Countries with No Independence Day

Puerto Rico but not sure if we are a country by definition. To me we are a country.

you are more likely to become the 51st state before you become your own country.

We aren't independent, so no, Australia Day wouldn't be an Independence day.

I guess the death of a Queen will give us independence, and as a bonus, a president as well. :o

Riiiight, that's why the British Army still raises a full Brigade of Gurkha's every year even though the Raj fell 60 odd years ago. ;)

A brigade is 4-5 thousand soldiers, that's not a lot of soldiers when Britain was at the height of it's empire. When they would attack other countries with hundreds of thousands of soldiers. You just proved you weren't worth much effort.

A brigade is 4-5 thousand soldiers, that's not a lot of soldiers when Britain was at the height of it's empire. When they would attack other countries with hundreds of thousands of soldiers. You just proved you weren't worth much effort.

He is saying that we recruited, and still recruit, soldiers from Nepal. Nothing to do with attacking.

Technically Australia gained independence in 1986 with the Australian Acts where it became fully sovereign from Britain.

Ah, but the Queen is still the head of state of Australia, so its more independent than it used to be, but still not independent.

Puerto Rico but not sure if we are a country by definition. To me we are a country.

You can call Puerto Rico a nation (as in "the nation of x") I suppose. but not an independent state, which for our purposes on this thread is the same as "country". ;)

He is saying that we recruited, and still recruit, soldiers from Nepal. Nothing to do with attacking.

My poor English skills, stupid fourth language. Idea still stands, why attack a country that goes willingly to die for you.

My poor English skills, stupid fourth language. Idea still stands, why attack a country that goes willingly to die for you.

I don't think anyone said that?

You said they weren't worth invading and now infer that they arbitrarily helped the British.

The British attacked and failed to annex Nepal in early 1800's. In that campaign they realized the Gurkha's were indeed an impressive martial race especially in that harsh terrain and altitudes. They began incorporating them into East India Company forces by essentially guaranteeing Nepal's suzerainty and offering high positions in their forces in India. They remained loyal during the Sepoy Mutiny which further elevated their standing and were then fully incorporated into the British Indian army.

Pretty much any country who never declared independence from another country doesn't have such a day, which includes besides the UK the major European countries: Italy, Germany, France and Spain.

Actually the 25th of April is the Liberation Day in Italy, which is something very close to the Indipendence Day. You can check this on Wikipedia. Link.

On the list it says december first 1918 as the independence day for Iceland, that is wrong (that is the date we could control our own internal affairs, but we were still under the Danish king)

june 17 1944 is the correct independece day of Iceland.

No Independence Day here, I'm afraid.

Yeah. I guess you guys are still under the control of the crown right?

New Zealand's involvement in the "war on terror" only happened because they had to follow UK's lead right?

Here is another one: Antarctica! Beat that! :p

• 6 years later...

They celebrate when they declared Independence from great britain, as opposed to winning the war of independence. You should really know that living in the states :p

Winning is a bit strong.. We were distracted with our main pastime of the day, beating up the French! :p

Edited by FloatingFatMan

When you have Gurkha's, you only need a dozen or so. ;)

Ah, but the Queen is still the head of state of Australia, so its more independent than it used to be, but still not independent.

Aus is still Independent, just like Canada. Queen as the head of state or no, end of the day our gov't don't Require approval from the Crown (though we still ask for it, it's tradition). This would be true of most of the Commonwealth.

Aus is still Independent, just like Canada. Queen as the head of state or no, end of the day our gov't don't Require approval from the Crown (though we still ask for it, it's tradition). This would be true of most of the Commonwealth.

I don't know about Canada, but here our head of state is technically the Governor General, and the only power the Queen has is to approve their appointment (They're picked by our PM)

The UK government has no power over us, and hasn't for decades, if they actually tried to interfere via legal channels it'd be pretty damn odd.

I don't know about Canada, but here our head of state is technically the Governor General, and the only power the Queen has is to approve their appointment (They're picked by our PM)

The UK government has no power over us, and hasn't for decades, if they actually tried to interfere via legal channels it'd be pretty damn odd.

Indeed, the Queen is pretty much a ceremonial thing for you guys, as it should be.

• 11 months later...
22 hours ago, Raman Tandukar said:

Dear M.F.D.K

My

"NEPAL" doesn't celebrate any independence day. Please get some more information

But do they have one? it wasn't a list of countries that celebrated one.