Photophors

Question

I've created a very simple site called Photophors in order to create a database of image metaphors. To my knowledge there is no similar project and some may wonder why even start a little project like this but I think it may prove very helpful for graphic artists and even those who regularly create fliers, presentations and web sites; but only very helpful with user contributions.

Say that you've been given the task of creating a flier for a college group's upcoming discussion on holy war. On that flier you may want to include images. If so, you'll need images that both make the flier look interesting and help convey the meaning of the upcoming meeting. So, for example, you may include a picture of a sword, a soldier, or a solider wielding a sword. Sounds obvious enough right? But what about more abstract ideas like power or God? For a presentation on theology proper (i.e., God) you may employ clouds or a burning bush as image metaphors. In all these instances I think a site like Photophors may prove very helpful by suggesting possible metaphors.

I've only created the site in the last week and haven't fully implemented everything I'd like to see in place. The most needed feature is pulling in (or linking to) pictures from photo sites likes flickr and sxc.

I'm interested in feedback on the project: whether the idea of Photophors is helpful, unique, worthwhile, etc; not necessarily on the graphic appeal of the site as I think a very basic set-up like it has now may suffice for its intended purpose. Also, I wanted to solicit contributors to the project: any one interested in simply suggesting possible one word metaphors for ideas. It's really quite simple to contribute to the project.

http://photophors.com

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet