Reiser4 for Ubuntu 9.04

@HawkMan - No, I don't have much experience in area of how company's manage assets regarding IT departments in general, but I was trying to apply common sense.

Also, I didn't forget the tech side of things, I mention it in my post in the last sentence that you quoted.

Back to the subject, I just see as consumer side of things having to double click an icon and use software. I genuinely don't see the huge mystery behind difficulty to adopt, I mean even the icons will look the same.

Users will not have to install/update or carry out any type operation that actually is different to Windows.

Common sense don't apply to users, they're dumb, beyond dumb, they're machines who can't adapt to the slightest change and need help restarting a printer.

I know if I went and installed Linux on my parents computer they would be like... WTF is this? And they are as layman as they come when it comes to computers.

Anyone used to Windows that isn't tech minded WILL need training

No, I fix a lot of computer, for both professional and hobby reason. Sometime, people have too old box to run XP or don't want windows anymore (of course, they ask for OSX, but that's not legal so I can't really do it, even if I know how and bring DVD with me). They are fine with linux, even if the are 60+ years old. You just have to pick the right DE and the right software. Normally, I take LXDE or JWM, because they implement all feature from win98 and "just work". Most of them only want something take "just work" day after day. Of course, I will have to return 3-6 time to teach them how to do little things, buts that not real traning, only adding an icon on the desktop. Linux is better than win98, it is also easier to use, so it is not too hard for them. Of course, KDE and gnome are a little harder, but even there, some people just choose to use those DE, even is LXDE is installed and simillar to XP. I am not talking about tech or kid there, but 50+ years old doctor or lawer.

I know if I went and installed Linux on my parents computer they would be like... WTF is this? And they are as layman as they come when it comes to computers.

Oh, come on. These would be the same people that need "training" to use Vista when they were on XP.

But training is a one time cost, while paying licenses goes on forever.

There might be other issues depending on each company's needs but if we are to consider training alone, switching would pay for itself in most cases.

My father is 56 and uses Ubuntu. It's really not that difficult to switch if the user isn't hell bent against it.

He likes the fact that he don't have to really worry about where he goes or what he does. I am currently in

the mode of switching my sisters over as well and my sister considers the "E" on the desktop the internet.

My experience shows me that unless there is some specific application or game that one needs to run, most

of those who really use their computer to surf the net and check email and other basic things, which is a huge

portion of the home user base, don't have too many issues with it.

Which they would have required when they started using Windows.

My step-father can't even use Windows, my Mother on the other hand has no problem at all using Windows, Linux and OS X.

My experience shows me that unless there is some specific application or game that one needs to run, most

of those who really use their computer to surf the net and check email and other basic things, which is a huge

portion of the home user base, don't have too many issues with it.

That's been my experience as well.