• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

New basement needs new TV and speakers

Denis W.    731

Recently our house's basement got a fresh new coat of paint and the floor redone, pulling it away from an old 70s styled basement to a more contemporary (although plain) one. It used to have an old crappy CRT down there, but that sucker doesn't fit into a now largely spacey and empty basement. :p

Almost half a year ago I asked you guys to recommend some TVs, and mostly due to Mystic's suggestion I got the LN32A550. That TV set works great, even though its speakers are tinny. This time around, I'd like to go for a set that's slightly bigger, or at least the optimal screen size for my basement's dimensions.

So the requirements:

- An appropriate size to fit a basement that's about 3.8 metres from wall to wall, with about 2.9 metres distance between viewer and TV. Last time I suggested 32" for my living room, but it turns out that's a bit too small. :p Still a decent size though, but for HD viewing... probably not.

- TV brand should be Samsung. Apparently my mom knows of a friend whose nephew is a Samsung dealer.

- Must connect to my HTPC. My HTPC sports an Asus Radeon HD 4550 that has a VGA, DVI and a HDMI connector (though I'm not sure if the HDMI is just for audio, for video, or both). This HTPC is currently connected to the LN32A550 via a really crappy VGA cable that I'm ditching soon. It creates a crazy amount of ghosting on screen.

- Cost: As low as possible. Hopefully no more than a thousand CAD, or at least a bit above that.

- Unlike the TV upstairs it won't be paired with a Rogers digital terminal, so it's stuck on analog cable. It should do a decent job at filtering out visual noise. Actually, on second thought this one would be paired up with the terminal, so noise shouldn't be a problem here.

In addition, it'll be paired with speakers. Right now I'm using an old 2.1 Cambridge Soundworks speaker for the LN32A550. The speaker has input for two analog and one SPDIF source. Currently one input is to the TV and one to my HTPC. The HTPC will be moved downstairs to this new TV, so it'll need another speaker set to go with it. Even with these speakers, they work great as long as the volume isn't too loud.

Even though they're computer speakers, my initial suggestion are the Logitech X-540s. I have the X-530s for my main desktop and they're still going strong. I'm only picking this given its price point of about $90-100 CAD; the main costs here are for the TV not speakers. With these though, I'm not sure how to handle splitting the audio output between the TV and the HTPC, yet. Perhaps there are better speaker sets at a similar price point that allow multiple sources to be connected, yet still allow 5.1 output from all sources. I can settle for a good 2.1 set if need be.

Suggestions? If the setup I described above sounds completely dumb, I apologize. I'm still a complete noob. :p

Edited by rm20010

+StevoFC    21

you can get a LN40A550 for under $1000.

Denis W.    731

How about the LN40B550?

Also for speakers, now I'm leaning towards the G51s as it apparently has space for PC and AUX input.

bdsams    365

cant go wrong with a samsung, the b550 should suit you well...hell all of the samsungs out now are stunning (minus the LED sets, not a big fan of them)

Denis W.    731

Since my first post it looks like I'm going a bit beyond the 550. :p But first, a question about speaker connections:

There's my HTPC that has a SPDIF Out plug on its back (motherboard is GA-MA74GM-S2). I was pondering about the Logitech Z-5500 that has a digital coaxial connector like this:

imagef.jpg

So I can get a digital coaxial cable with two male RCA plugs, and I should be able to let the speaker system decode Dolby Digital and DTS signals... right?

Also about the HD cable box, for digital audio output there's the coaxial connection and a TOSLINK connector - but this one is the one with the grey 'door' on it. The Z-5500 has the other connector type, the door-less one with two notches on the connector sides. Should I just stick to analog audio for the HD cable box, or find some adapter for these two different TOSLINK connectors?

5Horizons    1
So I can get a digital coaxial cable with two male RCA plugs, and I should be able to let the speaker system decode Dolby Digital and DTS signals... right?

Yes.

Also about the HD cable box, for digital audio output there's the coaxial connection and a TOSLINK connector - but this one is the one with the grey 'door' on it. The Z-5500 has the other connector type, the door-less one with two notches on the connector sides. Should I just stick to analog audio for the HD cable box, or find some adapter for these two different TOSLINK connectors?

They might look a little different, but I'm pretty sure they're the same thing.

Denis W.    731
They might look a little different, but I'm pretty sure they're the same thing.

Are they really the same? Looking at this picture I extracted from a PDF off Toshiba's site,

post-99705-1241558088.png

the second and third sets don't have notches on the side, unless they're hidden behind the plastic door.

TEX4S    116

Oh BOY have I got a setup for you !!!

I introduce the Runco 103" Plasmawall:

and some Krell LoudSpeakers :

oh and you need these amps from McInstosh:

Now youre set !

When you get it all installed - call me so I can come over and watch some Blu-Ray stuff !

Dont worry about the price - its around $250,000.00

Denis W.    731

Oops, forgot to update this thread.

After looking at the demo TVs offered for sale at Best Buy and Futureshop, I decided we should get something a bit larger. Much larger. And a set that looked stunning and offered a fast refresh rate. We set our eyes on the LN52A650, going for $2599 at Best Buy. Going through the Samsung dealer, we walked away with that same set at $2100, saving us a whopping $836.87 if you factor in taxes for a Best Buy purchase. :happy:

As for the speakers, I still stuck with the Z-5500s and so far they're great. But...

It suffers from a bad case of sleeping too much. :ermm: Say if the system was idling and the PC played the Vista/Win7 welcome sound, it'll take the speakers a second before it finally sends sound to the speakers. This is via a coaxial connection. Pretty sure it isn't the cables' fault as I got fairly high quality ones via a local cable distributor. Also sometimes I leave the system at Pro Logic II Music or Stereo x2, and it'll forget to send sound to the center and rear left/right speakers. Do I have a faulty control pod?