• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

TruckWEB    480

In The New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/13/business...tml?ref=economy

One plan under consideration would create a new company that would buy the ?good? assets of G.M. almost immediately after the carmaker files for bankruptcy.

Less desirable assets, including unwanted brands, factories and health care obligations, would be left in the old company, which could be liquidated over several years.

Treasury officials are examining one potential outcome in which the ?good G.M.? enters and exits bankruptcy protection in as little as two weeks, using $5 billion to $7 billion in federal financing, a person who had been briefed on the prospect said last week.

So, everything will fall into place on June 1 deadline. I wonder what will be left of GM, what are the "good" assets? Other than the Volt...

What do you think GM will keep alive? My bet goes to Chevrolet, GMC and Cadilac. Everything else GONE.

peacemf    59

you forget the european brands??? like opel, which is good, volvo (dont forget its trucking business!)

personally if i browse GM website i find that chevy, GMC and caddy have the same cars and vans just rebranded!

shockz    5,738
In The New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/13/business...tml?ref=economy

So, everything will fall into place on June 1 deadline. I wonder what will be left of GM, what are the "good" assets? Other than the Volt...

What do you think GM will keep alive? My bet goes to Chevrolet, GMC and Cadilac. Everything else GONE.

You are thinking too linear... think more of platforms... Epsilon, Theta, Zeta, engines, etc... None of their brands are performing well... you could argue all day over which ones should be cut. It's probably going to be more about the body styles/models, engines, and the like. There's plenty to cut and change there.

They should do something with the brands though... Chevy for cars, small trucks, family things... GMC for industrial/heavy duty, Cadillac or Buick (not both) for upscale, and Pontiac for sporty things. Right now for example you've got a Buick LaCrosse and a Chevy Impala... not that much of a difference... aside from a grill and tail lights. There's no diversity, major differences, etc... people neglect the other brand over the other because the cars are virtually identical. Why buy that LaCrosse when the Imapla's got the same engine, same look, almost identical interior, and cheaper.

Edited by shockz

MulletRobZ    2
you forget the european brands??? like opel, which is good, volvo (dont forget its trucking business!)

personally if i browse GM website i find that chevy, GMC and caddy have the same cars and vans just rebranded!

Uh, Volvo is not part of GM. It's part of Ford, which is trying to unload that brand.

And as for the OP, Buick is definitely going to be safe, along with Chevrolet and Cadillac, given the fact that Buick is popular in China. GMC would only be worth keeping if it was transformed into a strictly commercial vehicle brand. And as for Pontiac, the only cars they have that are worth keeping are the Solstice and the G8, both of which can easily fit into other brands. The Solstice could be moved to Buick with upgraded interior and a new name, while the G8 (or another Zeta derivative) could replace the Chevy Impala.

Macalicious    0

the problem with GM is that they've got too much range; they need to focus on the middle 80% of what people want - and leave the niche players to worry about the remaining bit. The problem is that they've sliced and diced the market into such fine segments they can never really get the economies of scale off a single model to drive down the costs.

Symbiotic Hat    1

Raise your hand if you didn't see this coming.