Ridley Scotts "Prometheus" (2012)

In a recent interview with art-director Roger Christian, he let slip to Shadow Lock that 20th Century Fox will release their Alien prequel in 3-D. "Ridley's doing the next Alien in 3D," Christian told the site adding, "Ridley told me some of his ideas when we were here in Toronto. He has a very clear understanding of where this should go. They kind of stopped dead one of the greatest horror franchises there's ever been, and it had legs to go on. So I'm hoping he'll revive another three. The world certainly wants it, and the fans want it - everybody." Ridley Scott, who brought the first Alien into the world, will be going back behind the camera for the untitled prequel being penned by Jon Spaihts.

Source

In a recent interview with art-director Roger Christian, he let slip to Shadow Lock that 20th Century Fox will release their Alien prequel in 3-D. "Ridley's doing the next Alien in 3D," Christian told the site adding, "Ridley told me some of his ideas when we were here in Toronto. He has a very clear understanding of where this should go. They kind of stopped dead one of the greatest horror franchises there's ever been, and it had legs to go on. So I'm hoping he'll revive another three. The world certainly wants it, and the fans want it - everybody." Ridley Scott, who brought the first Alien into the world, will be going back behind the camera for the untitled prequel being penned by Jon Spaihts.

Source

I can see it now.. facehuggers flying off the screen.

As long as it's not gimmicky, then I'm looking forward to this.

Agreed, although i dont remember any modern day movies that have anything like the "atmosphere" of the original Alien, 2010, Blade Runner etc.

Things have moved on and something has been lost, or maybe its just i got older and it doesnt scare the living bejezus out of me any more bacause of that.

• 1 month later...

MTV spoke to the filmmaker about his new film Robin Hood and was able to uncover some details about this upcoming project. Scott says that the story has been decided, they are in their fourth draft, and that designers are already ?working graphically on designs for the various requirements of the film.? In the next few weeks he?ll have to turn a ballpark budget figure to the studio, but Scott is adamant that the film is actually going to happen. What is the story about? Scott explains:

?It?s set in 2085, about 30 years before Sigourney [Weaver's character Ellen Ripley]. It?s fundamentally about going out to find out ?Who the hell was that Space Jockey?? The guy who was sitting in the chair in the alien vehicle ? there was a giant fellow sitting in a seat on what looked to be either a piece of technology or an astronomer?s chair. ? [The film] is about the discussion of terraforming ? taking planets and planetoids and balls of earth and trying to terraform, seed them with the possibilities of future life.

In a 2002 interview, Scott wanted to return ?to where the alien creatures were first found and explain how they were created.? It sounds like this idea has been incorporated into the prequel/reboot. Jon Spaihts is writing the screenplay, a job he earned after pitching the studio and production company Scott Free. Spaihts has no produced credits, but has written Shadow 19 and Passengers, both of which are also sci-fi space thrillers. Star Wars and Alien art-director Roger Christian previously confirmed that the movie will be shot in 3D.

(MTV)

Collider was at the Robin Hood junket today and learned that Ridley Scott has plans for not one, but two prequel films. Scott referred to the two films as ?prequel one and two?, but admits that he is only working on part one at the moment. So who knows when he might ever get around to part two. Scott also confirmed the previous report that he will shoot the prequels in 3D.

I have this crazy idea that maybe they should come up with something original and brand new? rather then rehashing something that's already been done to death? Maybe I'm the only one, but I'm getting kinda tired of all these "reboots" and whatnot, would like to see some fresh ideas (Avatar was a good start, despite the story being a rehash of Pocahontas :p Still the universe was fresh and different).

To the topic at hand, as cool as it would be to learn more about the "Space Jockey" and more on the origins of the Aliens...I think that is better left to official books that can go into a lot of detail and really flesh it out...rather then trying to fit it all into a movie. To be honest, the Alien movies were great but I feel no need to redo them, but that is just me.

Originals were great, but limited to their time. New technology can make them far more believable. Like Scott himself, I'd be against a sequel. But a prequel is fine with me as it doesn't ruin the originals. It just helps explain how they originally started. I'm really looking forward to this.

As for original ideas vs reboots. Consider all those original horrors they came up with. If I see another Saw I might have to shoot someone. Just pathetic. At least rehashing these classics doesn't involve people being hacked to bits. Fear is a lot more than slowly dying.

I agree James Cameron's Aliens (#2) was Absolutely the BEST!!!

With Respect to Ridley Scott, James Cameron were the better director!

Lay off the excitement cheerleader, both directors attempted to do different things with the franchise. Scott wanted a suspense/horror movie, Cameron wanted a suspense/action movie. Both did a great job and their works stand as their own.

Lay off the excitement cheerleader, both directors attempted to do different things with the franchise. Scott wanted a suspense/horror movie, Scoot wanted a suspense/action movie. Both did a great job and their works stand as their own.

Agreed.(Y)

I have this crazy idea that maybe they should come up with something original and brand new? rather then rehashing something that's already been done to death? Maybe I'm the only one, but I'm getting kinda tired of all these "reboots" and whatnot, would like to see some fresh ideas (Avatar was a good start, despite the story being a rehash of Pocahontas :p Still the universe was fresh and different).

To the topic at hand, as cool as it would be to learn more about the "Space Jockey" and more on the origins of the Aliens...I think that is better left to official books that can go into a lot of detail and really flesh it out...rather then trying to fit it all into a movie. To be honest, the Alien movies were great but I feel no need to redo them, but that is just me.

I completely disagree. I don't think Aliens has been done to death at all. And no one is "redoing" the Aliens films either. I think the Aliens universe is great because there could potentially be lots of films set in different times with different characters and different angles. I always wondered why they stopped making them.

Also there is not that many reboots and remakes, people are always overacting about that.

• 1 month later...

In this interview with Hero Complex's Geoff Boucher, Scott talks about many of his movies, including the original Alien, Blade Runner, Legend etc. But this is all about the highly anticipated prequel to his first(best?) film.

Here are the main bits. With both quotes from Scott, and bullet points of info..

?I sat thinking about the franchise, which now has died on the road somewhere way back and lying in the dust, and thought what I should do is go back? in the first Alien, when John Hurt climbed up and over the top of the rise? there was a massive giant lying in a chair. The chair was either a form of engine or some piece of technology and I always thought no one has ever asked who was the space jockey??

- The Alien prequel will be broken into two films. The scripts are written and Scott is prepping it now.

- Time frame is way before Alien. Not only will we find out who the Space Jockey is, we?ll find out where his people come from.

- The first Alien was The Old Dark House with 7 people with an unwelcome visitor. Scott loved the script, but it was a very basic screenplay.

-The prequel will go further into the world of terraforming and will focus on the realities of what it takes to leave for another planet. He mentioned the theory of Near Faster-Than-Light travel, which is complete science fiction at the moment; ?Mr. Spock stuff? as he called it, rearranging matter essentially, but theoretically possible. ?But what we?re allowed to do by movies is to cheat like hell. But I think the closer it is to the truth, the closer it is to the technological feasibility then it becomes that much more interesting. And if it?s a film like the one I?m going to do, then it becomes that much more frightening.?

Scott also mentioned they're going to be exploring Zeta 2 Reticuli, the same system from Alien. Naturally they'd be going back at some point if the prequel leads up to Alien, but from what Scott was saying it seems like this system plays a large role in the prequels.

- On the Space Jockey: ?I think beneath that carcass? it?s not a carcass, it?s a suit. Inside the suit is a being.?

Source

Could be good. All I know is the Aliens series are my favorite of all time, number 2 to LOTR. So anything might be pretty good for me.

what is this space jockey they are on about? i don't recall it... is there a screen capture?

• 1 month later...

Uh-oh. I don't know if I should be glad or mad. Lost was a decent show and I liked the original script for this prequel so I guess I'm on the fence here. If he does re-write it, I hope it's as good as the previous story and not as overly-complex as Lost.

• 1 month later...

We?ve known for years that Ridley Scott has wanted to return ?to where the alien creatures were first found and explain how they were created? for his Alien prequels, and bit by bit, he?s been expanding on what such an origin story would entail.

In an interview with The Independent, Scott spent a great deal of time not-so-modestly reflecting on his career, but also shared some brief details on the first of the 3D Alien prequels.

The film will be really tough, really nasty. It?s the dark side of the moon. We are talking about gods and engineers. Engineers of space. And were the aliens designed as a form of biological warfare? Or biology that would go in and clean up a planet?

These few sentences help clarify an earlier interview with Scott, in which he said:

It?s set in 2085, about 30 years before Sigourney [Weaver's character Ellen Ripley]. It?s fundamentally about going out to find out ?Who the hell was that Space Jockey?? The guy who was sitting in the chair in the alien vehicle ? there was a giant fellow sitting in a seat on what looked to be either a piece of technology or an astronomer?s chair. ? [The film] is about the discussion of terraforming ? taking planets and planetoids and balls of earth and trying to terraform, seed them with the possibilities of future life.

In other words, the terraforming in some way results in the creation of the alien creatures, and the film will likely join a slew of other sci-fi films in demonstrating the consequences of playing God.

Read more: Ridley Scott Talks Alien Prequels | /Film http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/09/05/ridley-scott-talks-alien-prequels/#ixzz0yhCfSpDv

I'm highly skeptical of this. Alien is one of the best horror/sci-fi films out there, but Ridley's recent output displays such a deterioration in artistic merit that it's hard to imagine this living up to the best of the series. All this talk about it being much faster-paced and shot in 3D only fuels the pessimism. I don't need to see the origins of the Alien. I don't need to see what happened to the space jockey. Don't you get it, Ridley? Not knowing was part of why the first is so great. Oh well, I'll still watch it when it comes out. He damn well better make it closer to the first film than Aliens, which, as entertaining as it is, is inferior to the first, and looks dated.