Deadly new flu strain erupts in Mexico, U.S.

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - A strain of flu never seen before has killed up to 60 people in Mexico and has also appeared in the United States, where eight people were infected but recovered, health officials said on Friday.

Mexico's government said at least 20 people have died of the disease in central Mexico and that it may also have been responsible for 40 other deaths.

Mexico reported more than 1,000 suspected cases and four possible cases were also seen in Mexicali, right on the border with California.

The World Health Organization said tests showed the virus from 12 of the Mexican patients was the same genetically as a new strain of swine flu, designated H1N1, seen in eight people in California and Texas.

Source: Reuters

Wonder if Dr. Deagle's proposals are coming true..

The end begins!

Seriously I wonder if this is it.

All hell breaks loose and what not. I wouldn't be surprised one bit.

Oh sh*t 300 posts?! Fook yeah! *Tonight we dine in hell!*

I'm in Mexico, this is like a big thing here in Mexico, The schools are closed, movie theaters and theaters are closed also, there are many people talking about this in Twitter. This is BIG!!!

I'm in Mexico, this is like a big thing here in Mexico, The schools are closed, movie theaters and theaters are closed also, there are many people talking about this in Twitter. This is BIG!!!

Wow man.. be careful seriously, If I were you I wouldn't eat out period just be safe, sure your groceries aren't any safer avoid the pig and what not.

So the bird transmitted the avian flu to the pig and a new strain was formed?

Wow man.. be careful seriously, If I were you I wouldn't eat out period just be safe, sure your groceries aren't any safer avoid the pig and what not.

So the bird transmitted the avian flu to the pig and a new strain was formed?

Yeah i know, i think its a combination of Bird/Pig/Human flu

Yeah i know, i think its a combination of Bird/Pig/Human flu

Yes.

WHO considers raising global pandemic alert level

Mexican authorities confirmed that samples tested both at the National Microbiology Laboratory in Winnipeg and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control tested positive for swine flu viruses. The unusual influenza A H1N1 viruses were first reported earlier this week, when the CDC announced it had found two human cases of infection with this never-before-seen virus.

Though human H1N1 viruses have been circulating for decades, it is not clear how much protection previous infection with them would confer against a virus made up predominantly of swine flu genes. The virus also has some bird genes and one human gene.

U.S. authorities have confirmed seven cases of swine flu infection in people in Southern California and Texas over the past few days. The seven range in age from nine to 54 years of age. All have recovered from the infection; one needed hospitalization.

But the news coming out of Mexico paints a different story, with reports of a fairly high attack rate and more than 20 deaths.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...ernational/home

IMO this thing has to be man made... I mean seriously "The virus is an influenza A virus, carrying the designation H1N1. It contains DNA from avian, swine and human viruses" !!!

IMO this thing has to be man made... I mean seriously "The virus is an influenza A virus, carrying the designation H1N1. It contains DNA from avian, swine and human viruses" !!!

And cue the conspiracy theorist !!! And now you'll say this virus was engineered by the U.S. to destroy the Mexican drugs cartels but the stealth bomber that was delivering it went off course and instead of hitting Juarez City it hit Mexico City.

Doesnt this flu thing happen every single year? I'm pretty sure i've heard it on the news as a mjor outbreak for the past 4.

I think its only really deadly to elderly, already ill, and children.

so i dunno

i haven't had the flu for probably 10+ years now. hope i never get it again. ha it sucks.

yes, same thing, differnt year. We've seen this same story before. Over 30,000 people in the US alone die each year from the flu, and up to 500,000 die world wide every year.

And cue the conspiracy theorist !!! And now you'll say this virus was engineered by the U.S. to destroy the Mexican drugs cartels but the stealth bomber that was delivering it went off course and instead of hitting Juarez City it hit Mexico City.

Hmm, probably not, but the virus was most likely created due to genetic engineering. I mean companies like Monsanto have been infusing human genes in sheep and rabbit embryos which have resulted in rabbits and sheep born with similar vital organs to ours. Maybe these scientists have gone a bit toooo far :)

In biological research, chimeras are artificially produced by physically mixing cells from two different organisms. Chimeras are not hybrids, which form from the fusion of gametes from two species (like a donkey and a horse) that form a single zygote that will develop as much as it can (in this case into a live mule if the parents are jackass and mare, or a hinny if the parents are stallion and jenney); in comparison, chimeras are the physical mixing of cells from two independent zygotes: for example, one from the donkey and one from the horse (or a human and an animal). "Chimera" is a broad term and is often applied to many different types of mixing of cells from two different species. ?For example, in 2007, scientists at the University of Nevada School of Medicine created a sheep that has 15% human cells and 85% animal cells.

(Wikipedia).

Quote from Joe Cummins, Professor Emeritus of Genetics, University of Western Ontario:

"Rabbits engineered to produce human growth hormone were mainly sterile but a few animals were recovered which produced milk rich in human growth hormone. Such rabbits could escape and spread as hurabs [a cross between humans and rabbits]. The topic hasn't been discussed in public."

http://www.earthsave.ca/articles/health/ge...ring_blues.html

Human gene inserted into rice:

Perceived benefit: produce medicine against diseases (like cystic fibrosis).

http://online.sfsu.edu/~rone/GEessays/humangenesrice.htm

Edited by V9s

Hmm, probably not, but the virus was most likely created due to genetic engineering. I mean companies like Monsanto have been infusing human genes in sheep and rabbit embryos which have resulted in rabbits and sheep born with similar vital organs to ours. Maybe these scientists have gone a bit toooo far :)

This is just wild speculation.

No, that's just ridiculous :p BUT I mean.. C'mon! Bird, Pork and HUMAN dna :s?! That doesn't sound weird to you...

+1

It's not wearing tinfoil hats, it's just about doubting that WHOLE process ocurred naturally

Or, the even likelier option is that the virus did what viruses do.. It mutated.

Doesnt this flu thing happen every single year? I'm pretty sure i've heard it on the news as a mjor outbreak for the past 4.

I think its only really deadly to elderly, already ill, and children.

so i dunno

i haven't had the flu for probably 10+ years now. hope i never get it again. ha it sucks.

A flu scare happens yearly - yes, but this isn't your run-of-the-mill flu.