Windows 7, black area around monitor?

So, I decided to change my resolution from its native to 1360x768 and when doing this, Windows 7 does not stretch the image the way Windows Vista/XP does, I'm left with a resized resolution in the middle of my monitor with black areas around it.

Is there any registry key or way to fix this so that it behaves like previous versions of windows?

Running build 7077 with an ATi Radeon X1950pro

Very thin lines, right? I got used to it heh.

Not quite....my monitor's native resolution is 1680x1050 and i'm resizing to 1360x768.

So i'm left with huge black areas around the monitor where normally the it would stretch to fit.

Pressing the "auto" button on my monitor does not help.

Not quite....my monitor's native resolution is 1680x1050 and i'm resizing to 1360x768.

So i'm left with huge black areas around the monitor where normally the it would stretch to fit.

Perhaps your changing the aspect ratio from it's native format to another format? You can change the orientation in the Display dialog under Resolution.

post-118616-1240373117_thumb.jpg

Did you try the settings on your monitor? I mean other than that auto button which you were saying earlier. The settings window that you will find the zoom in/out, expand to the monitor screen or shrink.. even the rotate the screen. If you are not sure what I am saying, I suggest that you check the monitor's manual that comes with your monitor or on the website.

If not working, try to go to your monitor's website for the drivers. Since you have Win7, it could be a bug.

• Like 2

Did you try the settings on your monitor? I mean other than that auto button which you were saying earlier. The settings window that you will find the zoom in/out, expand to the monitor screen or shrink.. even the rotate the screen. If you are not sure what I am saying, I suggest that you check the monitor's manual that comes with your monitor or on the website.

If not working, try to go to your monitor's website for the drivers. Since you have Win7, it could be a bug.

+1 Usually monitors will have ways to adjust it so you can be rid of the black borders around your picture, happens a lot when people use LCD monitors with VGA connectors rather than DVI connectors

does the same with my monitor, well i think its the same thing.. there is only black spaces at the top and bottom, but this seams more like a feature than a bug

Thanks for the help guys, but i'm assuming this is something new in Windows.

Whenever i'd change the resolution in Vista/XP it would do it just fine and have the whole picture take up my monitor's screenspace (even it looked sort of blurry)

Now, however, changing the resolution keeps the text crisp and just resizes the screen in the center of my monitor, leaving me with black borders similar to widescreen movies....

Like, if I were to take a saw and saw off the black borders of my monitor it would look fine.

What I want it to do is to just fill up my monitor's screenspace like previous versions of Windows would do when you change the resolution, let me see if i can capture a picture to explain what i'm talking about..

I've tried the latest drivers 9.3 and they won't install. It stops with an error message.

Is there a way to enable scaling with Microsoft's drivers via registry?

Also, i am using a DVI cable :)

post-757-1240373928_thumb.jpg

The scaling is done by the driver. Check your driver settings controls.

On an nvidia driver, it is accessible at Display->Change flat panel scaling in the nvidia control panel. I am not aware of ATI. But it should be similarly described.

I had that same issue with an ATi driver at one point with Vista. I would uninstall the driver, and try the driver available from Windows Update.

The scaling is done by the driver. Check your driver settings controls.

On an nvidia driver, it is accessible at Display->Change flat panel scaling in the nvidia control panel. I am not aware of ATI. But it should be similarly described.

Thanks, now we're getting somewhere...

However, I don't have any driver options available with the default Microsoft ones, and ATi Catalyst software from March (9.3) won't install and the newest 9.4 drivers no longer support my card (Radeon X1950pro)

post-757-1240374329_thumb.png

post-757-1240374338_thumb.png

Install the 9.4 (or 9.2 drivers if you have an older ATi card) with the catalyst control center. Under one of the settings in the catalyst control center there is the option to stretch the screen. This has nothing to do with Windows 7 actually, it would happen in Vista too if it was set to not-stretch in the drivers.

Install the 9.4 (or 9.2 drivers if you have an older ATi card) with the catalyst control center. Under one of the settings in the catalyst control center there is the option to stretch the screen. This has nothing to do with Windows 7 actually, it would happen in Vista too if it was set to not-stretch in the drivers.

Cool, I got 9.2 to install and the Catalyst Control Center works. However, I can't find the option to stretch or enable scaling of any kind.

Thanks for the help guys, but i'm assuming this is something new in Windows.

Whenever i'd change the resolution in Vista/XP it would do it just fine and have the whole picture take up my monitor's screenspace (even it looked sort of blurry)

Now, however, changing the resolution keeps the text crisp and just resizes the screen in the center of my monitor, leaving me with black borders similar to widescreen movies....

Like, if I were to take a saw and saw off the black borders of my monitor it would look fine.

What I want it to do is to just fill up my monitor's screenspace like previous versions of Windows would do when you change the resolution, let me see if i can capture a picture to explain what i'm talking about..

I've tried the latest drivers 9.3 and they won't install. It stops with an error message.

Is there a way to enable scaling with Microsoft's drivers via registry?

Also, i am using a DVI cable :)

Since you are using DVI mode... it's not video card. you need to adjust via monitor settings. Not display settings. Don't you see "Menu" on your monitor? If so, go there and find the window where you are able to adjust the screen which allow you to zoom in/out.

I had that problem before when I was using my LCD TV for my computer using DVI cable.

• Like 2

Since you are using DVI mode... it's not video card. you need to adjust via monitor settings. Not display settings. Don't you see "Menu" on your monitor? If so, go there and find the window where you are able to adjust the screen which allow you to zoom in/out.

I had that problem before when I was using my LCD TV for my computer using DVI cable.

All of my settings to adjust the screen are greyed out on my monitor's menu options.

Resolution changes worked fine in Vista, and i've just installed Windows 7 today, so it has to be something to do with either the driver or how Microsoft made changes to how Windows does resolution changes.

All of my settings to adjust the screen are greyed out on my monitor's menu options.

Resolution changes worked fine in Vista, and i've just installed Windows 7 today, so it has to be something to do with either the driver or how Microsoft made changes to how Windows does resolution changes.

Then you have 2 options:

Plan A) Buy a VGA cable as long as your monitor and computer have VGA ports. This will solve this problem instantly.

Plan B) Buy a new video card that is a win7 compatible. An associate will help you at the store to find the right card for DVI mode. Get nvidia card like that guy above.

• Like 2

It' really a driver thing. My nvidia driver has exactly the configuration for that:

scaleing.png

ATI should have the same, you can try to search a bit more or wait until they release a Windows 7 compatible driver for your card.

This is where the option is for me on my notebook.

On my desktop it's listed under Digital Panel (DVI) and has more options available.

Do you have drivers for your monitor installed?

post-46165-1240379216_thumb.png

Edited by giantpotato

Why not just increase the DPI instead of lowering the resolution if all you want is to make everything bigger.

I have no issues with having the resolution scale to the size of monitor since my monitor automatically does it for me. Whether nVidia's drivers can do it properly is another matter.

Thanks everyone for the help, looks like I will be getting another video card sooner or later.

giantpotato, unfortunately mine doesn't have the options yours has.

xiphi, tried that, and it works okay. I might have to use that as an alternative.

At least now I know :-p

Maybe ATi will create one more set of drivers for the "outdated" x1900 series that can address this by the time Windows 7 reaches RTM.

Thanks everyone for the help, looks like I will be getting another video card sooner or later.

giantpotato, unfortunately mine doesn't have the options yours has.

xiphi, tried that, and it works okay. I might have to use that as an alternative.

At least now I know :-p

Maybe ATi will create one more set of drivers for the "outdated" x1900 series that can address this by the time Windows 7 reaches RTM.

The 'legacy' graphic cards will be still supported on a quarterly basis.

Some of the black border problems were resolved via Catalyst 9.4 drivers.

Just wait for the package that is compatible with your cards, OR - mod the inf files to add support for X1900 series.

If you can provide me with your Hardware ID I could mod the 9.4 inf for you.

The 'legacy' graphic cards will be still supported on a quarterly basis.

Some of the black border problems were resolved via Catalyst 9.4 drivers.

Just wait for the package that is compatible with your cards, OR - mod the inf files to add support for X1900 series.

If you can provide me with your Hardware ID I could mod the 9.4 inf for you.

Really? I would really appreciate that a lot..

post-757-1240388422_thumb.png