

this actually made me lol

Me too.

I asked an American Football fan, 'why do you call a game played 99% of the time with the hands Football'?

He replied, 'gha, there is already a game called handball'.

He sure put me straight.....NOT!

So they can't call it an egg race as that was around before, so lets call it 'chuck the egg - run with the - egg -ball'.

To be fair, I was in the pub when this got announced. I got one text straight away, and I instantly thought 'Wow, Im slightly drunk, but not drunk enough to fall for an april fools'. Then I got a few more texts, and then more. So we asked for Sky Sports news on and I think the whole bar did a lolwat!

I hope he can keep us up, hes been my footballing hero for his whole time at Newcastle, I dont want that image to be changed at all. I think Ian Dowie can only help. Hes half decent even if he does come across as a bit stupid :)

To be fair, I was in the pub when this got announced. I got one text straight away, and I instantly thought 'Wow, Im slightly drunk, but not drunk enough to fall for an april fools'. Then I got a few more texts, and then more. So we asked for Sky Sports news on and I think the whole bar did a lolwat!

I hope he can keep us up, hes been my footballing hero for his whole time at Newcastle, I dont want that image to be changed at all. I think Ian Dowie can only help. Hes half decent even if he does come across as a bit stupid :)

I really hope so for your lot, I was discussing with someone today that he fails at Newcastle that image of him being a legend newcastle player will be tarnished...Newcastles job is like cursed :(

Its just the way our fans are that worries me. With regular managers, it takes one or two defeats and theyre booing and shouting for the axe. I dont think they'll be THAT bad with Shearer, hes instantly got so much respect from the fans.

But you never know with the fickle fans up here. It would be my nightmare to see them shouting for Shearer to walk away.

Bouncebackability :rofl:

Kinnear will Return

Newcastle United expect Joe Kinnear to return as manager this summer, when he has fully recovered from heart surgery.

Managing director Derek Llambias revealed that the former Wimbledon boss will take over from interim manager Alan Shearer once the season is over.

"Both Joe and the club have decided it is sensible that Joe does not return to management this season," said Llambias.

"He needs to concentrate on making a full recovery before his return in the summer as our manager."

Kinnear had a triple heart bypass in February and had initially been expected to return in April.

With his return delayed the club have turned to former Newcastle and England striker Shearer.

He has been appointed until the end of May and insists he will only be in charge at the relegation-threatened club for eight games.

"Joe is recovering at home. What part Joe has to play for next season or the season after that, you will have to speak to the necessary people (about). I have nothing to do with that," Shearer said.

Did anyone catch the press conference on Sky Sports News yesturday? Shearer seemed really upbeat and pleased, not to mention cracking some slightly out of character jokes :laugh:

I think he said "Were bringing in a fresh look, a fresh look.. not a pretty one" *looks over at Dowie*

• 2 weeks later...

I have a season ticket and i bought it solely on the notion that Kevin Keegan would be manager for the forseeable future. After he left i considered just throwing it away but now...Shearer is manager.

Although i don't think he'll work miracles i do think he is just the tonic newcastle need to get over the hangover they are still suffering from the Keegan affair.

I think judging by what he's already implemented internally, i think he has the making of a very old fashioned manager who will take no stick from the cocky young players of this generation.

Judging from his first two games, it looks like he's got the players battling a little bit more but he still needs to work on the midfield, especially the wingers because since we sold Milner and Insomnia, we dont have anyone with a final ball, and with Michael Owen floundering around up front with no service its something Shearer must address.

I do think he's getting somewhere with the defence as we coped well with Stokes constant attacks on Saturday and with Bassong and Taylor coming back i think we'll be alright defensive wise. Glad he made the call to drop Colloccini!