Ridley Scotts "Prometheus" (2012)

Cameron already explained why they were angry, the Engineers seeded life on earth, created us in their image, they are "god". Over time our race got corrupted and they kept sending emissaries to earth to try and put us back on track (hence why each stage in our civilisation has the image of the star map), eventually they decided to give us one last chance and sent a final emissary "jesus" and we crucified him. The engineers want to destroy their creation because of how we turned out.

Also I can't stress this enough, this ISNT a prequel to Alien or the Alien franchise.......there are no plot holes because this film has NOTHING to do with Alien, Aliens, Alien 3 or Alien Resurrection.

I'll say again, how does it ruin Aliens? Does it change anything that happened in Aliens? No. It's not even considered to be related to the Alien films, just that its set in the same fiction/universe.

Xenomorphs are not a mutation of the engineers. Humans are a mutation of the engineers, humans infected with the mutagen turn into rampaging zombies, human intercourse resulted in the mutagen creating what would ultimately evolve into a facehugger, facehugger implanting into an engineer created the Xenomorph.

So basically the Alien is the result of mistakes, stupidity, and a lot of ****ing around. Part of what made the Alien so cool was that it was supposed to be this ultimate killer. A perfect organism, able to exploit its prey to immediatley evolve to suit its environment. Something deliberately created with evil intent and purpose. Prometheus tells us the Alien was just the result of coincidence and chance. Why didn't they just say that the Alien evolved from the combination of Engineer mutagen and Elizabeth Shaw's gonorrhea? That would have been more scary.

But in the engineer's facility there is a mural of a xenomorph. Doesn't that not prove that the engineer's purposely built the black liquid to mutate into such a creature?

There a lot of things they have fix in this new franchise, for example the Aliens. Predators used them to hunt for sport on earth, how than are the Aliens still around if they werent created yet?.

Predators have NOTHING to do with the Alien franchise. AVP is it's own seperate cannon.

But in the engineer's facility there is a mural of a xenomorph. Doesn't that not prove that the engineer's purposely built the black liquid to mutate into such a creature?

It looked like a giger-esque alien thing, but I'm not sure what it meant. I don't think the movie makers even thought it through that much. The black goo turned the worms into penis snakes. It turned a human into a zombie thing. It was transmitted to a woman via intercourse and she gave birth to a squid thing that grew into something vaguely like a huge facehugger that impregnated an Engineer with something that emerged looking very much like an Alien. If that was supposed to be the outcome, it sure required a very convoluted method to get there. But hey, I guess that's why they're called Engineers. You'd have to be some kind of super engineer to create such an overly complicated biological Rube Goldberg machine.

Also I can't stress this enough, this ISNT a prequel to Alien or the Alien franchise.......there are no plot holes because this film has NOTHING to do with Alien, Aliens, Alien 3 or Alien Resurrection.

I think this is a cop out on Ridley's part. So he did not have to correct any errors in the story. I liked the story but think he should made it separate or really made a prequel. It could of been so easy just changing a few details. This is weak on his part. Fans will always see it as a prequel and discuss the differences.

Now my take on the story. Engineers made humans in the beginning of the movie. does not matter why..they just did using the black goo and the death of one of them. humans messed up over time and they decided to kill off. they have many engineering xenomorphs in production. We do not see any aliens in the movie we see other prototypes. (this is my theory). The aliens are their own species and the engineers captured many to gene-gineer and mess with the DNA. As can be told by the predators hunting them for ages before too. This planet was used as a testing ground for the different types of creatures they were making using the Aliens.

I found a few parts of the movie the decisions people making silly. Wayland risked everyone's life to try and extend his own. while I believe that is a sound motive, some of the actions make no sense, but then I have to think he is purely a business man and not a scientific person.

It looked like a giger-esque alien thing, but I'm not sure what it meant. I don't think the movie makers even thought it through that much. The black goo turned the worms into penis snakes. It turned a human into a zombie thing. It was transmitted to a woman via intercourse and she gave birth to a squid thing that grew into something vaguely like a huge facehugger that impregnated an Engineer with something that emerged looking very much like an Alien. If that was supposed to be the outcome, it sure required a very convoluted method to get there. But hey, I guess that's why they're called Engineers. You'd have to be some kind of super engineer to create such an overly complicated biological Rube Goldberg machine.

The mural was a label for the lab, and the effects of the goop depend on the manner in which it's taken and how much.

Saying it's overly complicated is kind of neither here nor there, as we didn't see exactly how the Engineer's utlized the liquid.

It's not a prequel? Yeah sure, because it's the same ship that is found in Alien... And the Engineer at then end, seems like and alien got out of him....

The only thing that could make me doubt that it's a prequel would be the technological continuity between Prometheus and Alien. Since the action in Prometheus happens well before Alien, it's special to see more technology in the Prometheus ship.

You know what really ****es me off about this film?

"It's not a prequel to Alien"

That single phrase. It's a total cop-out for plot-holes, poor story telling and open-ended nonsense. It IS 100% a prequel. It is set on the same timeline and within the same realm as Alien but in the "past". It shows the genesis of the main protagonists and antagonists of the Alien franchise. It shows the beginnings of the story from the franchise. It IS a prequel.

Fine, say it's not the same ship if you wish, I will gladly accept that. Doesn't mean it's not a prequel.

And to that end, I believe here is it's major failing. I believe it was conceived as a prequel, but at some point that changed. And when such an important aspect of a film is changed you invariably get a mess (to some degree).

It's not a prequel? Yeah sure, because it's the same ship that is found in Alien... And the Engineer at then end, seems like and alien got out of him....

The only thing that could make me doubt that it's a prequel would be the technological continuity between Prometheus and Alien. Since the action in Prometheus happens well before Alien, it's special to see more technology in the Prometheus ship.

Dude, it doesn't even take place on the same planet as Alien...

You know what really ****es me off about this film?

"It's not a prequel to Alien"

That single phrase. It's a total cop-out for plot-holes, poor story telling and open-ended nonsense. It IS 100% a prequel. It is set on the same timeline and within the same realm as Alien but in the "past". It shows the genesis of the main protagonists and antagonists of the Alien franchise. It shows the beginnings of the story from the franchise. It IS a prequel.

Fine, say it's not the same ship if you wish, I will gladly accept that. Doesn't mean it's not a prequel.

And to that end, I believe here is it's major failing. I believe it was conceived as a prequel, but at some point that changed. And when such an important aspect of a film is changed you invariably get a mess (to some degree).

He stated it started as a prequel but changed over time.

They changed just enough details but not viewers perceptions of what the movie should be. He failed on delivery this time. Great movie. failed delivery

Yeah yeah, sorry Dude...

- Alien was LV-426 and this one was LV-223... Hey, it's called "LV" in both movies...

- Same corporation in both movies, Weyland...

- The ship found in "Alien" is the same, with the Engineer, in suit, dead in his "command post"...

- We see the same ship again in "Aliens" when the terraformer are asked to go look in that sector...

The only thing not pressent in this movie, are the facehuggers and chestbursters aliens. They look more like squids

But, no, it's not a prequel, it's not the same thing AT ALL.... No relation, completely new movie.

Yeah yeah, sorry Dude...

- Alien was LV-426 and this one was LV-223... Hey, it's called "LV" in both movies...

- The ship found in "Alien" is the same, with the Engineer, in suit, dead in his "command post"...

- We see the same ship again in "Aliens" when the terraformer are asked to go look in that sector...

The only thing not pressent in this movie, are the facehuggers and chestbursters aliens. They look more like squids

But, no, it's not a prequel, it's not the same thing AT ALL.... No relation, completely new movie.

I saw a quote on I09 the other day...... Ridley Scott took 33 years to come back to the universe of Alien, with the don't-call-it-a-prequel movie Prometheus

Yeah yeah, sorry Dude...

Seriously?

- The LV means nothing, it is just a tag added as a way to catalogue planets and galaxies, much like our galaxy has odd names such as Sxx, NGC, CW xx. LV-426 isnt LV-223.

- I don't have a rebuttal to the Weyland corporation tie in.

- Of course the ship found in Alien is the same, just like our space shuttles look the same, that doesnt mean its the same ship

- The only reason you see the same ship again in Aliens is because the Weyland Yutani Corp went back there after finding the ship Ripley was in, they want the Xenomorph to use as a biological weapon.

It's not a prequel to Alien, its a prequel to the fiction behind the movies, how the Xenomorph came to be.

Watched it last night, a good film not great.

Felt like the actors apart from Fassbender (who played "David" really well) came across as reading from a script with no emotion.

there are no plot holes because this film has NOTHING to do with Alien, Aliens, Alien 3 or Alien Resurrection.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Xenomorphs are not a mutation of the engineers. Humans are a mutation of the engineers, humans infected with the mutagen turn into rampaging zombies, human intercourse resulted in the mutagen creating what would ultimately evolve into a facehugger, facehugger implanting into an engineer created the Xenomorph.

Wrong, as we've already seen an Engineer with his chest ripped open, (which happened 2000 years before the nonsensical David-can-see-the-future implantation of the virus via intercourse) which makes the logic of the movie fall apart. But it's no biggie, as there's not much logic to begin with, and the only point of this movie is to try and beat its own record of the times it was contradicting itself.

This movie is a POS and Damon Lindelof should be banned from writing.

the only point of this movie is to try and beat its own record of the times it was contradicting itself.

This movie is a POS and Damon Lindelof should be banned from writing.

I agree. He let down the current and future fans. It is a cop out. I just rewatched all the Alien movies here in the last 2 days at work and I cannot let this go. It is difficult to make a prequel of a popular movie (see star wars). Everyone was expecting a prequel. Even Ridley scott started to say this was a prequel...then later retracted and said this has nothing to do with the alien universe, then said something else..blah blah blah. He started to figure out he was gonna get flack for what DL wrote. See the last 40 pages of this forum postings.