• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Young Boys Torture Playmates

Hum    6,933

ENGLAND - Two boys suspected of torturing two young playmates before throwing one into a ravine had been questioned by police hours earlier over another attack.

As the victims aged nine and 11 continued to be treated in hospital, the parents of a chorister set upon a week earlier claimed police had not taken the first assault seriously.

With detectives continuing to question two brothers aged ten and 11 over what Children's Secretary Ed Balls condemned as a 'barbaric' attack, the role of the local council also came under scrutiny.

Both boys being held by police had been put in care by Doncaster Council, whose children's services department was recently described as 'chaotic and dangerous' following the death of seven vulnerable youngsters.

They had been living with foster parents after their mother told social services she could not control them. Yesterday, she said: 'It's got nowt to do with me - they weren't even in my care.'

Shocked relatives of the boys injured in both incidents angrily demanded to know why the authorities had not acted sooner.

The aunt of the 11-year-old thrown in the ravine said: 'They knew what the two attackers were capable of, but they did nothing.

'Social services should have taken them into more secure care, not just let them roam the streets. If he had been found just half an hour later my poor nephew would have died.

'Now the worry is that the people responsible won't be put away. They will go to a detention centre with a nice X-Box. That's not punishment if you ask me.'

Saturday's attack in the former mining community of Edlington, near Doncaster, began when the two boys - who were riding their bikes - were set upon and ordered to hand over their mobile phones, money and trainers.

When they refused, both boys were slashed 'from head to toe' with a knife, burned with cigarettes and beaten with bricks, according to witnesses who saw their injuries.

During the assault, the older boy whispered to the younger 'pretend you're dead' to try and scare off their attackers.

The 11-year-old victim, who is the nine-year-old's uncle, was allegedly then pushed 30ft down a steep embankment, suffering a severe head injury, while the younger boy - himself covered in blood - bravely staggered to nearby houses to get help.

A week earlier, Callam Flett, an 11-year-old choirboy at St John's Church in Edlington, had been lured to the same beauty spot, known as Brick Ponds, with the promise of seeing a giant toad.

There he was allegedly pounced on and beaten, knocked to the ground and kicked on the legs, chest and head.

'I did nothing to them at all but they began beating me up,' the traumatised schoolboy said yesterday.

'They stamped on my chest and head and were going mad. I was really frightened. I was absolutely terrified.'

Callam fell into the pond and managed to escape only when a man out walking in the nature reserve came to his rescue. 'He said he would hold them off for as long as possible and then told me to run quickly.'

The boy's horrified parents, Ken and Kerry, immediately reported the attack. Mrs Flett said: 'Callam was absolutely beside himself. He was shaking with fear and was totally terrified. He was black and blue, his lip was swollen and he had dreadful bruising on his cheek and on his legs and chest.'

A police officer came round the next day and took the attackers' descriptions, but according to Mrs Flett 'wasn't very interested'.

The couple told another officer who had attacked Callam, but claim they were warned 'we could get into trouble for bandying around their names'.

'I am appalled and shocked,' said Mrs Flett. 'The attack on my son was horrific and he could quite easily have been very seriously injured.'

Finally, the following Saturday, the two brothers were questioned by police - just hours before they allegedly attacked again.

'It is a total disgrace,' said Mrs Flett, who lives in the village with her husband, a glazing foreman.

'These two young boys could have been killed in this dreadful, violent attack. It was so preventable and if someone had only listened I think the police could have stopped it. The police ought to be ashamed.'

The couple are considering making a formal complaint. Officers took a videotaped statement from Callam yesterday - nine days after he was attacked - but South Yorkshire Police declined to comment on the claims.

Following this weekend's attack, the elder boy was airlifted to Sheffield Children's Hospital where his condition improved yesterday from critical to stable. He was taken off a ventilator and moved to a high-dependency ward, but it could be several days before police can speak to him.

His 16-year-old brother said: 'He could hardly open his eyes in hospital. They were swollen shut with a slice cut running along the bottom of one eye. His face is covered in bruises and cuts. He looks like he has been battered in a boxing match. None of us can believe what's happened. Kids get into little fights but this is something different. It's horrible.'

The nine-year-old was taken to Doncaster Royal Infirmary where he had surgery on a severe cut to his arm.

The brothers being questioned over the attack cannot be named for legal reasons, but the Mail has established that they have spent time in the care of Doncaster council, recently condemned as one of the country's worst authorities.

Detectives were yesterday granted another 36 hours to question them.

The interview process will have to be carried out in a 'sensitive' way because of the boys' ages, with a parent or guardian present at all times.

Last night the former pit town was breathing a sigh of relief as the boys remained in custody.

Mr Metcalf said: 'I think I speak for everyone when I say we are glad they have been locked up.'

full story & pics

-Vivicidal-    4

Sad - but I'm not suprised. The UK needs to sort itself out, this sort of thing happens all the time, but the criminals always get a good deal.

maplecookie    0

It's sad that the attackers in serious crimes seem to be getting younger and younger. It's happening everywhere.

Azusa    930
It's sad that the attackers in serious crimes seem to be getting younger and younger. It's happening everywhere.

oh they've been at it for years at that age in the UK.

Panacik    27

I dont think my generation was that bad, the generation below me was worse and it spiralled from there. I sat back and watched it happen.

Its like what teenages last year said, "you think our generation is bad!? Wait till you see the next few generations!". Sadly, those teenagers, i fear, where right.

Minimoose    2

Some people are seriously messed up :/ A few weeks ago someone around 16 was stabbed to death near to where I live.

strekship    16

Thats pretty sick.

When I read the title I thought it was going to be about young boys torturing playboy playmates.

Berserk87    49

wow....arnt there parents proud.

Macalicious    0
I dont think my generation was that bad, the generation below me was worse and it spiralled from there. I sat back and watched it happen.

Its like what teenages last year said, "you think our generation is bad!? Wait till you see the next few generations!". Sadly, those teenagers, i fear, where right.

We can thank the rise of the welfare state and the the decline in personal responsibility by parents for the children they have.

The 'I want I want I want' generation having children with the expectation of never actually following through with their obligations that come with being a parent.