Zune HD

Technologizer has learned that rumors surrounding the fourth generation Zune model are indeed true, and Microsoft’s music player would be getting a high-definition upgrade sometime in the fall, most likely in September or October. Sources close to the Zune team indicate that Engadget’s shots of the marketing materials are indeed authentic, but are fairly tight lipped on exactly what the player may have.

What we do know is this: the size of the device is set to come in smaller than the iPod touch (although we believe in size, not in thickness). Capacities should be competitive with that of the iPod touch, and like the touch, it would sport a touchscreen interface. The old click wheel would be replaced with a single-button as the pictures show.

We’re still trying to source out more information on it, but we do know with a good deal of confidence that this information is correct — these sources have accurately called the launches and specs of two previous launches (see my stores at Betanews: here and here).

zunehd_engadget_main_1.jpg

zunehd_engadget01.jpg

zunehd_engadget02.jpg

zunehd_engadget04.jpg

it's real :):):):):) :)

pics from engadget

source:http://technologizer.com/2009/04/10/confirmed-zune-hd-is-fourth-generation-model/

Edited by jonhapimp

Worldwide release of this one perhaps? If it fails to sell, they can get the monopolies commission on apple this time :p

If this is really true, thats a hit for Microsoft! Touch is what everybody is looking these days and Me. I've read a lot, but its all rumors here and there... I can't wait for some concrete info on how the next generation Zune will look and what new features will bring. I really hope its touch so I can get my fingers on it. So these are pics of the 4th generation and not the 3rd, am I right? So we'll could expect this in what, 2011?

But if its touch... you can start imaging the price.

If this is really true, thats a hit for Microsoft! Touch is what everybody is looking these days and Me. I've read a lot, but its all rumors here and there... I can't wait for some concrete info on how the next generation Zune will look and what new features will bring. I really hope its touch so I can get my fingers on it. So these are pics of the 4th generation and not the 3rd, am I right? So we'll could expect this in what, 2011?

But if its touch... you can start imaging the price.

microsoft already confirmed it if you read the op it's expected this in fall

The HD incentive is enough for me to move over from the iPod, and it looks sleek! :)

Radish?

The only way it will kill the iPod touch is if it has 1) stellar software, 2) an app store of some sort, and 3) DirectX. That would get the developers on side with Microsoft, which would get good games on the app store, which would pull in users.

That splash of color seems familiar as well...

Edited by Mr. Andrews

Looks very nice :) if it's released worldwide and is reasonably priced I might get one when it's time to upgrade from my Gen 1 Touch :)

I'd purchase it - but too bad Microsoft refuses to support Mac OS X. I guess they don't want people to purchase their product.

well they must not be losing alot of money since of the market share osx has but i know alot of people who want a zune but have osx

well they must not be losing alot of money since of the market share osx has but i know alot of people who want a zune but have osx

True, but it does prove they don't care about customers - just their own.

Then there is also the small matter of not it being available in overseas markets like New Zealand.

Would be nice if it could be running a modded WinMo 6.5 with Windows Market Place to face off the iTouch.

If it's only a normal PMP it won't have any specials benefits to it against the PMP-PDA-Game console that the iTouch is.

Would be nice if it could be running a modded WinMo 6.5 with Windows Market Place to face off the iTouch.

If it's only a normal PMP it won't have any specials benefits to it against the PMP-PDA-Game console that the iTouch is.

The Zune HD is most probably running a phoneless, super souped up and optimized version of Windows Mobile (6.7++/7) compatible build.

One site quoted the Zune HD having quite some of 7's features, and the App store/App compatibility is stupid to ignore, so it'll have a lot of common ground with the WVGA Winmo 7 phones I think.

Now I can see better what LG was thinking when they signed up for 50 Winmo phones. 7 must be quite impressive from closed demos.

The Zune HD is most probably running a phoneless, super souped up and optimized version of Windows Mobile (6.7++/7) compatible build.

One site quoted the Zune HD having quite some of 7's features, and the App store/App compatibility is stupid to ignore, so it'll have a lot of common ground with the WVGA Winmo 7 phones I think.

Now I can see better what LG was thinking when they signed up for 50 Winmo phones. 7 must be quite impressive from closed demos.

Zune OS is not a optimized version of Windows Mobile. It is a optimized version of Windows Embedded, which is also what WIndows Mobile is also made out of but there OS's are not the same.

The only way it will kill the iPod touch is if it has 1) stellar software, 2) an app store of some sort, and 3) DirectX. That would get the developers on side with Microsoft, which would get good games on the app store, which would pull in users.

That splash of color seems familiar as well...

I don't think DirectX support will do much, since Windows Mobile already supports DirectX, and Apple are only a couple of percentage points behind them in market share this soon after the iPhone release (compared to how long WM has been around)

OpenGL support could help since that would make WM devices compatible with the standard that everybody else is using.